EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
rbarrios said:
then it may be the one on top of the tank.... (I think that one may set the same code)
I think that's the vent solenoid and I think it typically sets a P0446 code. I just changed that one on my Avalanche and that's the code it was throwing.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
mtenclave08 said:
is the vent solenoid and purge valve the same part?
I would say yes. Although the vent/vapor canister is the one that is on top if the gas tank. And the vent/purge solenoid valve is the one mounted on top backside of the engine.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
mtenclave08 said:
is the vent solenoid and purge valve the same part?
They aren't on the Avalanche and I doubt they are on the Enclave either. The vent solenoid is at the gas tank and the purge valve is on the intake manifold. The purge valve opens up when the vehicle is shut down and recirculates the fuel fumes into the intake manifold. The vent solenoid provides atmospheric venting to the gas tank. I don't know the particulars about how/when the systems cycle on/off as I haven't really felt the need to get into it that deeply.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
New Picture is the vent solenoid

New Picture (1) is the purge valve

Attachments

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
BadAV said:
They aren't on the Avalanche and I doubt they are on the Enclave either. The vent solenoid is at the gas tank and the purge valve is on the intake manifold. The purge valve opens up when the vehicle is shut down and recirculates the fuel fumes into the intake manifold. The vent solenoid provides atmospheric venting to the gas tank. I don't know the particulars about how/when the systems cycle on/off as I haven't really felt the need to get into it that deeply.
BadAV, I'm confused. Yes they are on the Enclave. I have changed the purge valve on my manifold, but not the vent solenoid on top of the tank, which is located between the tank and the floorboard.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
cfedor said:
BadAV, I'm confused. Yes they are on the Enclave. I have changed the purge valve on my manifold, but not the vent solenoid on top of the tank, which is located between the tank and the floorboard.
I was responding to mtenclave08's question if they were the same part, and my comment was that they are not the same part on the Avalanche but that I wasn't sure if both parts were on the Enclave. I jumped over, did a quick Google search, and followed up with pictures of the two different parts on the Enclave. Hope that clears your confusion up.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
BadAV said:
I was responding to mtenclave08's question if they were the same part, and my comment was that they are not the same part on the Avalanche but that I wasn't sure if both parts were on the Enclave. I jumped over, did a quick Google search, and followed up with pictures of the two different parts on the Enclave. Hope that clears your confusion up.
:thumb: clear as crystal now, thx.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
mtenclave08 said:
So what could happen if I ignore code -- car running fine.
Not a whole lot unless you have emissions testing, and then you won't pass because of the active OBDII code. I've read that it may lead to hard starts when the vehicle is hot.

Parts Geek has a Dorman purge valve for $23 and it's an easy DIY to change it out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
2nd purge valve replaced - October 1st. My whole problem is using auto start during the winter months. With check engine light it wont work.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
mtenclave08 said:
2nd purge valve replaced - October 1st. My whole problem is using auto start during the winter months. With check engine light ON it wont work.
Been there, done that. So you have replaced the manifold mounted purge valve solenoid, TWICE? Would seem to me then that the tank top mounted vapor canister carbon filter is saturated and not allowing actual vapor recovery, causing issues with the purge valve.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
mtenclave08 said:
Correct -- what can I have husband do to correct?
See BadAV's reply #24 above new picture.jpg, that is the gas tank top mounted vapor canister. The gas tank needs to be lowered to gain access to that component for replacement. AGAIN, this is just my assumption that it could be that part. :shrug: rbarrios has a post http://www.acadiaforum.net/index.php?topic=11700.0;all dealing with the lowering of the gas tank somewhere. Drain or run the tank to a low level to alleviate fuel weight, jack the car up, place the car on jack stands, use a large thick board for support on a floor jack, place it under tank, remove the mounting brackets for tank, check for any other connections, and lower the tank slowly while balancing it on the board.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
mtenclave08 said:
if done at a repair shop (not dealership) what would estimated cost be?
I wouldn't have a clue on the cost. Sorry. I would take it in and ask them upfront and tell them that this is what you want to have done and see what they price it out at.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Problem was Evaporative Emission Canister Vent - solenoid valve fail. Removed/replaced evaporative emission canister vent and solenoid valve -- remove/reinstall gas tank.. $512

Car running fine. No more engine light.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
It's a shame it's not something your husband or you wanted to tackle. Most of the cost was labor for lowering the gas tank and putting it back in place. I replaced a fuel pump on my daughter's 2002 Taurus about 8 years ago; I had to lower the tank to do that also. I had the job completed in 3 hours. The dealership wanted $640 to do the job; the pump cost me $45. It really wasn't a tough job.

At least it's fixed now. Do you typically top the fuel tank off after the pump automatically shuts off? If so, that's likely the culprit that caused the vent to go bad. I'd certainly suggest to NOT top off. I stopped doing it about 5 years back on all my vehicles, mainly due to reading about the issues it causes. EDIT: I guess I should have gone back and read the whole thread; I wouldn't have added this if I had! :scared:

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
mtenclave08 said:
Problem was Evaporative Emission Canister Vent - solenoid valve fail. Removed/replaced evaporative emission canister vent and solenoid valve -- remove/reinstall gas tank.. $512

Car running fine. No more engine light.
:eek: WOW! $512.00. Well, like BadAV and RickH said glad it's fixed. Thanks for the update report mtenclave08!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts