EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

Thanks for the input on the 2nd row console....The dealer had an email dated 11/02/07 that asked dealers to refrain from ordering the 2nd row console until further notice. They hope to have an update after the first of the year.
As some suggested on this forum the console may actually be in the way. When we take trips our kids bring a backpack each with their "stuff" for the ride. When we move the front row console in our Seinna to the second row we do have a room issue for storage of the aformentioned backpacks, so this may work out well. As also pointed out by this group, when we are in "school bus" mode running a gang of kids to dance or hockey or where ever it's much easier to access the third row by going between the captains chairs....I'm sure other peoples (or even our kids) may have issues getting the seat to move properly....

So, we ordered the Cocoa with Cashmere, AWD, 7 passenger, ent # 4 with navi, confidence, luxury, sunroof/skylight, trailering, cargo net/shade, molded assist steps (dealer installed).

I got supplier pricing which excludes conquest cash (dealer showed me GM document).

Any guesses on delivery date?? I'm hoping Christmasish....

Thanks again everyone for the input!

John

·
Registered
612 Posts
johnt26 said:
Hi All!

Thanks for the input on the 2nd row console....The dealer had an email dated 11/02/07 that asked dealers to refrain from ordering the 2nd row console until further notice. They hope to have an update after the first of the year.
As some suggested on this forum the console may actually be in the way. When we take trips our kids bring a backpack each with their "stuff" for the ride. When we move the front row console in our Seinna to the second row we do have a room issue for storage of the aformentioned backpacks, so this may work out well. As also pointed out by this group, when we are in "school bus" mode running a gang of kids to dance or hockey or where ever it's much easier to access the third row by going between the captains chairs....I'm sure other peoples (or even our kids) may have issues getting the seat to move properly....

So, we ordered the Cocoa with Cashmere, AWD, 7 passenger, ent # 4 with navi, confidence, luxury, sunroof/skylight, trailering, cargo net/shade, molded assist steps (dealer installed).

I got supplier pricing which excludes conquest cash (dealer showed me GM document).

John
Ask your dealer when they will get you an "allocation". Every dealer gets "allocations" to fill orders for Enclave's. Some dealers get more allocations than others. The more Enclaves a dealer sells, the more allocations they get (GM rewards dealers that move inventory). The allocation week is a key item in an Enclave order negotiation (if you are in a hurry)..

G

·
If I can not have the second row console I will have to say no deal. The vehicle looks incomplete with a vacant space between the seats. Changing car design in mid sale is never a good sign in my opinion. This is the first Buick I have ever thought to buy, but now I may have to rethink. First no Bluetooth, Sirius Satellite Radio or Ipod intergration for their vehicles. If they want buyers like me a person in there 30's they need prove it. I would rather spend more money and get a vehicle that does not change ever time I go online. I have a 2002 Camaro and have always tried to keep at least one car American made in my house hold. Though with this and the Edmunds threads, the Buick may not be that new car this year. I am doing research on this car as it shows promise. I like the ride and lots of the design, but in this day in age creature comforts are key. Acura MDX is also in the running for me and my family. My dealer stated he was not sure on the center console for the second row and would have to check into it.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Jas4slk, Welcome to the forum!
There are positives and negatives for every vehicle you will consider. However, don't dismiss the Enclave because of the lack of the 2nd row console. Buick wants to maintain the quiet and quality of the Enclave, and is unwilling to make an item available that compromises those standards. Sirius and XM are planning on merging soon, so that is not an issue. Lack of bluetooth is a concern for some, but is it enough to cause you to look elsewhere?
Spend a little time on this forum, and you will realize that Buick has offered a vehicle that is second to none.
Don't forget that JD Power has rated Buick #1 in long term reliability, tied with Lexus.
Happy shopping, and make a wise decision. :thumb:
(PS: I was 28 when I purchased my first Buick, the Enclave is my 4th)
***GO BUICK***

·
Registered
103 Posts
If Buick had it all together, they would consider offering a very similar console as an aftermarket item. Seems there are a good amount of people that want it and it seems to be virtually a deal breaker for some. An aftermarket version without the power outlets would be a nice compromise and seeminly a no brainer. But, after all, What do we know? We are just consumers that vote with our hard earned money. Buick has made it fairly clear they are not interested in an aftermarket item. It is not like they would have to start from scratch. Once they get the bugs worked out of the future production console, they can simply modify the design slightly to sell as an aftermarket item.

The aftermarket consoles available on-line and the cooler/warmers talked about on this forum are fine for some, but seem bush league to me - especially when you put them in really well thought out interior like the Enclave. They just stick out like a sore thumb.

Hopefully they read these goofy forums and can extract some nuggets of info from them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Jas4slk, I also originally wanted the 2nd row console. Then was told it was not available. After consideration and consulting with others on this forum, I came to the conclusion that it was a mistake to want it. I ordered mine without. I found a vector travel cooler that fits perfect in the place and has cupholders and will both cool drinks or heat food depending. When I don't need it I leave it in back or in the garage leaving more space in the back part of the enclave.
MrBuick is right, Sirus and XM are on the merge move. As for bluetooth, when I found out that I can connect my verizon phone and the two become transparent, that was all I needed.
Good luck in your decision.

G

·
Thank you all for your wise input and I will use it all in my decision for my purchase. The Bluetooth is not an option for me as I live in Los Angeles Ca and we have a law that starts July of next year that requires anyone in a car to have Bluetooth to use a phone legally. My job requires me to be on the phone to and from my office. I am exploring aftermarket an evaluating the cost and also how well they work. I can not change my phone as I work for one of the big telecom companies and so my phone is free and provided by them. I have heard also the network that GM runs their OnStar on is going to be impacted with the changes to the frequency sale this first part of next year. OnStar runs majority an analog network. Here is a very interesting bit of info I found on the Onstar website for all you Onstar fans. “Question. Will my OnStar-equipped vehicle's analog-only system still work after January 1, 2008? Answer. No. As of early 2008, wireless carriers will no longer be required to support the analog network. As a result, beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar will only offer services, including OnStar Hands-Free Calling, through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment. Which is not available on all models and your analog only model can not be upgraded per Onstar.” That is also another reason I want my Bluetooth as I know my phone company is not going to stop working due to old technology. As for the center console, I never wanted one that had all the cooler and outlets, just a plain storage unit with two cup holders with a soft arm rest. Is that too much to ask? Seems like a $25 item for a major automaker to put in. I do not want one that flops around so aftermarket (none bolted down) is not an option. We want one that god for bid we have an accident does not fly around and hurt us or our kids. The Buick is still in the running as I have reviewed your wonderful site and yes it has lots of positive items. That is why it is on the list. As for the XM and Sirus becoming one. I am all for that even though I feel XM has nothing to offer to the merger, but working with the FCC on many things year round, I am not sure that will happen. They work hard to find reasons not to make things happen. That is their job and they are good at it. From what I hear they will make the judgment by year end. I am also going to be doing the same. Believe me I really like the Buick, but I am only one of two people making a decision. Hopefully we will be driving a buick in the family, or the GMC Arcadia even though I can not stand the big GMC on the front and back of that car. But at least I see I can get the center console in the second row with that one. HMMM …GM why on one model but not the other. These are questions we as consumers need to ask. =)

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
It's possible that the rear console was up to GMC standards, but NOT up to BUICK "Quiet Tuning" standards.
Time will tell, and good luck!

·
Registered
612 Posts
You mentioned LA is requiring Bluetooth phones in cars? I think you mean "hands free" phone use:

Evidence indicates that the use of hands free feature, and/or blue-tooth will decrease the risk of a car accident as well. On September 15, 2006 Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed into law legislation that passed in the California Assembly last month. The measure goes into effect in July 2008, imposing a minimum $20 fine for anyone caught driving and using a cell phone unless the driver uses a headset, ear bud or other technology that frees both hands.[/color]

So.. with OnStar you are completely covered. You can even combine minutes with a Verizon account to save $.

All Enclave's, Acadias and Outlooks are 100% Digital OnStar ready.

OnStar has notified owners of older, Analog only OnStar systems that they need to upgrade. My father inlaw took in his 2004 LeSabre last month. Cost him several hundred dollars to upgrade to digital. What really cooked his beans was that they completely wiped his phone book (he had to enter all three phone numbers all over!) :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Jas4slk said:
... beginning January 1, 2008, OnStar will only offer services, including OnStar Hands-Free Calling, through dual-mode (analog/digital) equipment...
GM switched to dual-mode (analog/digital) Onstar units a few years ago, so this should not be a concern in your purchase of an Enclave. Actually, a dual mode unit should be more versatile than "digital-only" cell phones (like my older dual mode cell phone), since it can connect to any cell tower. If you are in the telecommunications industry, you should know that digital is not always superior to analog, especially for emergency use on long road trips!

As for the center console, I never wanted one that had all the cooler and outlets, just a plain storage unit with two cup holders with a soft arm rest.
While sitting in the second row, I hope you noticed the outlet(s) and floor-level cup holders for your use at the rear of the front console? The captains' armrests feel OK to me, but of course, our elbows may vary!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Personally, I think the second row consol is ugly. Just my opinion, but it is fat and boxy, kinda cheesy looking....I went to the container store and got a cool looking black and chrome basket that I use between the two seats to store the kids stuff....matches the ebony interior perfectly...Again, just an opinion...Lisa

·
Registered
225 Posts
lisa said:
Personally, I think the second row console is ugly. Just my opinion, but it is fat and boxy, kinda cheesy looking....I went to the container store and got a cool looking black and chrome basket that I use between the two seats to store the kids stuff....matches the ebony interior perfectly...Again, just an opinion...Lisa
Like a toadstool, perhaps? In the designer's defense, remember that the concept console did not make it to reality.

But even if it had, it would not be as flexible as your after-market open basket. For example, the passengers can stow and retrieve their own stuff without disturbing each other.

G

·
I have a device that works on both digital and analog and both GSM and CDMA networks in the world. I do not see the benefit to paying for a communications device that is less superior to the one I have. I just do not understand how 95% of the auto industry has Bluetooth built in and GM feels we should support their dinosaur of a technology. I know everyone has their likes and dislikes. I am only asking for a choice. I am glad to hear that GM Onstar will work in 2008 for those that use it, but I will not be forced to use, I am getting pricing for a full Bluetooth system to replace the OnStar system. If it is a good price I think I will go with the Buick as my dealer says he is checking, but he thinks he can have his shop install the original design center console. He is checking with his supplier to see if can get the parts. He agreed that they should have the option to since the brochure has pictures of the center console and all the reports online show pictures of it. So far I have to say the dealer is being very helpful, of course it is always good to go in with the most knowledge so they can not BS you. :)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Jas4slk said:
I have a device that works on both digital and analog and both GSM and CDMA networks in the world. I do not see the benefit to paying for a communications device that is less superior to the one I have. I just do not understand how 95% of the auto industry has Bluetooth built in and GM feels we should support their dinosaur of a technology. I know everyone has their likes and dislikes. I am only asking for a choice. I am glad to hear that GM Onstar will work in 2008 for those that use it, but I will not be forced to use, I am getting pricing for a full Bluetooth system to replace the OnStar system. If it is a good price I think I will go with the Buick as my dealer says he is checking, but he thinks he can have his shop install the original design center console. He is checking with his supplier to see if can get the parts. He agreed that they should have the option to since the brochure has pictures of the center console and all the reports online show pictures of it. So far I have to say the dealer is being very helpful, of course it is always good to go in with the most knowledge so they can not BS you. :)
Good luck with all of that. I don't understand all of what you are saying, I know you don't want to switch to verizon, but basically my car is another phone line on my family plan, other than touching the phone button on the mirro to get started it is completely handsfree (voice activated etc). I know you mentioned the verizon is the hang up for you.

I do know something about the center consule, my dealer told me he could add it after market originally which he later found out he could not. There is wireing involved for the power ports and they were having issues with the anchoring system and meeting Buicks demand for quiet ride (I think Mr. Buick has mentioned this as well). I really don't think it can be added later at least to the original specs from the factory. Good luck, sounds like the Enclave might not be a match for you, too bad as it is a beautifully quiet, smooth running car.

·
Registered
154 Posts
PrairieWind said:
Like a toadstool, perhaps? In the designer's defense, remember that the concept console did not make it to reality.

But even if it had, it would not be as flexible as your after-market open basket. For example, the passengers can stow and retrieve their own stuff without disturbing each other.
EXACTLY!!!!! :thumb: I couldn't think of an image, but you nailed it.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I do know something about the center consule, my dealer told me he could add it after market originally which he later found out he could not. There is wireing involved for the power ports and they were having issues with the anchoring system and meeting Buicks demand for quiet ride (I think Mr. Buick has mentioned this as well). I really don't think it can be added later at least to the original specs from the factory. Good luck, sounds like the Enclave might not be a match for you, too bad as it is a beautifully quiet, smooth running car.
The other reason the 2nd row console cannot be added later is the seats are different. When you order the 2nd row console, the seats installed have no inboard armrests (the console is the armrest!).

The console won't be available this year.

·
Registered
23 Posts
johnt26 said:
Hi All!

John
John, you have ordered the perfect Enclave IMO. The center console would be okay if there were no kids. Seeing that you are in SoCal and apparently the area of the best auto deals in Cali would you mind letting me know how much you paid? We are in NorCal. Did you get the key fob with the info screen?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts