EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, we finally brought home the enclave today. cocoa/cashmire, CXL, ent. pkg#2, confidence pkg, tow pkg, & second sunroof. We had a 4 day delay on the delivery due to a defective radiator that they caught on the pre-delivery inspection. first, I want to say that Midway motors in McPherson KS is a 1st class business. I especially want to praise Wade, my sales guy. These folks did an amazing job in making the whole experience worthwhile. There was not one sign of "hiding in the bushes" or any other questionable activites from them. They were honest and straight forward the whole time.
The drive home yielded a few comments: First OMG! how quiet, comfortable, and smooth. I spent a good portion of time before I took delivery looking at every detail to see if there was any issues with fit and finsh. I found nothing. Next, some of my responses to some of the concerns that have been raised on the board: Power; Mine isnt broke in yet, so it has a litle less power than a vehical properly broken in...but....some here have mentioned that it lacks power. Compared to what? Horse hokey! considering it's size, I had no problems exceeding the speed limit at any time ;D . That V6 is rather impressive to me. It'll keep up with my folks's HO V8 grand cherokee without question. A little less punch from the start, but very good nonetheless. I dont see this as a problem at all considering the design intentions of the car. If I was towing, I might want some extra torque, but I dont see a huge debt of power like some lead me to speculate on the board.
The forward / rearward roll in park issue really isnt an issue. 3-4" maybe. I dont see myself inadvertantly rolling into another car because of it. I think perspective has a bit to do with it. I found that I only noticed it when I put it in park and began to step out of the car before moving my right foot off the brake. The initial movement got my attention as if I had forgotten to put it in park.
The transmission shifting was noticable on hills of mild caliber, but not annoying to me really. I havent had her more than a day to find anything annoying yet though. One thing I did figure out though, was that if I shifted to "L" and manually shifted, I could keep it in a higher gear without the constant shifting. This lead to a question though.... In any vehical I have ever driven with an electronic transmission, If I manually shift with the buttons, I can choose my gear and start or stay in that gear all the way to redline unless the gear falls outside the usable range. If it falls outside the selected range, they just shift up or down and indicate the change on the displays. this car shifts all over the place without regard to my selected gear and never changes the display of my selected gear. What gives? Why give me the option to control my shift points if you're gonna do what you want anyway? There is some manual manipulation of the gears, but not completely.
Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more to add later.
TT

·
Registered
333 Posts
Jetguy said:
If it falls outside the selected range, they just shift up or down and indicate the change on the displays. this car shifts all over the place without regard to my selected gear and never changes the display of my selected gear. What gives? Why give me the option to control my shift points if you're gonna do what you want anyway? There is some manual manipulation of the gears, but not completely.
Anyway, I'm sure I'll have more to add later.
TT
Congrats Jetguy!! :cheers: You'll enjoy it...I have no issues with power either, especially if you run it in manualish mode. Some cars I've had will shift at the redline like Audi's, our Infiniti will stay in a gear selected until the rev limiter just like a manual (my favorite) then there is the Enclave and its' Electronic Range Select Mode...I drive around town in L4 and find much less bogging and downshifting since IMHO the vehicle up shifts too soon. Here is the excerpt from the manual...

Electronic Range Select Mode
Electronic Range Selector (ERS) mode allows you to
choose the top-gear limit of the vehicle’s transmission
and the vehicle’s speed while driving down hill or towing
a trailer.
To use this feature, do the following:
1. Move the shift lever to LOW (L).
2. Press the plus/minus
button located on the
shift lever, to increase
or decrease the gear
range available based
upon your current
driving conditions
and needs.
When you shift from DRIVE (D) to LOW (L), the
transmission will shift to a pre-determined lower gear
range. The highest gear available for this pre-determined
range is displayed next to the L in the DIC. See Driver
Information Center (DIC) on page 3-50 and DIC
Operation and Displays on page 3-50 for more
information. The number displayed in the DIC is the
highest gear that the transmission will be allowed to
operate in. However, your vehicle can automatically
shift to lower gears as required by various driving
conditions. This means that all gears below that number
are available. For example, when FOURTH (4) is shown
next to the L, FIRST (1) through FOURTH (4) gears are
automatically shifted by the vehicle. You cannot shift into
FIFTH (5) until the plus (+) button is used or you shift
back into DRIVE (D) mode.
While in LOW (L), the transmission will prevent shifting
to a lower gear range if the engine speed is too high
for the gear range you are trying to select. You have
a brief period of time to slow the vehicle speed. If vehicle
speed is not reduced within the timeframe allowed,
the lower gear range attempted will not be available.
The highest possible gear that is allowed for that engine
speed will display next to the L in the DIC. Try again
to slow the vehicle speed and press the minus (−) button
to the desired lower gear range.
Automatic Engine Grade braking is not available when
the ERS is active. It is available in DRIVE (D) for both
normal and Tow/Haul mode. While using the ERS, cruise
control and the tow/haul mode can be used. See Tow/
Haul Mode on page 2-34 for more information.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Congratulations JetGuy! Glad to hear your precious is safe and sound now in your garage! :thumb: I know what you mean about the "wow" factor regarding the quiet ride. After 2500 miles I'm still amazed at that. Some people have commented about the loud fan noise from the heater or AC, and I notice that too but I dont think it's any louder than any other car, it's just that the car is so sound proof and quiet, that the fan noise seems amplified. Have you checked out the sound system yet? Great sound in my opinion. I enjoy putting in a CD and cranking it up on my way home from work. Something I haven't done in a long time, as I usually listen to talk radio or regular FM. Another cool feature I just love, and that people notice, is when you hit your unlock button on the key fob at night as you're walking to your car, the lights go "POW"! That's the only way I can describe it. They really make a statement when they pop on. They are so beautiful!! ;D Very fun.

Enjoy your ride!!! :cheers:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Jetguy said:
One thing I did figure out though, was that if I shifted to "L" and manually shifted, I could keep it in a higher gear without the constant shifting. This lead to a question though.... In any vehical I have ever driven with an electronic transmission, If I manually shift with the buttons, I can choose my gear and start or stay in that gear all the way to redline unless the gear falls outside the usable range. If it falls outside the selected range, they just shift up or down and indicate the change on the displays. this car shifts all over the place without regard to my selected gear and never changes the display of my selected gear. What gives? Why give me the option to control my shift points if you're gonna do what you want anyway? There is some manual manipulation of the gears, but not completely.
Yes, you are correct, the "manual" mode is different than the "manual" modes in every other car I have driven. The Enclave does NOT, in fact, let you set what gear you are in. In my BMW, for example, the manual mode lets me determine exactly what gear I'm in. Rather, think of it as similar to the "disable overdrive" found in some older cars. I think of the 'L' as standing for 'Limit', it limits the HIGHEST gear it will use. So if you set it to L4, it will shift among gears 1-4, L5 use gears 1-5, etc.

When I first learned this, I thought it made the "manual" mode useless. After using it, however, I think it's actually a great design, especially for a non-sports car. This way still lets you to keep it in first or second, when you need the traction (e.g. snow). It also lets you force it to not use the higher gears (e.g. lots of hills), when you want a bit more torque.

What it does not allow is for you to do the shifting yourself, just for fun. But unless you're in a real sports car (e.g. M5), this seems of dubious value. I can't image anyone driving an Enclave and wanting to do all the shifting themselves, it's just not that type of car.

·
Registered
333 Posts
jbradfor said:
What it does not allow is for you to do the shifting yourself, just for fun. But unless you're in a real sports car (e.g. M5), this seems of dubious value. I can't image anyone driving an Enclave and wanting to do all the shifting themselves, it's just not that type of car.

[/quote

I disagree, sort of. If you start in L1 you can upshift through the gears as long as you are driving it fairly hard, high revs so that when you select L2/3/4/, it shifts. Downshifting can be faked manually also, by selecting lower L numbers as the speed bleeds down.
I do agree with your assesment of the "why?" part though....except for occasional fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts