EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I have a 2008 Buick Enclave cxl. It drives fine and holds normal coolant temp in town. But when I do mountain driving where I’ve been climbing in elevation it slowly starts to over heat.
my question is: Is it my water pump, thermostat or radiator? Just trying to pin point the issue instead of just changing all 3.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
Have you checked the coolant level?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we
Hello everyone
I have a 2008 Buick Enclave cxl. It drives fine and holds normal coolant temp in town. But when I do mountain driving where I’ve been climbing in elevation it slowly starts to over heat.
my question is: Is it my water pump, thermostat or radiator? Just trying to pin point the issue instead of just changing all 3.
Thanks!!

·
Registered
975 Posts
No....The radiator cap is located under the plastic shroud covering the radiator. The overflow container might also be dry.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
the 1st thing that comes to mind is a weep hole leak/shaft leak on the water pump.
it can be slow enough that the coolant leaks on the side of the timing chain cover- but dries before it hits the ground.
slowly you end up with a cooling system thats low on coolant.

here is a thread I made- on HOW TO spot a leak from the water pump.

to check your radiator- do it when cold. and you have to lift the cover.
here is the cover on my Traverse.. should be similar on your Enclave

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
here is another thread.
HOW TO change your thermostat. Mine is the direct injection engine. yours is not. but the procedure should be fairly the same.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just another thought. Years ago I was driving a new rental car and took it into the mountains. As soon as I was driving on the incline a warning came up the engine was running hot. I pulled over and and the fill level was low. Really low. When I pulled off the cap to the tank the liquid leveled off. Not sure if there was a vacuum or something. The rest of the trip I had no further issues. Never figured out what the problem was but it worked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts