EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm leaning toward going with the platinum ice, does anyone know if this will be a color that I can simply retouch with a tube of touch up paint or will it be too difficult to retouch?

·
Registered
221 Posts
If it is the tricoat, it will be difficult to match perfectly. Just don't drive it and you'll be fine!

·
Registered
444 Posts
It's really going to depend on how big the touch-up is. Small pin holes no, Scratches in clear-coat no. Big stuff ????

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input so far....

I guess, my question is: will the Platinum Ice tricoat be more difficult to touch up than other "regular" paint colors because of the tricoat process? Is this a reason to avoid this color?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
baseballmom94 said:
Thanks for the input so far....

I guess, my question is: will the Platinum Ice tricoat be more difficult to touch up than other "regular" paint colors because of the tricoat process? Is this a reason to avoid this color?
If you like white, as we do (White Opal is ours!) Get it!! Small chips are really not too outstanding when touched up (you'll always know where they are, no matter what color!!) and "big stuff" can be handled by a "good" body shop w' Caddy experience!! (they've had pearl colors for years!) But, yes, it's a little trickier than other colors.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The Platinum Ice or White Diamond tri-coat is cool.

First we start with double sided galvanized metal. Then we chemically treat it to except the elpo. Elpo is a thick paint that goes on in a dip tank; the car body actually goes into the dip tank with a positive charge on the body and a negative charge in the elpo bath (or visa-versa I can’t remember). This causes the metal platelets in the elpo bath to adhere to the galvanized metal. Then it goes into an oven to bake. Then it gets prime-coat, base-coat and clear-coat with an oven in between each.

Now hears the cool part, for a tri-coat we put an extra coat of paint over the base-coat called an interference coat. This has special metal partials in it to promote light refraction in a different way.

If it was me – I would get it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
baseballmom94 said:
Since I'm leaning toward going with the platinum ice, does anyone know if this will be a color that I can simply retouch with a tube of touch up paint or will it be too difficult to retouch?
My husband used to do professional paint touch up - you will never match up the tricoat finish unless you repaint the panel. :help: Process can't be matched with a bottle unfortunately. He steered me away from it for that reason. I do like the Platinum Ice Tricoat - it sounds like a great color. Just don't get near anyone or anything!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Don, I've never heard the explanation for the tri coats, but that was really great. We love our WDT and will take our chances with chipping. My '65 Riviera GS is also WDT, a 2004 Cadillac color and it appears to be whiter than the Enclave. We put 5 coats of clear over it and so far have not had any problems with chipping, but we are verrrrrrrry careful!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts