EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - I have been reading and following most of the posts on here, and I will say that I have learned lots. This is from someone who owns 8 Buicks, everything from a 1965 Riviera GS to a GNX, and many in between. I would like to hear all ideas and opinions on my situation. I currently drive a 2004 Buick Rainier everyday. I trade in regularly, and this is the year I will. Here is where I want ideas and opinions. Should I wait for the 2009? When would I be able to order or get from dealer stock? When will the available colors be made public for 2009? Or, do you think I would be able to cut a good deal on a 2008 as we get closer to the new model, especially with the economy slowing? My Rainier is fine and still under extended warranty. Just want everyone's 2 cents - don't be bashful. I was wondering about color selection for 2009 for the better half - she wants WDT. Ok, let the responses flow, and thank you all in advance. This board has really helped me already.
PS - I am used to torque, and even in my Rainier, when I see a hill, I manually downshift out of 4 into 3. I have not test driven an Enclave yet.

Joe

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hi Joe and Welcome to the forums! Your opinions may be split amongst those who are having issues with their Enclaves and those who are not. I am one whose manufacture date was 8/07 which seems to be the magic month for the problem Enclave. Because of that my opinion would be to wait for the 2009 to let them hopefully learn from our issues and work the bugs out. It sounds as though your Rainier is a great vehicle for now so I wouldn't get into the rush. I also don't think you will see any great rebate on the 2008 because the vehicle is in such high demand.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you will find no shortages of opinions here...I have a WDT and it is a great color, we have ebony interior and love that as well. I personally would wait for the 09 if for no other reason, the DI V6 with new tranny software. This should add more power, better fuel economy, and a better tranny to engine match. If I were in your situation without needing a vehicle, that is what I would do. The 09 is likely to be somewhat more expensive, although no one knows how much, it will have some additional features such as cooled seats and bluetooth. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I would probably wait and order an 09 although that is also not without risk. With an 08 at least you should have a feel for what the issues are. The 09's seem like they will have some nice new features but there is always the risk of the transmission programming for that being less than stellar due to the engine change. Everyone assumes it will be better but it is possible that it could be as unsatisfactory as the initial Lamda transmission release.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Hello JoeBuick. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for being a loyal GM/Buick man! :thumb:

Just my $.02 is to wait and get the '09 if for nothing else but the DI engine. If there was anything I would like to see improved with this fine vehicle, it is the mileage. Everything I have read is that the DI engine will get better mileage AND have more hp and a more useable torque band. That would be more than enough for me to wait a few extra months. Throw in the availability of cooled seats, xm navtraffic and bluetooth and it is a "no brainer". Good luck and let us know how your "journey" goes.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
:welcome: Joe! I love my Enclave, but why not wait for the latest and greatest version later in the year?! Cooled seats and Blue Tooth would certainly be on my list of "wants" in a new vehicle!

Hey guys, what's the DI engine? I missed something...
::)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Rosita2001 said:
:welcome: Joe! I love my Enclave, but why not wait for the latest and greatest version later in the year?! Cooled seats and Blue Tooth would certainly be on my list of "wants" in a new vehicle!

Hey guys, what's the DI engine? I missed something...
::)
Well my dearest Rosita, I am not the best engine guy for you, but the DI stands for direct injected and means the gas is sprayed into each cylinder in a finer mist which increases the burn and gives you more energy output per volume of gas or something like that. It means a little more horsepower and a little better fuel economy in the same sized engine. Someone else could explain in more detail....I'm a tranny guy now ;D ;D :beer:

·
Registered
758 Posts
ccaats said:
Hello JoeBuick. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for being a loyal GM/Buick man! :thumb:

Just my $.02 is to wait and get the '09 if for nothing else but the DI engine. If there was anything I would like to see improved with this fine vehicle, it is the mileage. Everything I have read is that the DI engine will get better mileage AND have more hp and a more usable torque band. That would be more than enough for me to wait a few extra months. Throw in the availability of cooled seats, XM navtraffic and bluetooth and it is a "no brainer". Good luck and let us know how your "journey" goes.
Although this may be true, so far there is no data to support better fuel economy for the 3.6 DI engine. More power means that a smaller engine that is more fuel efficient could be used.

The Cadillac CTS with the DI engine has one mpg less in the city cycle than the non-DI engine but has the same highway economy in spite of lower gearing.

The DI engine is good for more power and better emissions. Fuel economy gains would be an added bonus, but don't count on it.

TM

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the ideas and comments. Do you think that the WDT will go away in 2009? Since the platinum ice was supposed to do this for 2008, do you think this will happen in 2009?

2muchcoffee - I will definitely take an Enclave out for a drive from the dealer. When I was there last week, it was snowing, and I felt bad about taking such a nice and clean vehicle out in that.

BSox, and others - Waiting for the 09 model is one of the routes I am seriously thinking about taking. Cooled seats and more HP are all I need to hear - Hope WDT is still available though.

Ccaats - Yes, many Buicks on board, with the newest, other than the Rainier, being a 1999 Silver Arrow, 1 of 200. Wish Buick would bring back the Riviera for sure, not just teasing us with the one at the recent car shows.

Please keep the feedback coming!

Joe

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
joebuick
From one die hard Buick fan to another........welcome! :welcome:

MRBUICK

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mr Buick - Thanks!

Wish I could have taken out the 65 Riv GS this weekend, but too wet. It has never seen rain or snow in its 43 year old, 24K miles history.

Update: I took an Enclave for a test drive on Saturday. It was a CXL AWD. Loved the roominess, and the trans was ok, as long as I kept it in L and shifted as I saw hills comng. This does not bother me.

The dealer has a WDT CXL AWD with Lux and Conv package, plus sunroof and chrome wheels on the lot. Hmmmm... Decisions...

Joe

·
Registered
29 Posts
The roominess, safety, ride, and wow factor are the things we love about our Enclave. That being said, the tranny shifting is an annoyance for me. I don't think my wife notices though. I would wait until the 09s are out.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
test drive the **** out of it, take it up the slightest grade, modest grade and biggest hill you can find after that take it on the interstate or something comparable and set it on cruise control....then make your decision!! Id wait for the 09's either way!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
joebuick said:
Mr Buick - Thanks!

Wish I could have taken out the 65 Riv GS this weekend, but too wet. It has never seen rain or snow in its 43 year old, 24K miles history.

Update: I took an Enclave for a test drive on Saturday. It was a CXL AWD. Loved the roominess, and the trans was ok, as long as I kept it in L and shifted as I saw hills comng. This does not bother me.

The dealer has a WDT CXL AWD with Lux and Conv package, plus sunroof and chrome wheels on the lot. Hmmmm... Decisions...

Joe
Trust me, this works, but gets old fast....Plus my contention has always been this should be an option to drive this way, but should you have to compensate for the tranny like this in a 40,000 dollar vehicle... That is your choice. My choice is to try and get GM to change it....so far no luck, but we continue to work on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, update - I have still not bought my Enclave yet. Got close a few times. Being that today is March 17, do you think I should wait for 2009? Does anyone know for sure when orders will be taken for these, and when we can expect the first 2009s to hit the showrooms?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would suggest waiting for '09 if that doesnt bother you. The DI engine will provide more torque and a bit better MPG which will help in alot of ways IMHO.

However,

The first deliveries prob wont be until Aug or so and its safe to assume there will be some sort of price increase as well.

So,
If the price looks good and everything else being the same buy now, otherwise wait until Aug/Sep

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know I would wait for the 09 model. As my 08 Enclave waits for camshaft fixes, remote starting fixes(G.M. knows the problem & is working on a fix) & a transmission that will & should have another update. If you order an 09 versus an 08 you will probably only have to wait an extra 3 months. Plus you will have all other 09 differences that have been talked about. I sure wish I would have waited.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I'm not sayind don't wait but there could also be a new set of issues with the new DI engine and transmission programming. There could also be issues with some of the new features. The 09's will be different but I wouldn't assume that they will definitely be better,

1 - 19 of 19 Posts