EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone here tell me.....if you get the Verizon Family plan, will you still have the same phone number as the OnStar system, or will it change?
Thanks,

·
Registered
71 Posts
The number changes. The service stays the same. Your calls are billed to your Verizon plan. If you ask OnStar for minutes, it tells you they do not apply. Instead you get the minutes from OnStar. For my plan that is 700 a month for the phones on the plan.
If you are going to do it, I would suggest you use your OnStar minutes before switching.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
With the portability of phone numbers now, why couldn't you keep the existing vehicle phone number? ???

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can port a number over to your car but you need to remember that the enclave is a separate number. Therefore, it wouldn't do a lot of good to do it because you still need a traditional cell when the enclave is part of a family plan. That would leave your traditional cell with a new number and the enclave with the old number. Either way, you will end up with a new cell number on one of your lines because you are adding another line of service to your bill. However, if you are getting rid of one of your phones and you want your enclave to have that number...I guess you can do that.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Why can't you simply port the car phone number over to Verizon and add it to your existing service, if you already have Verizon? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Zman,
When I asked my rep why they had to change the number I was told that certain numbers fall into OnStar billing for calls and others fall into Verizon for their rates and billing. I agree they should be able to import the number, but apparently that would require their pushing 2 buttons instead of 1 or some other lame excuse. Oh well I can't remember the car's number anyway and do not give it to anyone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And there's another weird thing about this....I googled this subject and came up w/ an Onstar page that said IF you want to port your assigned number out of the car when you sell it......then the car has to be re-programmed and could cause a big problem. I wish I could find this page again, but I can't.

The Verizon store I went to said I could port my Sprint number over to the car....but then if I want to port it out when I trade cars eventually I could have a problem.

The Verizon department through Onstar knows way more than the Verizon rep at the store. If you go ahead and establish Verizon service, you can add a line through the Onstar/Verizon department when driving down the road....after you've used all the free minutes....plus any of the cheap minutes you may have purchased when you first signed up w/ OnStar.

Also, if you are signing up for Verizon as a new customer they should give you 2000 bonus minutes.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm scratching my head on this whole thing. Now that I have my Enclave, I got the 10 free minutes like everyone else, but mine isn't associated with anyone but onstar. It's just a direct dial through onstar. I even asked the onstar rep if it was associated with Verizon and he said no. I can purchase minutes through onstar and use them as a separate phone. Even have a different phone number for the car. How does this fit in with the Verizon thing? We're obviously talking about two different things, but I was only offered one.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
They are different from each other. There are essentially two ways to use the phone in your car - you can either buy minutes through Onstar, or you can sign up for a plan through Verizon. The Verizon plan is $10 per month if you add the car line to an existing Verizon plan. Either way, I believe you use the phone in the same fashion. It then becomes a matter of who you pay and how much you pay. For how much we use the phone in the Enclave I think it is cheaper for us to simply pay the higher per minute rate through Onstar than pay the $10 per month bump to add yet another line to our Verizon plan. If you are not a Verizon customer you then have the whole debate about whether to switch your primary cell phone carrier or not.

G

·
All the very simple answer to this subject is numbers can only be ported from one phone carrier to another... OnStar as much as GM and people like the service.... it is not a phone company so they have what we in the telecom industry call "sudo numbers" they are not true phone numbers. OnStar owns a block of these ID's in order to be able to have calls to terminate to the cars. The way it works is like you taking your home phone line and forwarding it to your work number, which is why Verizon likes this deal with OnStar because they can charge for two numbers for one line of service. ;D

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was not going to use OnStar past the initial offering until I found out that OnStar partnered with Verizon. I actually saved money because my 3 existing Verizon numbers were not on the Family Plan. The Family Plan with the extra phone (which brings my total phones to 4) is cheaper then my prior bills. I usually call forward my cell phone to the Verizo/OnStar number when I am traveling. I am satisfied and do not need blue tooth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The reps at Verizon store do not know much about how the OnStar System works with Verizon. When I picked up my Enclave, OnStar gave me a new phone number. A couple weeks later I contacted OnStar/Verizon and the service rep. was very helpful. She explained how the system works and canceled my prior OnStar phone number and assigned me a new phone number. She was even able to give me a phone number that was only 5 numbers off of my cell phone number. When I am in my car for a lengthy period of time, I can forward my cell phone to my OnStar phone line. The charge is $10/month and we still get free night and weekend minutes, so this is much cheaper than OnStar minutes. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts