EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently 2/5/08 took delivery of a Red Jewel Tint CLX. The paint cost a $395 premium. When examined in daylight (delivered after sunset) the finish was found to be poor. More orange peel than seen on any car since modern finishes and clear coat became the norm. The dealer had a Cadillac XLR in Crystal Red Tintcoat on the floor which also exhibited what I felt to be excessive orange peel painted surfaces. A Lincoln Navigator in the similar Vivid Red color had smooth painted surfaces.

I'm sure there is no available corrective option, but would like to know if this is a common problem? Is it peculiar to this color? How does GM finishing differ from Ford?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Digitwiz

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Enclave is in good company. When I totally rebuilt our 1974 Mercedes, I thought the body shop would compound the paint to a perfect finish. Not so, the wise veteran insisted. The original factory finish had plenty of orange peel, so a proper restoration job should result in the same finish.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
digitwiz said:
Recently 2/5/08 took delivery of a Red Jewel Tint CLX. The paint cost a $395 premium. When examined in daylight (delivered after sunset) the finish was found to be poor. More orange peel than seen on any car since modern finishes and clear coat became the norm. The dealer had a Cadillac XLR in Crystal Red Tintcoat on the floor which also exhibited what I felt to be excessive orange peel painted surfaces. A Lincoln Navigator in the similar Vivid Red color had smooth painted surfaces.

I'm sure there is no available corrective option, but would like to know if this is a common problem? Is it peculiar to this color? How does GM finishing differ from Ford?

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Digitwiz
You have a defective paint job and need to file a complaint. Our red jewel tintcoat finish has got to be the absolute best, deepest shining and smoothest paint finish I have EVER seen on a production vehicle. It is almost show car quality. You DEFINITELY got a bad paint job and your description is NOT indicative of any of the other red jewel Enclave's we looked at on lots at the time. I also saw a crystal red Malibu in a parking lot yesterday and just stared at the paint as it glistened in the sun. Absolutely beautiful. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
ccaats said:
You have a defective paint job and need to file a complaint. Our red jewel tintcoat finish has got to be the absolute best, deepest shining and smoothest paint finish I have EVER seen on a production vehicle. It is almost show car quality. You DEFINITELY got a bad paint job and your description is NOT indicative of any of the other red jewel Enclave's we looked at on lots at the time. I also saw a crystal red Malibu in a parking lot yesterday and just stared at the paint as it glistened in the sun. Absolutely beautiful. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.
I'm with ccaats on this one. My Red Jewel Enclave has the finest, smoothest paint of any vehicle I have owned. Mine was built in April 2007.
digitwiz, I hope you get satisfaction!!

MRBUICK

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Can someone explain what he means by the "orange peeling"?

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
The paint surface would have the look or texture, mostly the look of an actual orange skin/peel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts