EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Sighhhhh.....Dr. Carey called yesterday afternoon and it took a while to absorb what he said.

Jake's red blood count is down again and doesn't seem to be increasing. They have his white blood count on the rise, that is great. What he is worried about is his platelet count being so low that he could start bleeding internally...not a good thing.

SO...after a series of consultations with their Oncologist in Cincinnati, she has been so concerned as to checking in on Jake multiple times a day. They have decided on an option which was mentioned yesterday, as some thing they were hoping to not do.
They are to give Jake a complete transfusion of blood from another dog donor.....

Yes I am worried.

My husband will be stopping by CARE on his way home from work tonight and will get more details, as well as how Jake is doing AFTER the transfusion.

I have to give props to CARE for the long term care they are doing for Jake. YES I know it is their fault and Jake wouldn't be in this situation, if their tech hadn't screwed things up last Thursday.

****...it has been a week Thursday since that "witch" (I so wanted to write something else...I held my tongue/fingers), screwed up royally.

Fingers/toes and tons and tons of prayers from me to JAKEY!!!!!

:crying:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Oh and I did chuckle over this comment by Dr. Carey.

Jake is still having bouts of diarrhea. BUT, and this is pure Jake. He tends to do his best to hold it until, they open his cage and out he comes and...presto....**** on the floor. That's my BOY!!!! :smile:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
There is no pain to suffer any longer

Fly with the angels Jakey

You will be in our hearts forever

Love you forever. Mommy, Daddy, Elwood and Serenity

Attachments

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Oh, Jake. You brought a lot of smiles and happiness to an entire community during the last several years. RIP, big guy...

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Awwww. Very sorry for the loss of Jake.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Friends of mine made these in memory of Jakey.

Yesterday, the decision was made because of several reasons, to let Jake go. The overdose of chemo by their tech, created so many problems. They did the blood transfusion Wednesday, his white count started to rise but his red cells and platelets, they had dropped to dangerous levels and never recovered.

Even if they could pull him through their mistake, there was still the cancer.

His chest kept filling up with fluids and Thursday night, they tapped his chest twice. The last time didn't make Jake comfortable and he was still having difficulty breathing.

The cancer was in his lymphatic system and their oncologist said his chances of recovering were too slight. The fluid build up in his chest was not going to stop.

We spent our time with him, telling him how much we loved him. He perked up when I told him that Elwood was sending him his love and that he wants to play, just get better....yet I knew it wouldn't happen. Jake did look up when I said Elwood.

Then he looked at my husband and attempted to stand up but, he was too weak so he looked at me as if to say "it's okay mommy I am ready". He settled back down, but never took his eyes off me, and I continued to talk to him and pet him....while tears were streaming down my face.

The CARE center has arranged for and are paying for Jakes cremation, including the wooden urn with a script engraved. They will let me know when I can pick him up.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and concerns......

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Found a box on our front porch from Dayton Vet CARE. Inside was this beautiful shadow box dedicated to Jake.

My husband opened the box and I started crying all over again. I so miss that little fella and the last couple days, I think Elwood is starting to miss him as well.

They also mailed a card to us and each member of their staff who worked with Jake signed it with their own notes about Jake. Yes, I said before, they loved our little boy, but not as much as we did.

Plus I also have photographed the top of the box holding Jakes remains, which CARE had paid for.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
That's pretty special...

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I have to tell you about Elwood. I haven't said anything, except to call a dear friend to ask some questions.

Thursday morning Elwood was acting really odd. He yelped when I let him out, as he headed through the open patio door.

Then I heard him outside making the same sounds. I headed out and he came running towards me yelping and when he reached me he sat down. His ears were laid back and he looked absolutely terrified.

I could only see Missy Serenity in the side yard, near the fence, where Elwood had came running from. I told Elwood, come on, inside and he was hesitant at first but he headed in. Then Missy Serenity followed as well.

Elwood was acting even stranger, he kept running towards the door to the upstairs main level. I would call him over and he would come back. Finally he jumped on the sofa, climbed all over me to get onto my lap. I was petting him and asking him what was wrong. He got down and again ran over to the door.

This time when he came back he paced and paced and then sat down leaning into my legs. I reached down to pet him trying to figure out what was wrong. He was shaking like a leaf!

When Joe came downstairs he mentioned that Elwood had yelped the night before when he had let him out. Joe had checked his paws incase he had stepped on something, nope nothing there.

After about an hour, after Joe left, Elwood calmed down and went into his cage, turned around, and laid down. Missy Serenity followed suit, going into hers.

I sat there for about an hour watching both and then, I headed upstairs.

After lunch I opened the patio door and out Missy Serenity flew. Elwood, nope he didn't go outside. Instead he raced towards the door to the upstairs again. This had me so confused at that time. Missy Serenity came back inside and they both went into their rooms. I headed upstairs to get ready as Joe and I were heading to dinner.

When we returned, both Joe and I headed downstairs. Again, Elwood would not go outside. Instead he again raced to the doorway to the upstairs. We had left the door open and he just stood at the bottom of the steps looking up and then, back at us, as we were watching him.

We decided to head upstairs and Elwood bounded up the steps as well, made a beeline to the living room and paced and paced. I sat in my chair and Joe on the footstool. Elwood laid down between us. I again reach down to pet him and he was again shaking and his ears were laid back. He had a look that I considered then was one of sadness.
I told Joe that I think Elwood has suddenly realized that Jake isn't coming home any longer.

Many times Jake would race up the steps and come into the living room, jump on the sofa or the footstool and spend time with me. Elwood, he would stay at the bottom of the steps whining and whining because Jake wasn't downstairs with him.

Elwood isn't a fan of the steps, he actually only goes up steps if on a lead. Which is why it was interesting that he had bounded up the steps with us, no lead on.

Joe said to get the shadow box of Jake and I did, along with the urn holding Jakes remains.
Joe sat the shadow box on the floor for Elwood to look at.

I then showed Elwood the urn, he sniffed it and then he looked up at me. I opened the lid on the urn, and there in side was Jakes collar and the scarf he had on when he was admitted to CARE. Elwood again, sniffed it and sniffed and then, looked up at me with such a sadness in his eyes. He then laid down between us again. I closed the lid and put it back on the shelf with the shadow box.

We sat with Elwood for a while and then we headed downstairs. At first he was hesitant, Joe was leading the way. Elwood turned back and looked at me, as I stood in the living room. Then he followed Joe downstairs.
He seemed to have calmed down a bit. But he still didn't want to go outside, standing guard at the doorway to the upstairs instead.

Joe hooked a lead on Elwood, lead him outside. Elwood did his evening business, coming back inside with Joe, no yelping or resistance.

We stayed downstairs for a while, Elwood on the floor between our feet...until it was time to head to bed. Elwood went into his room and Missy Serenity followed.

All this time we were dealing with Elwood, Missy Serenity was laying in her favorite recliner just watching as everything unfolded.

Yesterday morning when I headed downstairs, Elwood was alert and watching me intently. I opened his cage and he came over to me, as I sat down on the sofa. He again, leaned into my leg and looked up at me as if to say "I know Mommy, Jake is gone, but you are here"......

I attached a lead to him, we headed outside, along with Missy Serenity. AND off she went chasing at those pesky evil squirrels. Elwood, he just stood there watching, not showing any real interest.

I unhooked the lead and he still just stood there. I turned around, headed back inside, slide the patio door almost closed, enough for either one to come back inside when they were ready. Yea, it was cold, I had a heavy sweater on as well as a throw covering my legs.

In a few minutes I heard Elwood barking and barking, as I do most mornings. I got up, headed to the patio door, stepped outside and there he was, his normal self again barking at the fence at the front of the yard. Missy Serenity was nearby barking as well. I called for Elwood to come, he ignored me at first. I said "treat" and then here he came, Missy Serenity following along. I headed in side and she came in but, nope Elwood just stood there just off to the side of the patio. He would not come in, but his ears were perked up and he was very alert and watching me.
I had some treats in my hand, I tossed one to him and nope...he wasn't interested.

I grabbed his lead, headed outside and here he came. He has been trained to come and sit in front of me when I have a lead in my hands. He did exactly that. Jake was also trained to do that and, he always did as well. I hooked the lead on and he headed inside in front of me. Once inside, I offered him a treat and he took it...as if he was starving.

Once the lead was unhooked Elwood went over by the sofa, turned around a couple times and laid down. No racing to the doorway to the upstairs.

I used the lead a couple times that afternoon. Last night, Joe just "gently pushed" Elwood out the doorway, no lead on.

Yes, deep in my heart and soul, Elwood realized Jake was gone and was searching for him....and now he has calmed down. He knows that his Mommy, Daddy and Missy Serenity, we are all here for him as he grieves for his brother Jake. Yes, he grieves right along with us.

·
Registered
6,528 Posts
Some years ago- my female German Shepherd (now 3 yrs deceased)....
My brother and his wife were to be deployed overseas.
I drove from Los Angeles to Florida ,to pick up his male German Shepherd.

We cared for his dog while they were gone.
In the meantime- both dogs got along fine.

The time came for me to drive the big guy back.
A few weeks later- in the evening my female shepherd began to HOWL............
She had NEVER howled before.
I got up to see what was going on--- she would pace back and forth and go to all the windows and look out. Nothing.

what we believe happened.....

My brother called- and said during a vet checkup they found a large mass in the male.
He passed away on the operating table.

Its like she knew.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
Some years ago- my female German Shepherd (now 3 yrs deceased)....
My brother and his wife were to be deployed overseas.
I drove from Los Angeles to Florida ,to pick up his male German Shepherd.

We cared for his dog while they were gone.
In the meantime- both dogs got along fine.

The time came for me to drive the big guy back.
A few weeks later- in the evening my female shepherd began to HOWL............
She had NEVER howled before.
I got up to see what was going on--- she would pace back and forth and go to all the windows and look out. Nothing.

what we believe happened.....

My brother called- and said during a vet checkup they found a large mass in the male.
He passed away on the operating table.

Its like she knew.
They do. Like I know that Elwood knew Jake was sick by the way he kept just watching him all the time.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
March 4th of last year, marked the start of our trek through the ugly world of cancer and chemo treatments with Jake.

It popped up on my FB memories and it all came rushing back....

I still miss the heck out of that boy...and I know Elwood does as well.

:crying:

81 - 95 of 95 Posts