EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 motor oil in my local stores (Columbus, OH) and almost no one seems to have any in stock. Pep Boys has it for almost $10/quart. It seems that other than Pep Boys the only other place I can find it is on Amazon.com. In fact Walmart has stopped carrying it for some unknown reason. Does anyone know if the Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 oil is being replaced with something else? Or does anyone know where else I can find the oil at a cheaper price than $10/quart?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I tried looking for it last week at Meijer. 5 qt jug was on sale for 21.99 with a 10.00 mail in rebate. They had zilch all week!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I fan Ultra for the first 90,000 miles. then it became less easy to find. I didn't expend a lot of energy looking. I switched to Platinum. Turned over 109,000 miles today (9/24/13). Seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Pep boys had it last week when I picked up the PP

Don't remember the cost though

·
Registered
795 Posts
cfedor said:
I tried looking for it last week at Meijer. 5 qt jug was on sale for 21.99 with a 10.00 mail in rebate. They had zilch all week!
get a rain check. that's what I did and it works great.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GREAT NEWS. I had to do some searching but I found eight of the 5qt bottles and four of the 1qt. bottles at the South High St. Walmart. The 1qt bottles were $7.62/qt, while the 5qt. bottles were $26.97 each. I cleaned them out so you will not be able to find it at that store. I was only able to order 6 of the 5qt. bottles and 2 of the 1qt. bottles on the Walmart website, as it displayed that it was out of stock for any higher quantities. When I went to pick them up I decided to check the shelves and that's when I found the remaining bottles. This means that despite what the Walmart website says about availability, just go to a couple of your local Walmart stores and check the shelves. In addition...there is currently a shell gas discount on each bottle of Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra.

Also, Pep Boys has a $40 DIY oil change coupon on their website that includes five 1qt. bottles of Pennzoil Ultra and a Purolater One oil filter. Since it's a DIY oil change, this means that you buy and take with you the oil and filter. I'm not sure how good the filter is, but on oil alone at $8/qt. it could be a sweet deal for those with Enclaves that require only 5qts of oil. Since my 2012 E requires six quarts of oil this deal wouldn't be good for me.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
D_Richardson said:
GREAT NEWS. I had to do some searching but I found eight of the 5qt bottles and four of the 1qt. bottles at the South High St. Walmart. The 1qt bottles were $7.62/qt, while the 5qt. bottles were $26.97 each. I cleaned them out so you will not be able to find it at that store. I was only able to order 6 of the 5qt. bottles and 2 of the 1qt. bottles on the Walmart website, as it displayed that it was out of stock for any higher quantities. When I went to pick them up I decided to check the shelves and that's when I found the remaining bottles. This means that despite what the Walmart website says about availability, just go to a couple of your local Walmart stores and check the shelves. In addition...there is currently a shell gas discount on each bottle of Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra.

Also, Pep Boys has a $40 DIY oil change coupon on their website that includes five 1qt. bottles of Pennzoil Ultra and a Purolater One oil filter. Since it's a DIY oil change, this means that you buy and take with you the oil and filter. I'm not sure how good the filter is, but on oil alone at $8/qt. it could be a sweet deal for those with Enclaves that require only 5qts of oil. Since my 2012 E requires six quarts of oil this deal wouldn't be good for me.
You hog, you! :happy:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
The 2008-2010 Enclaves take 5.5 quarts of engine oil instead of 6 quarts for the 2011-2014 models. That means that 6 quarts of oil are needed for the oil change, but 1/2 quart is left over.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
A while back- I had seen the Ultra on the clearance shelf at WM.
But it wasnt the 5W-30-- so I left them there.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I still possess the $5 voucher from the recent Pennzoil rebate. It expires October 31st, so I will start shopping around for Ultra to insure that I can purchase some while the voucher is still valid.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I was just searching for the penzoil ultra.

There is a coupon on there website for 10.00 off a synthetic oil change with certain service centers/dealers.

Its not something that will help the DIY type but I thought it might be of use to others.

http://pzlnationalcoupon.com/

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I found plenty of 1 quart containers of PU at Pep Boys yesterday. That location never carries the 5.1 quart jugs of PU, only PP. Needless to say, I stocked up for my Enclave's next oil change in a few months.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
So, which is better, ultra or platinum? I got 2 - 5 qt. jugs of Platinum at Meijer for 11.49/ea(after mail in rebate).

·
Registered
5,907 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cfedor...I would say keep and use your PP and then switch to Ultra since you've already spent the money (at a great deal with the rebate). Where did you find the $10 rebate info? The Pennzoil website is only promoting the 50 cents per gallon gas rebate on the 5qt. bottles.

It seems that Pep Boys is the only local retailer carrying the PU (at $9.79/bottle when I checked today) in stock, and the price may be the only reason why they have a stock. Other than this you'll have to purchase it on Amazon.com, who sells it by the case (of six 1qt bottles) for $50.24/case. Since most users believe that this stuff is 'all that and a bag of chips', then does anyone have any intel on why it seems to be fading from store shelves? There's got to be something behind this.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
D_Richardson said:
Cfedor...I would say keep and use your PP and then switch to Ultra since you've already spent the money (at a great deal with the rebate). Where did you find the $10 rebate info? The Pennzoil website is only promoting the 50 cents per gallon gas rebate on the 5qt. bottles.

It seems that Pep Boys is the only local retailer carrying the PU (at $9.79/bottle when I checked today) in stock, and the price may be the only reason why they have a stock. Other than this you'll have to purchase it on Amazon.com, who sells it by the case (of six 1qt bottles) for $50.24/case. Since most users believe that this stuff is 'all that and a bag of chips', then does anyone have any intel on why it seems to be fading from store shelves? There's got to be something behind this.
D_richardson, our local Meijer add ran it with a Meijer custom coupon at checking out. Got a coupon printed out with my receipt for the mail in.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
D_Richardson said:

That was the price that I paid per quart of PU. I purchased 8 quarts; 5.5 for the next oil change and the rest for topping off between. My Enclave has consistently consumed about 1.75 quarts of PP between 5,000 mile drains. According to the Pennzoil website, PU is formulated to reduce oil consumption. So, hopefully the couple of extra PU quarts won't be needed, and I will save them for the following oil change instead. I will keep you posted.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
13 Participants
dzs3fz
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing