EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my 2013 Buick Enclave was driving fine then all of a sudden when I was sitting idle it started pushing out cold air while my heat was on. When I ended up getting home and turned off the car my engine fan kept running. I checked my coolant and there was none in there so I filled it up. Then this morning it was running around 225 and wouldn’t get warm air. Then randomly it pushed out hot air for a bit. Once again when I got home the fan continued to run. I checked the coolant and it was still filled. This afternoon I had to run an errand and it reached 260 about 4/5 times and I would have to pull over and let it cool down by shutting it off just trying to get home. The last time I had to pull over the check engine came on and it acted like it didn’t want to hardly drive just trying to get pulled over to turn it off. Coolant is still full?

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
where are you checking coolant?
You may have a failed thermostat. where its failed in a partially closed position.

·
Super Moderator
634 Posts
How much coolant did you have to add? I’m assuming you only checked the overflow tank, not the radiator itself? You have to pull the plastic cover in the engine bay to get to the radiator cap and you can check that when it’s cold (or risk having 200+ degree coolant sprayed all over you).

My big concern is coolant doesn’t just disappear. It’s a closed system when everything is working properly. Either the engine burned it or it leaked out. Check your oil and see if there’s any white foam or milky stuff on the dipstick. Pull the oil cap and look for milky stuff there as well. Any of these meaning coolant is getting into the oil (bad head gasket). If that’s fine, have you noticed any white smoke out the exhaust when you accelerate? Again a sign of a bad head gasket but in this case coolant is getting into the combustion chamber and being burned.
Could also be a leak at a hose or from a bad water pump. A pressure test will find that quickly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts