EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else have a problem getting the phone to understand the correct numbers? I tried 18 ,yes 18 times, to get the correct number to input before giving up and calling Onstar. The phone continually misplaced 7 for 9 and 8 for 6. I'm from the midwest so I don't consider myself to have an accent. The advisor said females are having a harder time to get the voice recognition to work b/c of the higher pitch. I'm going to wait until my husband gets home and hopefully it will work and he can set the numbers to a name.
 
G

·
i have a little trouble, but were from the south so we do have an accent, not a real thick one but enough to know were from texas, it confuses my 9 for a 5 but nothing else really. most of the time it tells me to speak slower.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Enclavious said:
Anyone else have a problem getting the phone to understand the correct numbers? I tried 18 ,yes 18 times, to get the correct number to input before giving up and calling Onstar. The phone continually misplaced 7 for 9 and 8 for 6. I from the midwest so I don't consider myself to have an accent. The advisor said females are having a harder time to get the voice recognition to work b/c of the higher pitch. I'm going to wait until my husband gets home and hopefully it will work and he can set the numbers to a name.
Try speaking very low/soft! it has an incredible microphone and solved my probs :thumb:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,997 Posts
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
i have a little trouble, but were from the south so we do have an accent, not a real thick one but enough to know were from texas, it confuses my 9 for a 5 but nothing else really. most of the time it tells me to speak slower.
If you speak the way you type then I get why Onstar would have problems understanding you. ;) :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I keep getting threes instead of nines on the dial number command. Still, I can't change the radio station at all, or navigate to a voice-tagged address book entry either, so a "3" for a "9" is good going considering!

Female, British accent. I've also tried it in a north american accent and still have the same problems :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smokin, I took your advice this morning and literally whispered and it worked. Now I just need to read the manual on how to have the number matched to the name.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
Enclavious said:
Smokin, I took your advice this morning and literally whispered and it worked. Now I just need to read the manual on how to have the number matched to the name.
Glad it worked! :thumb: It may not help our British lady poster however ;)

I entered a few name tags for the dialer and it's easy. I think you say Store or name tag after pressing button? I did it 2 months ago and don't remember exactly. It's in book or just say Help after pressing the steering wheel button and the choices are given!
Good Luck!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I'm no lady ;)

I managed to change the radio station this morning by speaking more softly. Maybe I was too loud before? Haven't tried a dial number that way yet, it was a bit early to be calling people.
 
G

·
butterscotch said:
I'm no lady ;)

I managed to change the radio station this morning by speaking more softly. Maybe I was too loud before? Haven't tried a dial number that way yet, it was a bit early to be calling people.
but you have your gender selected as female. :confused: :confused: :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Rollin Thunder + Black Bandit said:
but you have your gender selected as female. :confused: :confused: :confused:
Oh I am female, I just meant I'm not a lady!

(ladies behave well, sip tea with their pinky out, never swear at other drivers etc. ;D)
 
G

·
butterscotch said:
Oh I am female, I just meant I'm not a lady!

(ladies behave well, sip tea with their pinky out, never swear at other drivers etc. ;D)

i think both males and females never do the first 2 things and EVERYBODY does the third.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
This is a funny one!
I had this same problem and repeated the phone number i was calling around a dozen times!
I said it slow, fast..you name it. My kids were laughing at me as we listened to the lady read it back!!!
Finally, I got the hang of it..
And, I'm from Boston and definitely DON'T have an accent!!! :eek:hno: (Although people say "Your from Boston!" when we are on vacation!!--how do they know that? LOL!!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
axiama said:
If you speak the way you type then I get why Onstar would have problems understanding you. ;) :p
Funny and true.

That said, in my past Onstar experiences, never once had an issue with it recognizing anything, just speaking clear and direct, without other chatter around. Basically like a typical voice recognition system, that works well.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top