EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is to post pictures of your stock PCV.
Please include

Mileage (on factory part)
Oil used (syn or dino)

This item is located on the valve cover close to the firewall.

It can get clogged and lead to some issues- one being an increase of oil pooling in your air tube going to the throttle body.
The 2009-2012s had the holes which were too small. On many- the holes get plugged up. 2013's and up had the bigger holes.
Some folks do this mod AND add an oil catch can.

From the Camaro forum- "if the crankcase cannot evacuate properly all the damaging combustion byproducts will accumulate in the crankcase greatly shortening engine life."

Member SC2150 on the Camaro forum does a great job of describing why its important to keep this clean and free flowing.

For some interesting reading-
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/v6-engine-discussion/53385-llt-lfx-pcv-orfice-mod-importance.html

the Mod- is to take out the part and drill bigger holes. 7/64 on the top. and 5/64 on the 2 bottom holes.
If its plugged up- youd have to also clean it out.
Though it was recently brought up in the Enclave forum- that the part was now available.
I ordered the part. It does indeed show up with the smaller holes.

I simply drilled bigger holes.

If you have a new part.
Simply use pliers and grab the barb- turn clockwise and counterclockwise to help bring it up. It wont matter if you scratch up the old part.
If you will be reusing the old part- be more careful as it easily gets scratched and dented.

The put the part back in, I put a little bit of oil on the lower portion of the PCV and then gently tapped it in.
Others have used a socket over the PCV to help tap it in. (socket touches the large flat portion of the PCV).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mileage- 123,467
Oil- Valvoline Conventional 5W-30 (Dino).

I had never removed mine.
I clean my tube at every oil change (5,000 miles).
I get small amounts of oil pooling in the air tube. Never excessive.
My recent oil change had the most oil in the tube out of all my changes. (though still not overflowing from the tube).
So out of curiosity and the fact the part became available I decided to change it.

I was pleased that it was not completely plugged for the miles on engine.
I put my lips on the OEM unit and exhaled-- theres air flow-- but the new one with bigger holes- flows much better.

Not completely plugged- so thats good news.

original size hole and the bigger hole

·
Registered
448 Posts
rbarrios said:
This thread is to post pictures of your stock PCV.
Please include

Mileage (on factory part)
Oil used (syn or dino)

This item is located on the valve cover close to the firewall.

It can get clogged and lead to some issues- one being an increase of oil pooling in your air tube going to the throttle body.
The 2009-2012s had the holes which were too small. On many- the holes get plugged up. 2013's and up had the bigger holes.
Some folks do this mod AND add an oil catch can.

From the Camaro forum- "if the crankcase cannot evacuate properly all the damaging combustion byproducts will accumulate in the crankcase greatly shortening engine life."

Member SC2150 on the Camaro forum does a great job of describing why its important to keep this clean and free flowing.

For some interesting reading-
http://www.moderncamaro.com/forum/v6-engine-discussion/53385-llt-lfx-pcv-orfice-mod-importance.html

the Mod- is to take out the part and drill bigger holes. 7/64 on the top. and 5/64 on the 2 bottom holes.
If its plugged up- youd have to also clean it out.
Though it was recently brought up in the Enclave forum- that the part was now available.
I ordered the part. It does indeed show up with the smaller holes.

I simply drilled bigger holes.

If you have a new part.
Simply use pliers and grab the barb- turn clockwise and counterclockwise to help bring it up. It wont matter if you scratch up the old part.
If you will be reusing the old part- be more careful as it easily gets scratched and dented.

The put the part back in, I put a little bit of oil on the lower portion of the PCV and then gently tapped it in.
Others have used a socket over the PCV to help tap it in. (socket touches the large flat portion of the PCV).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Mileage- 123,467
Oil- Valvoline Conventional 5W-30 (Dino).

I had never removed mine.
I clean my tube at every oil change (5,000 miles).
I get small amounts of oil pooling in the air tube. Never excessive.
My recent oil change had the most oil in the tube out of all my changes. (though still not overflowing from the tube).
So out of curiosity and the fact the part became available I decided to change it.

I was pleased that it was not completely plugged for the miles on engine.
I put my lips on the OEM unit and exhaled-- theres air flow-- but the new one with bigger holes- flows much better.

Not completely plugged- so thats good news.

original size hole and the bigger hole

Nice write up as always. Do you notice any different sound? I'm tempted to do mine . I have 163K on it and always used synthetic oil.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to listen to a difference in sound..
But really could not tell if it changed.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
What is actually inside a PCV valve? Any measures taken to avoid getting shavings inside it?

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
silvervettes said:
1/2 clogged, I bet that's why you had the slight oil pooling. No issues with getting the old one out, or reinstalling?
as long as you turn it clockwise and counterclockwise- removal will be easy.
It will not pull up and out....
Reinstalling--- was hard to put it--- so I pulled it out- and put oil on it- and then tapped it in with my hammer. There is a hose by it--(I think it goes to rear for heat).. so gentle taps on the barb and it slid in.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
zman said:
What is actually inside a PCV valve? Any measures taken to avoid getting shavings inside it?
After I drilled holes...
I tapped it on the table and small shavings came out.
THen I blew air through it (from my lungs). tapped it some more. and repeated from both sides until nothing came out.

Then I used a flashlight to try to look in there---
and there are indeed- 2 more holes inside (middle portion)

·
Registered
251 Posts
So by this write up, the 2013 PVC's won't fit earlier models, so this needs to be drilled out vs purchasing the new ones? Nice write up.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kel03 said:
So by this write up, the 2013 PVC's won't fit earlier models, so this needs to be drilled out vs purchasing the new ones? Nice write up.
Apparently the 2013s have the larger holes.

Though- I just looked on RockAuto--- and 2013,2014,2015--- show the replacement part is the same one I bought- V518.

You may have to look at yours and determine which one it has.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
rbarrios said:
After I drilled holes...
I tapped it on the table and small shavings came out.
THen I blew air through it (from my lungs). tapped it some more. and repeated from both sides until nothing came out.

Then I used a flashlight to try to look in there---
and there are indeed- 2 more holes inside (middle portion)
Sorry, forgot to express thanks!

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked the tube-- 4,342 miles since the mod-- NO oil pooled!

·
Registered
188 Posts
does anyone have part number(s) for the PCV valve for a 2011? My local Canadian Tire did not have any part number in their system and the counter guy went on to INSIST that my vehicle did not have a pcv valve.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
does anyone have part number(s) for the PCV valve for a 2011? My local Canadian Tire did not have any part number in their system and the counter guy went on to INSIST that my vehicle did not have a pcv valve.

Just did a search on rockauto and its the same one as my 2010

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS V518 (Right)

it even shows (Left)-- OUT OF Stock.. not sure what this one is- as that part # does not exist on SMPs e-catalog.

yeah- I too thought there was none..
as technically its not a valve.... since it doesnt have a valve that open/closes.. but simply allows air to be sucked through.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just did a search on rockauto and its the same one as my 2010

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS V518 (Right)

it even shows (Left)-- OUT OF Stock.. not sure what this one is- as that part # does not exist on SMPs e-catalog.

yeah- I too thought there was none..
as technically its not a valve.... since it doesnt have a valve that open/closes.. but simply allows air to be sucked through.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,2011,enclave,3.6l+v6,1446630,exhaust+&+emission,pcv+(positive+crankcase+ventilation)+valve,5052

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks guys. I did see it on RockAuto, but with the shipping to Canada, sometimes its worth sourcing these small things locally. But NO where up here has them locally! I even called the dealer, and they told me that these newer vehicles DO NOT have a pcv valve!

I'm gonna remove mine and see what it looks like, and if in good shape, drill the holes. If in bad shape (like RB's clogged valve) then I'll have to order one from RA.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
since you wont have a replacement on hand...--- take care not to dent the sides (like if you use pliers)

·
Registered
188 Posts
since you wont have a replacement on hand...--- take care not to dent the sides (like if you use pliers)
Looked ok... i cleaned it up, and drilled it out. I checked my intake tube, and found NO oil or pooling. I cleaned my throttle body a few weeks or so ago, and it looks good since.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts