EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

201 - 220 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
UPDATE: Been away for a bit as my pc crashed, and I had to reload Windows and all that jazz... finally got my system working the way I want.

So, the hood looked pretty good, EXCEPT for one small area, about 8 inches below the passenger washer spray nozzle (middle of hood area) which was about the size of a golf ball. It looked like swipe marks, like someone took a brush and just lightly brushed across the paint. I really didn't think much of it, and didn't know if I should bring it to the dealerships attention.

Anyways, I've had A LOT going on in the past few weeks and haven't had a chance to bring it back in for them to fix the broken strut issue, until this past weekend. So I got it in, and showed an advisor - not saying anything, other then just showing them the mark and asking "what is that". Advisor goes and gets the manager, who comes out and has a look.... he wipes the hood clean, and runs his fingers back and forth, back and forth... and says he wants to go get one of his top body shop guys to see if its something that can be buffed out. Ok, so body guy comes over, and IMMEDIATELY says its under the clear coat. He looked at me with a "I'm surprised you saw that" look, but on a freshly painted hood, the swipe marks were quite clear. Body guy said they laid the base coat, and it likely got dirty, which caused them to wet sand that area, and didn't notice the swipes and the clear coat is bringing it out. At this point, I haven't asked for anything, haven't said much at all... but was waiting to hear what they were gonna do to fix it, or offer... so the manager says he feels very sorry that it happened, and he has no choice but to fix it. He said obviously it happened while in their control, and it IS visible, so he wants to fix it, and have the hood re-painted AGAIN!. I really wasn't expecting that, but was pleasantly surprised by him stepping up. He said it was their mistake, and this time they're going to give me a loaner, and he'll even pick the vehicle up from my residence and drop it back off when done (I was NOT given a loaner the first time around). He gave me his card, and told me to email him the date/time and he'll take care of the rest.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Though this is not a good situation, it is commendable the way the dealership is handling this. Let us know the outcome...again. ;)

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
:ditto: and :facepalm: and I would have been furious given the that look of surprise... But, good for them to "Re-Do their Boo-Boo"!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Uncle Buick said:
UPDATE: Been away for a bit as my pc crashed, and I had to reload Windows and all that jazz... finally got my system working the way I want.

So, the hood looked pretty good, EXCEPT for one small area, about 8 inches below the passenger washer spray nozzle (middle of hood area) which was about the size of a golf ball. It looked like swipe marks, like someone took a brush and just lightly brushed across the paint. I really didn't think much of it, and didn't know if I should bring it to the dealerships attention.

Anyways, I've had A LOT going on in the past few weeks and haven't had a chance to bring it back in for them to fix the broken strut issue, until this past weekend. So I got it in, and showed an advisor - not saying anything, other then just showing them the mark and asking "what is that". Advisor goes and gets the manager, who comes out and has a look.... he wipes the hood clean, and runs his fingers back and forth, back and forth... and says he wants to go get one of his top body shop guys to see if its something that can be buffed out. Ok, so body guy comes over, and IMMEDIATELY says its under the clear coat. He looked at me with a "I'm surprised you saw that" look, but on a freshly painted hood, the swipe marks were quite clear. Body guy said they laid the base coat, and it likely got dirty, which caused them to wet sand that area, and didn't notice the swipes and the clear coat is bringing it out. At this point, I haven't asked for anything, haven't said much at all... but was waiting to hear what they were gonna do to fix it, or offer... so the manager says he feels very sorry that it happened, and he has no choice but to fix it. He said obviously it happened while in their control, and it IS visible, so he wants to fix it, and have the hood re-painted AGAIN!. I really wasn't expecting that, but was pleasantly surprised by him stepping up. He said it was their mistake, and this time they're going to give me a loaner, and he'll even pick the vehicle up from my residence and drop it back off when done (I was NOT given a loaner the first time around). He gave me his card, and told me to email him the date/time and he'll take care of the rest.
Uncle Buick,

Very glad to see that your dealership has been able to impress you, but we're sorry to see a second visit was necessary regarding your paint. Additionally, our apologies that we haven't contacted you earlier regarding this. If we can connect you with our Canadian Customer Care team for an extra layer of care and attention to this situation, please do not hesitate to reach out to us in a private message. Our team is here to help.

Best,

Geoff G.
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
251 Posts
Buick Customer Service said:
Uncle Buick,

Very glad to see that your dealership has been able to impress you, but we're sorry to see a second visit was necessary regarding your paint. Additionally, our apologies that we haven't contacted you earlier regarding this. If we can connect you with our Canadian Customer Care team for an extra layer of care and attention to this situation, please do not hesitate to reach out to us in a private message. Our team is here to help.

Best,

Geoff G.
Buick Customer Care
I have the same year vehicle, took it into the dealer, they wouldn't repair, and this was last September. I wish I could have taken it in twice for the repair. The Buick warranty certainly isn't consistent, and appears to be subjective based on who the area service manager is. Not impressed at all by Buick warranty service for sure. Feel free to contact me Buick Service !!! I'd expect quality issue on a low end vehicle, but not this one.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
kel03 said:
I have the same year vehicle, took it into the dealer, they wouldn't repair, and this was last September. I wish I could have taken it in twice for the repair. The Buick warranty certainly isn't consistent, and appears to be subjective based on who the area service manager is. Not impressed at all by Buick warranty service for sure. Feel free to contact me Buick Service !!! I'd expect quality issue on a low end vehicle, but not this one.
:ditto: I have the same bubbles on both sides of my hood, dealer wouldn't fix it either. They are just getting worse....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Appointment has been booked for April 19, 2016. As he promised, he will be picking up the vehicle from my home, and dropping off a loaner.

I do feel sorry for those who weren't able to get the same service as I did with this issue. As stated, these issues should NOT be popping up on a vehicle of this caliber. I parked beside another E the other day and did a walk around to have a look at the hood, and found major bubbling near the drivers side headlight, right in the corner of the hood. As one of the service guys said, rust (or the bubbling) will only get worse over time, it never goes backwards and gets better.

As we all know, re-painting in a body shop is NEVER the same as when a vehicle is painted at the factory. I just hope that the paint lasts as long as the rest of the vehicle without showing issues due to it being repainted.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Uncle Buick, I couldn't agree more. A vehicle of this caliber shouldn't be plagued by such a basic problem. And yes, any bubbling will only get worse over time.

Good luck with the new paint job. Like you've stated, it won't be as good as a factory paint job, but hopefully it will be very close and last a long time. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Uncle Buick said:
As we all know, re-painting in a body shop is NEVER the same as when a vehicle is painted at the factory.
Tell this to my buddy. He got rid of his Odyssey because of the class action against Honda where he got his piston rings replaced at 39k. Got an AWD Sienna and his wife scraped it when it was weeks old. He got the vehicle back this week and it looks like sh**. Again, it's not the color match, it's the texture of the area that was repainted. The original looks like a mirror when you see a reflection. The repaired area does not. On a car weeks old, I dunno how a person comes to grips with that. My wife's uncle always explained that a regular body shop is not painting $200k classic cars, so they are not going to paint it such that you can't see the difference, although it can be done.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
john 070 said:
Tell this to my buddy. He got rid of his Odyssey because of the class action against Honda where he got his piston rings replaced at 39k. Got an AWD Sienna and his wife scraped it when it was weeks old. He got the vehicle back this week and it looks like sh**. Again, it's not the color match, it's the texture of the area that was repainted. The original looks like a mirror when you see a reflection. The repaired area does not. On a car weeks old, I dunno how a person comes to grips with that. My wife's uncle always explained that a regular body shop is not painting $200k classic cars, so they are not going to paint it such that you can't see the difference, although it can be done.
I have used my dealer's body shop for years. They do a perfect job but you pay $$$ for it or I should say the insurance company. :blob:

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
kel03 said:
cfedor said:
:ditto: I have the same bubbles on both sides of my hood, dealer wouldn't fix it either. They are just getting worse....
Hello kel03 and cfedor,

We regret to hear you’re experiencing paint concerns with your Enclaves and understand how this may be frustrating. As you both have indicated that you’ve notified your dealers of this concern, we can certainly look into this further and contact your dealerships for clarification. If this is something of interest to you, please do not hesitate to send us a private message.

Kindly,

Samantha N
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
251 Posts
Buick Customer Service said:
Hello kel03 and cfedor,

We regret to hear you’re experiencing paint concerns with your Enclaves and understand how this may be frustrating. As you both have indicated that you’ve notified your dealers of this concern, we can certainly look into this further and contact your dealerships for clarification. If this is something of interest to you, please do not hesitate to send us a private message.

Kindly,

Samantha N
Buick Customer Care

Thank you for acknowledgement, message and email sent, Kel03

·
Registered
102 Posts
I just noticed the bubbling hood paint on my 2011 and am so disappointed in this on a 'premium' vehicle! Any recommendations on a cost effective remedy? I'm not very optimistic. Nothing says 'over the hill' vehicle like rust!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
canuk said:
I just noticed the bubbling hood paint on my 2011 and am so disappointed in this on a 'premium' vehicle! Any recommendations on a cost effective remedy? I'm not very optimistic. Nothing says 'over the hill' vehicle like rust!
You have to have the hood repainted. Don't expect any help from GM.

·
Registered
251 Posts
canuk said:
Very odd lot of us have this issue, but it's not GM's fault !!! It's a process problem at their paint facility, but they will not own up to it. Quality is not #1 with them. I brought mine to their attention twice now.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
kel03 said:
Very odd lot of us have this issue, but it's not GM's fault !!! It's a process problem at their paint facility, but they will not own up to it. Quality is not #1 with them. I brought mine to their attention twice now.
Agreed!! :ditto:

My 2008 Enclave had that issue for at least the last few years that I'd owned it. But, it didn't seem to progress much, so I ignored it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 2011 Enclave. Guess I am a bit late getting into this topic but I also noticed this bubbling on hood about 6 months to a year ago. Guess I am out of luck? The car has 65,000 miles and is garage kept withn no bra ever used. This is clearly a defect that GM should own up to. Do I have any options to get this repaired? Will it rust thru eventually or is the hood aluminum? Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes original owner with original hood. No it was never repaired before. Gues if it is aluminum it shouldn't rust but it looks like expansiondue to rust under the paint. A little annoyed if this is a common defect that Buick will not address. In my eyes it was a very expensive car for this to happen. Thanks.

201 - 220 of 225 Posts