EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Jake had a rough day Wednesday. The antibiotics that were prescribed the week before, the internist called Monday and said she wanted to switch him to a different one. So I picked it up and gave it to him Wednesday morning.

He didn't even give his customary good bye to my husband as he headed to work, a telling sign the Jake wasn't feeling well.

His 2nd treatment was for Wednesday at 2pm. By then Jake had thrown up in the house.

Then he did it again in the car on our way to CARE . We have Weathertech floor mats, rubber. Which is a good thing and there was a towel on the floor which caught all of it. Then Jake used his nose and paw to cover it up so he could lay down.

Poor fella was not feeling well at all Wednesday and after his chemo treatment, all he wanted to do was curl up at my feet.

This is Jake patiently waiting on his turn at CARE....

The other one is Jake as we were going back home after his treatment. All curled up on the floor. Breaks my heart to see him like this.

I was questioning whether I was doing the right thing to try and help him fight that **** cancer.

Then yesterday, he seemed to be back to his normal self and today, still doing much better. Plus, that gasping for air, gone!!!! So maybe I am.....doing the right thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
This is Jake this morning....

I am still questioning myself as to if I am helping Jake fight cancer for him, or for me.

I truly cannot handle the thought of him suffering. I also, cannot handle the thought of having to send him across the rainbow bridge.

So full of doubts this morning. Yes, even though he looks so much better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
+1...

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
His 3rd chemo treatment didn't go well at all. As a matter of fact....it did more harm than good. AND it was because of one stupid tech.

Before I go into my rant on this, Jake was starting to have problems breathing again. They ended up pulling 1.150 liter of fluid from his chest. The lymphatic system isn't working as it should.

Anyway, here is my "rant".

They finished with Jake, the fluid drained and the 3rd chemo treatment, the slow drip, by 4:30 yesterday afternoon.

I headed home, Jake was wobbly from the sedative, to drain the fluid, and the Benadryl, for the chemo. He went into his cage and laid down. I stayed downstairs until my husband came home and we headed out to dinner. Had already had plans to meet up with a couple we know.

While we were there I noticed a call I had missed at 5:50pm. So I played back the message and it was from CARE, where Jake had been. They said they needed to speak with me as there was an error in what they gave Jake. WTF????

I am sitting in the middle of a noisy restaurant and I thought, who cares, I called CARE.

The tech had made a mistake in the measurement of the chemo and had given Jake TOO MUCH!!!

I said "will you repeat that", and she did and then said what we needed to watch for last night. I then replied....SERIOUSLY.... you MESSED UP....I can't talk about this now but trust me, I am not happy and if I stayed on the phone, it wouldn't be pretty. I said I would call in the morning and I hung up.

So at 8:40am I was on the phone calling CARE. I was told the ER doctors were doing their rounds and they would be discussing Jake and would call me back.

TICK....TOCK....TICK....TOCK....

I received a call around 9:15 from a Dr. Brandenburg and this is what was discussed....

The Internist, Dr. McElravy, who has been treating Jake is on vacation. Okay I said, as I laughed, she left the country huhhhh, she didn't want to deal with me and how pissed I would be. Well I knew she was heading out of the country. But, being me, I just had to get a sarcastic dig in.

The whole CARE staff know of the situation with Jake. As they SHOULD! I wonder if their main office in Cincinnati knows??? Well that's something I am not worrying about. I also wonder if I will get one of those "satisfaction" survey's, as I have in the past. Hummmmm....

So here is what Dr. Brandenburg said, these could start by tomorrow evening or a day or two later. But, they will happen.

1. Jake will more than likely have issues with the shits
2. Jake will more than likely not eat his food, well he didn't last night.
3. Jake will more than likely have issues with throwing up
4. I already have pills for his "shits, throwing up and calming his tummy and increasing his appetite so he will eat".
5. His white blood count will drop dramatically and that is a concern
6. Because of his white blood count dropping, he will be more prone to infections
7. IF we have ANY CONCERNS we should just take Jake in
OH and here is what she said....ANY PROBLEMS with this treatment.....will be no cost to us.

WELL **** IT...YOU BET IT SHOULD BE NO COST!!!

She profusely apologized and said that Dr. McElravy was so upset after she found out what had happened. So she gathered her staff and discussed the procedures. She implemented changes, and then my thought was, it doesn't make me feel good! It's as if Jake ended up being their guinea pig.

Also according to Dr. Brandenburg, Dr. McElravy, has never lost any patient when this has happened. I said "what do you mean "has happened"". Dr. Brandenburg stammered and said, not while she was at CARE.

It's going to be a rough few days around here. We are taking turns on Jake detail. My husband was over night, I am tonight.

Jake is due to go back next week, Wednesday, for a blood test. It is a normal test done on the 4th week after 3 weeks of chemo treatments. This will determine how much the treatment has impacted his white blood count.

Am I pissed....**** YEA I STILL AM.

We have appointments Monday to take Elwood and Missy Serenity to our regular vet. I plan on discussing this with him. The main discussion will be, I think we should have gone with an Oncologist this time.

Here is Jake, yesterday morning outside, sad eyes. Then inside last night, laying on me and then he wanted some Daddy time.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I called our regular vets office a few minutes ago. He isn’t in today. The receptionist was so nice. She pulled the report CARE sends on all updates concerning Jake.

Monday, she scheduled more time during Elwood’s appointment Monday afternoon, so I can discuss Jakes screwed up chemo treatment last Thursday.

I said I specially wanted to discuss possibly seeing an Oncologist for Jakes future cancer treatments. As well as his thoughts on what are Jakes chances....

If, after we see an Oncologist, and his chances are not good, we will need to consider just keeping him comfortable.

I don’t mind saying that I started crying during that phone call.... :crying:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
OMG!! I'm so sorry about your situation. All I can say is to try to remain as calm and as positive as possible. I know that it's easy to dole out advice when it's someone else's problem, and I'm not sure how well I would handle a situation like yours, but that's all I can do right now to try to help.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks Gold....

We just returned home from CARE. Took Jake in tonight because he wasn't eating. He was throwing up and had diarrhea, besides being lethargic.

The ER doctor spoke with their Oncologist at the Cincinnati CARE location.

The decision is to keep Jake in isolation. His white blood count is down from Thursday, not a lot at this time. But, they do expect it to drop considerably over the next few days.

This way they can monitor him more closely.

I am fine with that....it's just that it was so lonely driving home from CARE, even though it was only a couple miles.

They have our number.......and I have theirs.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Oh and on the way home, hit a drive thru....a LARGE bottle of wine is in the house.

Momma is going to have one or two or....three tonight.

:sad::drunk:

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Only one bottle????? I'd be into my third or fourth by now! Thinking of you.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Only one bottle????? I'd be into my third or fourth by now! Thinking of you.
Very tempting.

I called Dayton CARE to check on Jake this morning, 8:45am. After a few minutes on hold their ER doctor, Dr. Carey spoke with me.

Jake is no different than he was last night, according to the reports filed by the nursing staff. Plus, at 6am, little fella had a case of diarrhea. They have given him his prednisone pill and the pills to calm his tummy, to increase his appetite and to prevent future diarrhea.

Dr. Carey (he is one of a few who started the CARE in Cincinnati), said he would call me later this afternoon. They are going to run a blood panel on Jake to see where his white blood count stands today.

As for the diarrhea, Dr. Carey said they expected that to happen directly related to their error during his last chemo treatment.

He apologized and said they will do everything possible to get Jake through this episode.

AND the ER Doctor at CARE, Dr. Carey did call this afternoon, around 2pm.

Jake's white cell blood count has taken a nose dive from last night. It is a HUGE dive.

Last night his white blood count was at 6,000, at the low end of acceptable. The blood work they just performed and completed, it is only 1,000.

Dr. Carey has been consulting with their oncologist at their Cincinnati location.

They are upping the medication to calm Jake's tummy. They are also adding an additional antibiotic, making it 3, to as a prevention for sepsis. Jake doesn't have it, they just want to take a head start against it happening.

Also, they are adding another drug to encourage Jake's bone marrow to increase production of the white blood cells.

Dr. Carey said Jake looks like he did when he came in last night, not feeling well and still not wanting to eat.

I brought up the discussion from Friday that there were procedures put in place to prevent this from happening to their other cancer patients.

Dr. Carey assured me that they do have procedures and in his 17 years associated with CARE, they have NEVER had this happen before. He said they have put into place an ADDITIONAL LAYER of procedures. He is so very sorry that Jake, my husband and I, have to go through this.

Dr. Carey has assured me that they are doing everything they can to get Jake through this episode. Or as I call it to myself, and now you, THEIR FUCKING SCREW UP.

Since Jake is in isolation, we can stop by, we just cannot go near him. But, if I know the girls there, they love our little fella and are showering him with bunches of love and affection.

**** IT....there go the tears flowing again....

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
The morning update on Jake...with Dr. Carey and here is the recap.

1. Jake is the same as yesterday.
2. His heart rate is slightly elevated and they are going to tap his chest again to see if there are any fluids which may be causing it. The ultrasound last night wasn't showing much but, he wants to be assured.
3. Jake is still experiencing a watery diarrhea. They have shaved his rear and wrapped gauze around his tail to keep it mostly clean. Dr. Cary believes this will make Jake feel much better. They have also put salve on his butt, what they use for babies and diaper rash.
4. Because of the continuing diarrhea, he has added an additional drug to add back proteins lost with all the diarrhea.
5. They are doing another blood panel work up this morning and Dr. Carey will call me back with the results.

They are doing everything possible to get Jake through this.
Tonight, after my husband gets home, we are planning on stopping at CARE just to see if we can peek in the window at Jake.

Elwood has been very quiet this morning, laying at my feet, actually laying his head on one of my feet.

Missy Serenity, **** she is in her own little world which is....EVIL SQUIRREL WATCH!!!

Just now received the call for the afternoon update on Jake from Dr. Carey.

1. His white blood count had continued to fall to 500. Sunday evening it was at 6,000 (low end of acceptable and then yesterday afternoon 1,000). As he said ,they expected this and they are doing everything they can to turn this around
2. He is anemic and again, they are working on turning this around
3. They pulled an additional 650mls of fluid from his chest. The color of the fluid is clear than what they pulled yesterday...that is a good thing.
4. They did a test on his kidney function and, wheww....they are just fine
5. His heart rate was elevated slightly this morning. Now, after pulling the fluid from his chest, his heart rate has settled to normal.

He did say Jake had been propping himself up to try and sleep, now, he said Jake is sleeping laying flat. My boy needs his sleep.

Also I went ahead and mentioned that we are stopping by tonight and he said "great"!!!! He did mention that we could suit up to go in and see him. I said, my husband may but I am just too paranoid about dragging in something that will make Jake sicker. All I want to do is look at my boy and have him realize that we are still here and still LOVE HIM TO PIECES. Dr. Carey said, he believes that Jake already knows that we do.

Yes, they are giving our boy every possible chance to survive this episode.....as they sure as **** should.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #76 (Edited)
We stopped by to see Jake. They were in the process of cleaning him and his cage up again.

My husband elected to not go inside the isolation unit and I didn't either. So we stood at this large window looking and waving at him....

Jake did know we were there as he looked at us and actually stood up!!!! They said that is a good sign!!

I was chuckling as he did decide to lay back down, after he moved around the blanket with his nose and paw, as he will do here at home. He had to have it just perfect and then, he laid down.

Tomorrow we will go back and I plan on going inside to see Jake. I will have to suit up in sterile garb from head to toe. Just as each tech and doctor do before going into the room. They want to ensure there are no bad bugs getting in there.

They said he did seem to be doing better late this afternoon, until the diarrhea started again. Poor baby. His little tail wrapped up in gauze.

They were able to get him to take a little food through a syringe this afternoon. Just not eating on his own. Still turning down peanut butter and turkey.

Dr. Carey was just clearing his notes up when we showed up. Were able to meet him and discuss Jake in person.

My husband asked how much longer he will be in there. They will not give a time frame as that is decided by the oncologist.

Until his white blood count is way up to normal, he is eating and not having diarrhea, it may be at least a week. It could be more.

There is another patient in isolation with Jake. A little kitten....I couldn't see the little thing but it also had an IV drip hooked up.

At 9am I will be calling again....that's my routine.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
This sounds a little more promising. BTW, how is your husband reacting to this situation?

He is just as concerned as I am. He misses the little fella. Jake was always snuggled up next to him when he had his laptop opened up.

LOL that is why I called Jake our "high-tech" boy. Elwood, he is more interested in the television, our "low-tech" boy.

My husband doesn't show a lot of emotions. He told me to not beat up on myself when I was blaming myself because I wanted to give Jake another chance at chemo.

I am waiting on a shipment from UPS and if it hasn't arrived when he is on the way home from work, I told him he should just stop at CARE to see Jake. After all, he drives right past CARE.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
The latest on my boy!!!

Late yesterday, around 4:30, Dr. Carey called. He is concerned that Jake is still not eating. They do what they can to syringe food into him. BUT, he is resisting them in their attempts to hold him while they feed him.

Dr. Carey said he would like my permission to insert a feeding tube into Jake. This would be a really small tube inserted through one of his nostrils. That way not only can they feed him but also give him his medicine. Jake has been also resistant on taking his medications and Dr. Carey said it was probably because the pills taste so bad.

Which is why when he would eat peanut butter, covering the taste of the pills works.

He said there are some, very few, complications. If Jake should throw up, there would be a chance on the tube coming up and perhaps traveling into one of his lungs.

Another is, there could be some irritation when inserting the tube down through his throat and into his stomach.

They will do everything they can to ensure everything works out.

I told him I was okay with it but, my husband also needs to make the decision. We would swing by and see Jake so all of this can be discussed with both of us, me again.

Instead, my husband stopped by on his way home last night, I didn't go but plan on doing so today. They explained everything and him said he is in agreement, do what they can for Jake.

Also, and I sure wish I had seen this, :grin: my husband suited up and went in to see Jake. He was able to pet Jake. Jake knew who he was but with all the tubes and such attached, including a large vest wrapped around Jake, he wasn't moving. Jake didn't come out of his cage just stood there while my husband talked to him and petting him. One of the nurses said she would take a photo and LOL my husband said, yea...NO..

So this is where we are....the next blood panel is around 11 this morning. That is when I am taking my husband's car to the dealership for some long overdue service. They are suppose to have a loaner for me, if they do, perhaps I will swing over to CARE to see Jake and get the latest update.

My boy....taking it a day at a time and Dr. Carey and his staff....doing everything possible for him.

I so miss my silly boy...this photo is from at least 4 years ago, Jake acting silly.....

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
They were suiting up to go in and take blood for his morning lab work. So I didn’t go in. I will tonight.

Waiting to hear the results of todays blood workup.

So...here is Jakey!!!!

Attachments

61 - 80 of 95 Posts
About this Discussion
94 Replies
6 Participants
sailfish
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing