EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last 2 weeks we have been dealing with our Sheltie Jake having swelling in his face.

Our vet determined that his lymph nodes were swollen and the first week, started him on antibiotics. Well that didn't work.

Next step was an x-ray of his chest/abdomen. His chest showed a lot of fluid built up, which was pressing against his lungs. So our Vet drained a lot of fluid and then recommended we have an ultra sound performed.

The ultrasound was completed at CARE, just up the road from us. It showed a lump at the base of his neck, in front of and just above his heart. It also showed several of his lymph nodes very swollen as well as his liver and spleen were kind of "wonky" looking (the internists words).

Next step was on Tuesday the internist at CARE suggested that there be some samples taken of the lump at the base of his neck. Plus as an added precaution, an additional test to take a sample of his liver.

The results are in. Our boy Jake has lymphoma.

My husband is out of town this week but I know that we will do what we can.....

I was asked if I want to be referred to an Oncologist. I am thinking that "yes"....but I want to also speak with our own veterinarian, whom I will call tomorrow.

If we go with chemo treatments, it will be weekly for 4 months. Then, unless he goes into remission, his prognosis is 9-16 months.

I am not ashamed to say......PRAYING for more than the 16 months.

IF I find that the chemo treatments, which I will insist on, are not giving Jake the quality of life we feel he should have.... We will end the treatments and give him all the love possible.

His brother Elwood, he knows something is wrong. He hasn't left Jakes side for a minute. He will be the one I will be so worried about....more so than myself and my husband. The boys are 2 peas in a pod, totally upset if they are separated.

For now....I am inconsolable.....but, I know that I MUST be strong to make the correct decisions.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a long discussion with our vet today. He gave his opinions and he listened to my concerns.

We will stay with the internist for Jake's chemo treatments. Our vet knows that she has had great results with other dogs with lymphoma. But, if he doesn't do well on the chemo treatments, we can either see an oncologist for a different approach. Or, stop all treatments, keep him happy and relatively pain free for what time he would have, expected only 6 weeks then.

My husband is still out of town, and won't return until 1am Saturday morning so he doesn't know the final result nor does he know that Jake will be starting chemo on Monday.

Jake and his brother, Elwood, have been members of our family since they were 8 weeks old. July 21st will be their 10th birthday. We brought them home in September of 2007.

The photo here is a week after they came into our home. We had thrown them a "puppy shower" and there were about 20 of our friends over. The boys were awed over and passed around and spoiled rotten. They were tuckered out and fell fast asleep on their "P" pad on the deck, they hadn't used it as I was still working on training them on that aspect.

Yep there was a puppy shower cake for the adults. A can of dog food with a carrot as a candle for the boys.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My boy, Jake, had his first Chemo treatment to day for lymphoma.

I have been a nervous wreck for the last couple weeks and today, I thought I was going to stress out and have a heart attack.

He did great. I do have 3 prescriptions to fill for him. One for his appetite, which I need to get tomorrow as he didn't eat nearly what he should have. The second one is for if he starts to throw up. The third one, if he gets the shits, which I think will be a probability.

The treatments will be weekly for up to 4 months and it isn't going to be cheap. Think helping to pay for your child to attend college.

We have made a decision. If Jake does not do well with the treatments and if we believe he is in more pain, we will stop and just keep him comfortable and as pain free as we can.

After I brought him home today, his brother Elwood was right there checking him out....never leaving his side. I have said before, he will be the one most impacted if Jake passes away. Two peas in a pod...they were from the same litter and have been with us since they were 8 weeks old.

When I picked Jake up after his treatment, he was so ready to get out of there. I drove my husband's Infiniti today as it sits lower and Jake was not feeling to well over the weekend. Since the Enclave sits higher I decided the lower Infiniti would be great. When we headed out of CARE he stopped looked around and then, headed over to the Infiniti. I opened the door and he hopped right in, turned around and laid down as if to say "Mom let's go home" and so we did.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
So sad. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jake is moving really slow this morning. He was able to get up on the sofa next to me and put his head on my lap. He wanted a bunch of attention and that is what he got.

Elwood was laying on the floor below Jake. Our little adopted girl, Missy Serenity, asleep in the recliner next to the sofa.

He is not eating like he should and hopefully the pills for his appetite, kick in. So far he is not throwing up or having other "issues" at the other end.

I was to have taken the Enclave in for service today and that didn't happen. My boy comes first. BUT, I did notice that my husband took the Enclave to work today anyway. I had mentioned that it is easier for Jake to get in his Infiniti. As a off hand comment this morning I had said that if Jake isn't looking better I may take him to CARE today. In the back of my husbands mind, he decided to make it easier on Jake and I, if I do take him to CARE.

A few minutes ago Jake decided he wanted off the sofa. I picked him up instead of him jumping down. Awww....little boy gave me a few kisses.... Once on the floor he headed to his own room, Elwood followed into his, right next to Jake. Missy Serenity, she noticed what was going on and headed to hers.

I think I will heat up some soup for lunch and then head back downstairs in a little while, just to see how the crazy gang are doing.

Fingers/toes crossed that this chemo works....

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Hugs to you and Jake...

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jake has his 2nd chemo treatment today. We have noticed the swelling on his face is gone. But, he does become winded when he plays with his adopted sister, Missy Serenity.

The reduction in the swelling is more likely due to the pills they have him on.

Anyway, still have my fingers/toes/eyes crossed for our little furry baby.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
His blood test yesterday, results looked great. This treatment is a pill. In and out in 20 minutes.

Next week is the big one. One and a half hours intravenous slow drip. Then a week off, just in for a blood test that week.

She said he looks great the swelling is gone and his heart sounds much better. Still fingers and toes crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jake was very feisty today. He was playing with Elwood and Missy Serenity, chasing each other.

Even my husband commented on it after he came home from work. Jake was barking and jumping on him for some personal attention.

This is the most active he has been in the last four weeks.

We still have a long haul before us, next week being the harshest chemo to date.

Fingers and toes continued to be crossed.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color]

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good boy Jake! Still as feisty this morning as he was yesterday!!! WOOHOO!!!! :blob:

I snapped a couple photos of the report Monday from CARE, which includes the diagnosis.

Also I forgot to add, this is the explanation of the chemo treatment given to Jake on Monday.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6093/cyclophosphamide-oral/details

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jake is at Dayton CARE right now for his Chemo treatment. They will give me a call when I can pick him up.

I also took a small container of peanut butter for him. Last week they said he wouldn't take any of their treats. I told them if it was covered in peanut butter, pretty sure he would. Since they don't keep a container on hand I brought some for Jake. His own personal stash for them to keep on hand.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jake did great during his treatment Monday. The blood work up, the internist said is great and she is amazed as to how well Jake is doing.

Plus, they were chuckling because when they showed him the container of peanut butter, they said his little tongue was just licking his lips big time. They gave him one of their treats with lots of peanut butter on it and "poof" no problem!!!

Yesterday and today we have noticed he is not as feisty as he was last week. Like I said, this round was the harshest one yet.

Next week, just a blood test, no treatments. AND if his blood test looks as great as this week, after the next three weeks of chemo, he may actually receive a week off, no blood test at all!!

Fingers/toes and everything crossed.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jake just had a blood test this week. No chemo and he is doing amazing!!!!

The Internist is very pleased with his response to the chemo and how he looks. His white blood count is a bit low, they expected it. They also said it should bounce back by next week.

Monday, he starts another 3 week round of chemo. Monday it will be just a pill.

He is acting just like Jake again. Chasing and playing with his brother Elwood and his adopted sister, Missy Serenity.

Breathing a sigh of relief for now, still keeping fingers and toes crossed though.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts
About this Discussion
94 Replies
6 Participants
sailfish
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing