EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
CELEBRATION....Jake is doing awesome. The large lump in front of his heart, no longer there. His liver/spleen look pretty darn good. No swollen lymph nodes detected!

As a precaution, I am to take him back August 3rd for a physical check. Then the same in September. In October, another set of x-rays and ultrasound and blood work.

IF everything looks as good as it did today, WOOHOO...only a once a year check up.

So....they took photographs if my boy....and they said they really are going to miss seeing him.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Hoo-Ray!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Been following this story...great to hear of Jake's success and continued therapies.

Dogs are wonderful creatures. Our current, a Standard Schnauser, named Andy has been a blessing. Got us into obedience completion and is doing well considering he's 8 years old.

Hoping for continued good news for Jake.

Jeff

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Jake goes in for a physical check tomorrow, one month from his last chemo treatment.

He is doing great. Little stinker is eating like a little pig!!!! Which is a good thing!

He is playing hard with his adopted sister Missy Serenity. It is so much fun to watch how his energy had come back.

When my husband comes home, he is waiting patiently for him to settle on the sofa and then, Jake climbs up and pushes his way onto his lap.

Even though he will not be receiving any chemo tomorrow, a trip through Wendy's for some chicken nuggets will be in order.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Today was AWESOME! He is doing pretty **** good. He was racing around outside and inside this morning. Plus, he is eating like a little pig!

The appointment lasted all of 5 minutes, no swollen lymph nodes and the charge was ZERO!!!!

Will still have a follow up in September. Then in October, another round of tests/x-rays/ultra-sound, to see if that pesky cancer has returned.

While we were out I had to pick up drugs at Walgreens for both my husband and I. Then I hit the bank, needed cash, down to my last 4 dollars in my wallet.

While at the drive through at Walgreens, Jake was so excited, he thought he was getting nuggets there. Nope Jake, not here....such a sad look in his little face.

Then at the bank ATM, the same thing. Poor boy the look on his face was "Mommy what are you doing...where are my nuggets"!

So then, headed to Wendy's for nuggets for Jake. I had a huge chuckle.

When I pulled up to the screen at Wendy's he was just a dancing with excitement. He is such a hoot!

Got to love my boy Jake.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
So glad to hear he's doing well.

Thanks! So are we!

Little stinker started barking this morning at 3am! I tried to ignore him but, nope, he was bound and determined for SOMEONE to head downstairs.

So, off I went. My husband has to work today so it's my turn. You see, he does weekend detail with the crazy gang. I am on crazy gang detail during the week, even when it means getting my butt out of bed at 3:30am, which I did!

Once I was downstairs, the lower level, I turned on the television, settled into the reclining sofa, kicked back and...silence. Not a peep out of Jake or the other two until....8am.

Not sure when I fell asleep but I did.

The little stinker can bark at any hour of the morning and, after probably 15, or more, minutes I will head downstairs. The reality is, he just wants one of us near by.

At 8am I slid open the patio door and let the crazy gang out of their individual rooms for their morning outside/inside routine. LOL, their adopted sister, Missy Serenity, she poked her head out and decided that since it is raining there was no way she was going to get her little feet wet.

Elwood, he bounded outside, morning routine BAM, done and back inside.

Jake, now it took him about 30 minutes of looking out the open patio door and then out he flew...another BAM, done and back inside.

I left the patio door open until 10:45am when I decided to head upstairs for my first cup of coffee....think I will need a full pot or two.

Anyway, here is a photo of Jake and his brother Elwood. We were on vacation in Gatlinburg, September 2009. They were just over 2 years old and they were so good and LOVED every minute of it. Plus a photo of the two in the 2007 Outlook, secured in the back with seatbelt harnesses. Safety first for out crazy gang.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Jakes cancer is back. Not in his lymph node. At least the internist didn’t feel any.

He has fluid buildup in his chest again.

Late last week I noticed a change in Jakes energy and breathing. He wouldn't play with Missy Serenity, they always play and she kept trying to get him to play and he wouldn't. Then I noticed he seemed to be having difficulty breathing, at times gasping.

I was able to get him into CARE Tuesday late and they did an ex-ray, which showed the fluid present. Same as before. Only difference is, his lymph nodes are not swollen, at least the internist cannot feel any swollen.

Starting him on steroids and today, heading back to Dayton CARE to have the fluid drained.

Yesterday I was given 3 options:
1st another round of chemo as we did before, with a slight modification in the drugs.
2nd a pill given monthly, which can be harder on the liver and bone marrow. If problems show up, treatment will be stopped.
3rd just keep him comfortable for.....

Last time I made the decision on my own as my husband was out of town on business and out of reach and he found out after the first treatment. I wanted him to be involved with this decision.

We discussed this over dinner and he listened intently when I described the three treatments. I said "**** it I want to give Jake another chance". He said "OKAY". So we are giving Jake another chance. Lots of prayers that this one works.

Today I will find out the schedule for his chemo treatments....

Now I know why, deep down, I was hesitant on making our vacation travel plans.... My Mother and I always had that capability, to sense things are not right. Happened way too many times in my life to ignore those "thoughts".

Here are photos of Jake from yesterday....

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sighhhhh.....

Yesterday instead of draining the fluids they started Jake on his first round of chemo.

AND I had to fill 3 prescriptions, besides the 2 they gave me at CARE.

So......guess what???

It's official, Jakes takes more drugs than I do.

Clavamox 250mg tablet - 1 tablet every 12 hours broad spectrum antibiotic, they detected a UTI during their work up yesterday
Prednisone 10mg tablet - 1 1/2 tablet every 24 hours
Metronidazole 250mg tablet - 1/2 tablet every 12 hours as needed for diarrhea
Metoclopramide 5mg tablet - 1/2 tablet every 12 hours as needed for nausea/vomiting
Mirtazapine 15mg tablet - 1/2 tablet every 24 hours as needed for depression

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I'm so sorry to hear this. As rbarrios said, best wishes.
Thanks. Tonight he seems to have more energy than he did over the weekend. The Internist said that the first chemo treatment would help him with the fluid build up in his chest.

Next treatment is Wednesday. Three weeks treatments, one week off. Same as before for four months.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
When I saw you'd updated this thread yesterday, I was hoping that you were posting a long term update that Jake's cancer was in remission. Hopefully, that post is still to come. Meanwhile, keep us updated.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
When I saw you'd updated this thread yesterday, I was hoping that you were posting a long term update that Jake's cancer was in remission. Hopefully, that post is still to come. Meanwhile, keep us updated.
Back in August, they did not detect any remaining cancer. As we know, cancer can remain hidden and show up at any time, and in any other place within the body.

We had hoped he was in remission. We again are hoping this next series of chemo does the trick.

If not, then we will just keep him comfortable until....

Thanks for your concern. After all, our crazy gang are our 4-legged children.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Give him a big hug and love from me!

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 95 Posts
About this Discussion
94 Replies
6 Participants
sailfish
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing