EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had no problems with my 08, save the nav which was FINALLY made right by replacement of whole unit.
The other day, hot summer day, the outside temp display said 66. it stayed there for about three days regardless of actual temp. Then, it started working normal (although I suspect it is not as accurate as it was).
I have an oil change scheduled for Monday and asked service writer to look at this problem.
Question is: Has anyone seen a similiar problem?

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
next time it does this.
Hold down the AC and recirculate button to get the computer to do an instant reading. the reading should change immidiately.
(this works on the manual AC systems)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You may need to drive it forabout 10 minutes over 40 mph... Pretty common issue with Enclaves. I have a 2010 and the temp reading gets stuck all the time unless I take it on a highway.

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
there is an algorithm that this thing uses to update temp.
one of them is to not update temp if car is moving slowly (so as not to measure the engine temp )-- or it cars been sitting for a short period of time-- it compares values etc.. Ive posted it before.

But you say 3 days.... hmmmm

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
rbarrios said:
next time it does this.
Hold down the AC and recirculate button to get the computer to do an instant reading. the reading should change immidiately.
Interesting tip! Have any others? Any Easter Eggs in the nav or anything?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rbarrios said:
there is an algorithm that this thing uses to update temp.
one of them is to not update temp if car is moving slowly (so as not to measure the engine temp )-- or it cars been sitting for a short period of time-- it compares values etc.. Ive posted it before.

But you say 3 days.... hmmmm
Yes, and in that time the car sat for periods of 3+ hours in the sun on a 95+ plus day. In the past when that happened the temp would read 100+ until i drove it a ways. These three days also included at least 6 times on the freeway with speeds of 60+/-.
I have a background in electronic maintenance and repair and I hate intermittent problems. I know if they are reported by a non-tech operator, we frequently role our eyes and say. suuuuuuuuuuuure!
Thanks for the ideas, I will try the "tricks." :cheers:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Not too uncommon for the sensor which is located under the hood in the radiator area to go bad. I believe they really just give an electrical value (Ohms) which is read and translated into a digital reading of the temperature.

·
Registered
469 Posts
rbarrios said:
next time it does this.
This works for the Auto type AC systems also. I did it this past weekend while waiting for the wife at shopping center. It went from 94 to 100 since I was sitting still. In a couple of minutes it was 95, when pushed again, it went to 99 and slowly started going back down again.

RCH

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Orinator of this thread. dealer checked it out today and was unable to fix it. I assume they checked the sensor first, but service writier came to me after a loong time and said they were working with software, and unalbe to fix the probem. Suggested I caome back another day. (I had other commitments.)
So still no joy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine did it also. I relaced the sensor for 7 bucks at the dealer and works fine.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Temp sensor also stuck.

Coincidence or not I went to dealer and had tie rod ends replaced. (500 dollars) and when I got car back temp was stuck at 54 degrees when it was in 70's. Drove 20 minutes to my house and shut and restarted car and stayed the same. I tried the AC/Recirc button and it seemed to reset. Surprised the dealer does not know this trick. When I told them the temp gauge was stuck they didn't seem to concerned but if this reset does not work I'm bringing it back as this never happened until I brought it in for the service. Coincidence?? Thnaks for the tip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
9 Participants
JACKIETOOLS
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing