EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

2014 Buick Enclave. Throwing code P0442 every few days. I replaced the gas cap but that didn’t do anything. I just ordered a purge valve. Think this will solve it? 80k on the odometer.

thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you clear the code after the gas cap replacement? Typically if you replace something (gas cap) that solves the problem it may take a few starts for the engine light to go out on its own.

The purge valve could certainly be the problem, but usually when those go bad it’s hard to start your car after a fill up. Is that the case here?

I just bought a smoke machine, which are used to locate small evap leaks. I have a small leak in my van that pops a code about twice a year, and my father-in law has an evap leak on his dodge truck, my daughters boyfriend has one on his vw Jetta and our pastor has one on his gmc pickup. All of us have replaced our gas caps, and the pastor has done his purge valve and with all of us the code persists.

So I’m kind of interested to see what this smoke machine is capable of, never having used one before. This is the exact one I purchased as of this morning I have yet to use it since it just came two days ago.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Thanks for your response! I cleared the code each time. I actually did a few things first. First time just tried taking the cap off and putting it on again. Second measure was to put petroleum jelly on the top of the filler cap to create a better seal. Then I replaced the gas cap. The code pops up every 2-6 days. I figured I’d do the gas cap and purge valve because they are relatively easy and not very expensive. How much was a smoke machine? Let me know how it goes when you use it. I figured if I can’t fix it myself I’d give the job to the dealership.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It was about $120 on amazon the exact one in the video, though I did not see the video before I bought it. My daughters boyfriend is getting frustrated with his vehicle and the others will have an inspection coming up in the spring I think. All three are in NY so they can not pass inspection with an engine light on. I'm just across the line in PA, and in this county as long as your brakes, suspension, lights and horn work and there are no rust holes into the passenger compartment, you're good. Your dash can be lit up like a christmas tree and in this county and that's fine, the county directly south of us is another matter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty cool! Thanks! Yup - we are in NYS as well, but I have about 9 months to work it out before my inspection is due. If I can do it by myself, that would be great; if not, Ill have them do it when then do the inspection. That way they will give me a sticker and I'll be good for another year (even if their fix doesn't solve the problem!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 week down and no codes coming up. Purge valve may have solved my problem. . . Fingers crossed

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hope that does it for you. I tried my smoke machine for the first time, it seemed to work fine generating a lot of smoke. We found a “leak” because I forgot to plug or trigger the vent purge valve closed. So we’ll try again maybe next weekend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts