EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone else got the email from OnStar to participate in this pilot program using OnStar Turn-By-Turn navigation linked to MapQuest? I signed up a couple of days ago, no charge if you have "turn by turn", which everyone has with a Clave. Pretty slick in that you go to MapQuest and setup a destination and click "send to OnStar. You can name/setup 5 different routes. Get in your vehicle & hit the call button & say virtual advisor & it will come back with the routes you've setup. Say the route & it will download the turn by turn to your Clave & away you go! Slick! The advantage is that you set it up in advance which saves you, and them, the time needed to call for directions. I would think this would be a no charge option when made generally available as you are saving OnStar the need to talk to a live person. :woot:

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i looked on mapquest and i couldnt find anything?

·
Registered
167 Posts
i'm not meaning to down this whole idea.
it's actually great except, the last half dozen times i used
mapquest, it was really off.
hopefully they got their stuff together since 6months ago.
this was one of the reasons why i purchased a gps option in the first place.
So, anyone testing please give us all some feedback.
i would like this if it worked out well.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not totally sure exactly how this works. I don't know if MapQuest plans the route or OnStar? I've used this 2 times successfully and really all you do on MapQuest is enter where you want to go & then send it to OnStar. I don't see where MapQuest gives you the routing so maybe its the same as using OnStar turn by turn with MapQuest just telling it where you want to go??? I guess time will tell but so far so good...

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Now that's the kind of stuff that makes On-Star even more appealing. I'd sign up!
So what are you going to gain, don't you have Nav already?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have NAV and with this you can setup your routes before you get in the vehicle & it tells/shows where to go. Just a matter of preference like most things.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I definitely see this as a great help if you dont have the NAV.

A

·
0 Posts
The biggest improvement here over just asking for an address is multi-segment routing. If you have more than one stop to make, you can create a much more complex route using mapquest (and insure that it's the route you want to take - i.e. avoiding toll rds, etc) rather than having to call Onstar after every stop and get a new route.

I tried to sign up to be a beta tester when this started and got rejected. I had no idea it was already available to the public. Good info!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't think it is avail to the general public yet. I received an email saying I was selected to participate in the pilot project before its released to the general public. Why was I selected?? I don't know except maybe because I have used the OnStar turn by turn quite a bit?? Who knows...

Here's a copy/paste of part of the email:

You are invited to be part of a pilot program for a new OnStar service before its national introduction. OnStar Web Destination Entry allows you to find any destination on MapQuest and have Turn-by-Turn driving directions sent directly to your vehicle. Enroll now.

No cost, no risk
There's no cost to enroll in the program, and you will enjoy unlimited access to OnStar Web Destination Entry for 90 days from your enrollment date. Learn more.

We need your input
Because you'll be among the first to test OnStar Web Destination Entry, your feedback will help get this new service ready for its public debut — and shape its future. Look for a survey to gauge your opinion and experience in the near future.
[/color]

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I guess I should check my email more often I received the same invite from Onstar. I guess I'll try it out.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
:eek:fftopic: A little off-topic here...

Just FYI, a note about On-Star: I have had On-Star for 6 years, in two different cars. For the most part it is a great service. But, I have been given wrong information on two occasions. One was with directions--the on-star adviser insisted I needed to go ON the OFF ramp on an interstate highway. She would not listen to what I told her and I finally disconnected her, I was getting so frustrated. She called back and said "I cannot help you if you refused to follow my directions". :confused: :eek:hno: :sosad: >:D :'( ::) ???

The second time is when I had a gas leak directly under the engine. I called On-Star to see if I could start and drive it 5 miles to my dealer. She put me on hold for so long, I just called the dealer myself and the service department told me "NO"...seconds later she returned saying "Yes, you are safe to start and drive your car." Afterwards, I called On-Star regarding what the advisor had told me and they just said I expected too much. But really isn't that a pretty simple question? And if it isn't, should they say they are not qualified to give that advice? ??? :confused: :mad:

Don't get me wrong I am still using On-Star and plan to continue, hoping the bugs are worked out eventually. I think with improvements in Mapquest, we will see improvements with On-Star. Just something to think about.[/color]
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
OnStar Web Destination Entry Program

About two months ago I received an invitation from OnStar to participate in the Virtual Advisor trial program. Here’s how it works. You can go to mapquest, enter a destination and click “Send to OnStar.” You enter your email address and pin number and the directions are sent to your vehicle. Once you get into your car it gives you turn by turn directions until you reach your destination.

I’ve used it three times so far. This weekend I took my daughter to a birthday party at a school friend’s house. Once I activated OnStar it tells me “You recently added an address for ‘John’s house.’ Is this where you’d like to go?” It’s really easy and it saves me from slowing down to read street signs as I’m going 45mph down a highway. So far I’ve been impressed with the system.

Is anyone else participating in the trial virtual advisor program? If so, what do you think of it so far?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Re: OnStar Web Destination Entry Program

I was not invited to participate, but I am interesting in finding out if anyone knows when this will be rolled out to the rest of the dirty, unwashed masses. It seems cool for those of us that would rather not deal with someone on the end of a phone who may or may not speak English, but rather retreat to our computers.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

zman said:
I was not invited to participate, but I am interesting in finding out if anyone knows when this will be rolled out to the rest of the dirty, unwashed masses. It seems cool for those of us that would rather not deal with someone on the end of a phone who may or may not speak English, but rather retreat to our computers.
I agree that this sounds like a really nice addition to the onstar package. Zman, I have only called Onstar 4 times so far in the 2 months I have had the car just to try out some of the features (have yet to try the concierge package, but that sounds really cool) and actually not to sound prejudice, I have been impressed that I have gotten an english speaking, non-accented, person on the line each time. Have you not had this or were you just "cracking wise"??? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts

zman said:
:banghead: :banghead: Was this one of the secret features reserved for cool drivers? Did I just let the cat out of the bag? At least the free golf trip with Tiger is still a secet. Oops. :eek:

It has never occurred to me to hit the call button to ask for help with directions. I know it's there but it's not something I think about. Then again, if I were lost I'd be one of those people who tried to figure it out on my own rather than calling for help. So the mapquest feature works great for me.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

axiama said:
:banghead: :banghead: Was this one of the secret features reserved for cool drivers? Did I just let the cat out of the bag? At least the free golf trip with Tiger is still a secet. Oops. :eek:

It has never occurred to me to hit the call button to ask for help with directions. I know it's there but it's not something I think about. Then again, if I were lost I'd be one of those people who tried to figure it out on my own rather than calling for help. So the mapquest feature works great for me.
You really should just do it for fun once. We went to Massachutsettes (sp?) this weekend to a horse deal and I thought I would try it. Not only was the person at onstar very nice it is just plain cool. The directions come over the speakers like the nav, but also show up on the DIC in terms of what road your on, how far to your next turn etc. Being almost as old as Mr. Buick, I am still amazed at what technology has advanced to today. It was also quite accurate counting down turns from 100 yds to 50, 25 and then 0. Hard to get lost with it.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts

.....old MRBUICK here......
Yes, the turn-by-turn navigation works great, have used it several times.
I am used to navigation by Rand-McNally, and I don't adapt to new technology well, but I love it.
Keep in mind that I still have a B&W TV and a rotary phone, and I hang my clothes on a clothesline, and I wash my clothes in the river on a washboard, I write by using a chisel and stone tablet...........oh, you get the picture :D

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

MRBUICK said:
.....old MRBUICK here......
Yes, the turn-by-turn navigation works great, have used it several times.
I am used to navigation by Rand-McNally, and I don't adapt to new technology well, but I love it.
Keep in mind that I still have a B&W TV and a rotary phone, and I hang my clothes on a clothesline, and I wash my clothes in the river on a washboard, I write by using a chisel and stone tablet...........oh, you get the picture :D
Too funny again...you are on a roll lately (don't do anything fuelish to name one). Do you have some moderator power that allows you to automatically see any of my posts that discuss your age!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You forgot candel light to read by and leeches when you are sick :thumb:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts