EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a solution for the sunset if OnStar? Several years ago this happened in Canada and OnStar offered a converter that changed 2G to 3G and their OnStar service continues. I called OnStar and they have no plans of doing this for us. I have a 2013 Enclave and I sure don’t want to lose my remote OnStar features.

·
Registered
7,092 Posts
Maybe 2 yrs ago i got a notice of free upgrade for the electronics.
I lost track of time.
Never received another notice regarding upgrade.
Maybe it got too expensive for onstar?

·
Registered
2022 Buick Enclave Premium Sage Metallic
35 Posts
Anyone have a solution for the sunset if OnStar? Several years ago this happened in Canada and OnStar offered a converter that changed 2G to 3G and their OnStar service continues. I called OnStar and they have no plans of doing this for us. I have a 2013 Enclave and I sure don’t want to lose my remote OnStar features.
Only thing I saw was where the 2015 and above can get OTA updates to help with a small number of 2015s that are inactive or have a disabled OnStar system would require a hardware replacement. Doesn’t appear to be free though. Older vehicles like yours that already went through a previous sunset likely would have to pay to upgrade their OnStar hardware if that’s an option….which makes sense as it’s not realistic to expect free upgrades of hardware for the life of ownership especially for models at or around 10 years+ of age. Not sure how expensive the updated hardware would be but if keeping service us important to you and you plan on keeping your Enclave for as long as possible it might be worth checking into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Only thing I saw was where the 2015 and above can get OTA updates to help with a small number of 2015s that are inactive or have a disabled OnStar system would require a hardware replacement. Doesn’t appear to be free though. Older vehicles like yours that already went through a previous sunset likely would have to pay to upgrade their OnStar hardware if that’s an option….which makes sense as it’s not realistic to expect free upgrades of hardware for the life of ownership especially for models at or around 10 years+ of age. Not sure how expensive the updated hardware would be but if keeping service us important to you and you plan on keeping your Enclave for as long as possible it might be worth checking into.

I’m sure many would be willing to pay for the upgrade!! I’m definitely one of them!! The GMC shop here looked around in their information and said there is no upgrade to be had. I’m hoping someone else has found something. I have never received any notice of an upgrade option; and it doesn’t sound like any were offered for 2014 and down. Mine is a 2013 and in excellent shape. I love my car and will not be getting rid of it. I am hopeful someone finds a way to help solve this problem for so many of us

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’m sure many would be willing to pay for the upgrade!! I’m definitely one of them!! The GMC shop here looked around in their information and said there is no upgrade to be had. I’m hoping someone else has found something. I have never received any notice of an upgrade option; and it doesn’t sound like any were offered for 2014 and down. Mine is a 2013 and in excellent shape. I love my car and will not be getting rid of it. I am hopeful someone finds a way to help solve this problem for so many of us
The upgraded hardware appears to only be for 2015 and up. Maybe the wiring or something needed isn’t present in the older models. But I would contact GM corporate and ask if any options can or will be made available. It honestly may not be possible unless a 3rd party customization shop can figure something out (not sure if they could though). Hopefully someone will figure it out though.

·
Administrator
775 Posts
There are no options for a 2013 as it was the old 2G system and it's just being dropped.

Do not expect GM to offer any solutions for these vehicles as their statement is clear that there won't be any, other than calling onstar from your phone or using their Guardian app on your phone (which can't do any of the remote key features since it has no way to talk to the car).

If you're looking to replace OnStar's safety features like crash detection you're basically out of luck. For a while OnStar offered "OnStar FMV" (For My Vehicle) where you could buy an OnStar mirror and it gave you all the features of OnStar for a vehicle that didn't come with OnStar but they discontinued that a long time ago.

If you're looking to just be able to remote start/lock/unlock your car from ranges beyond what the keyfob can do you could install an aftermarket remote start and buy a subscription. This is the one I had installed in my Audi since Audi doesn't do factory remote starts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are no options for a 2013 as it was the old 2G system and it's just being dropped.

Do not expect GM to offer any solutions for these vehicles as their statement is clear that there won't be any, other than calling onstar from your phone or using their Guardian app on your phone (which can't do any of the remote key features since it has no way to talk to the car).

If you're looking to replace OnStar's safety features like crash detection you're basically out of luck. For a while OnStar offered "OnStar FMV" (For My Vehicle) where you could buy an OnStar mirror and it gave you all the features of OnStar for a vehicle that didn't come with OnStar but they discontinued that a long time ago.

If you're looking to just be able to remote start/lock/unlock your car from ranges beyond what they keyfob can do you could install an aftermarket remote start and buy a subscription. This is the one I had installed in my Audi since Audi doesn't do factory remote starts.
Thank you! I wish someone would invent a converter… not necessarily GMC… just someone wanting to help all of us that are in this predicament. I will check into the remote start…

·
Registered
228 Posts
About 10 years ago, On Star offered an aftermarket mirror that allowed anyone to use the service. It was self contained with GPS chip, bluetooth and cell chip for communication. I have no idea if it's still available or something similar to replace it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About 10 years ago, On Star offered an aftermarket mirror that allowed anyone to use the service. It was self contained with GPS chip, bluetooth and cell chip for communication. I have no idea if it's still available or something similar to replace it.
Yes, thank you. That was exactly what I was hoping for us now… but OnStar says they have nothing like that now. I’m hoping someone else will decide to make something like that again, so we can upgrade if we wish.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, thank you. That was exactly what I was hoping for us now… but OnStar says they have nothing like that now. I’m hoping someone else will decide to make something like that again, so we can upgrade if we wish.
Depending on what features you want a quick Google search finds solutions. They won’t be OnStar but again…depending on what you’re looking for it seems to meet a lot of needs. Viper for example seems to offer App Start (if you use the My Buick app to start your car and lock it then that seems to be thr equivalent) and offers some other features like standalone GPS, alerts, etc. Would have to look deeper into it and other options to be sure they fit what you’re looking for but it seems promising. Don’t think there is anything that will give you actual OnStar unless GM/OnStar decides to offer equipment for upgrades if possible for older vehicles but it’s possible that that the cutoff of model year 2015 and newer may exist because the older vehicles can’t be upgraded

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MaryLou, What features of OnStar are you using? I have not researched, but there may be other systems available from the aftermarket.
My favorite features are the remote start and unlock, knowing it will call for help if I am in an accident, knowing I can call my family if my cell phone is acting up. I also appreciate OnStar could shut my car off, if it was stolen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts