EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Buick Enclave
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First timer here. Proud owner of a 2014 Buick Enclave. This evening while driving down the road (about 40 MPH) by DIC notified me my Engine was Hot and the A/C was turned off. Looked a temp gauge and was just under 260. Pulled into a gas station, popped hood and nothing unusual going on there. Fan was running. Drove home. Got 1/2 mile from home and DIC Warning displays Vehicle Overheating Idle Vehicle (something like that). Red warning coolant light also came on. Looked in Coolant Resevour when I got home and it had fluid in it (not much but still some in it). Had OnStar do an on-demand diagnostic check and no codes showing.

I'm going to take it to an Auto Part store to get a free more in depth diagnostic check.

How do I find the radiator cap? Could I be looking at something as a sensor gone bad or my thermostat stuck closed?

Vehicle has about 125,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
2014 Buick Enclave
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE So this morning I took the radiator cap off to see if the radiator was full. It was not. I topped it up with DEXCOOL (engine was NOT running at the time). I looked underneath the vehicle. I have a leak. Leak is coming from back middle of vehicle (below 2nd row, underneath Enclave). Looks to be next to the exhaust pipe. I will post a photo shortly of where it looks to be leaking from. I don't think it's water pump. Did take car for a quick drive. Seems fine at moment but... I know I got a problem. :-( Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
543 Posts
Start poking around until you find the source. If it's not obvious pressure test it and it will become obvious real quick. Don't put a lot of stock into where you see the drip because at speed any coolant that's leaking is getting blown all around under there.

My first guess is on water pump weep hole, but that's just throwing a dart at the board with my eyes closed because it has to be properly located hands on. My 05 GTO had a similar slow leak that wasn't obvious where it was coming from because coolant gets everywhere at speed but was soon as I started pumping up the pressure tester I was like, "Yep, it's the water pump".

·
Registered
2014 Buick Enclave
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing I have noticed is when I put fluid in via the radiator cap WITHOUT THE CAR RUNNING, I'm seeing it leak again from the same area as my last photo posted. Since the vehicle isn't running when I add the fluid, could this be a hose gone bad? Or would a water pump leak even if the vehicle isn't running?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Doesn't sound like you got the vehicle up and you under it to take a good long look for an inspection. Can you do this safely? If so, you need to. Speculation doesn't get you anywhere most times.

·
Registered
325 Posts
That far back... not the water pump. Rear heater lines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts