EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wants to watch the DVD that the kids are watching in the back seat on the navigation screen while we are dirving. Is there any way to do this? I have heard that by holding a combination of buttions down, this can be accomplished.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
can you watch dvd on the front if you have the headrest mounted dvd players? my guess is no since the dvd players are in each headset

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
kamoir said:
My wife wants to watch the DVD that the kids are watching in the back seat on the navigation screen while we are dirving. Is there any way to do this? I have heard that by holding a combination of buttions down, this can be accomplished.
Unless you get set-up rockyp is referring to, you can't. In many states it is illegal to have ANY movies displaying, while driving, on front screen! Fines are BIG! Check it out for your state law (and nearby states!!)before investing........ :thumb:

·
Registered
200 Posts
The system is configurable. You can use it when you want to or not.

We have speed limits as well. That doesn't mean all cars are restricted to 65MPH...

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
True! But many large tickets are given out daily. Virginia State just recently announced a budget shortfall, so will begin handing out $1,200 speeding tickets!! :confused: Beware all travelers!

And if your violation can be shown (witnesses, radar, movie STILL playing after an accident...etc) to be a factor in the accident, your ins. co. can refuse complete coverage of liability.

Personally I think it's foolish to play a movie on front dash while driving along...........I know, it's for the passenger only! :eyebrow: And a cop can spot that movie screen from 1/2 mile away.

Play the game only when you know the risks ;)

Just MHO

·
Registered
200 Posts
The Virginia law applied to IN STATE residence ONLY.

And it was rescinded recently by the state. Unfortunately for those that get nailed while it was a law. Virginia has a separate law that inhibits people from getting their money back, or reducing fines while the law was active.

·
Registered
721 Posts
kamoir said:
My wife wants to watch the DVD that the kids are watching in the back seat on the navigation screen while we are dirving......snip
she could always ride in the back with the kids-there's room......... ;)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
And a cop can spot that movie screen from 1/2 mile away.
I really doubt that, Smokin. I can't even see most cars' nav screens when parked beside or behind them.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
rockyp said:
I really doubt that, Smokin. I can't even see most cars' nav screens when parked beside or behind them.
OK, sure, an exaggeration, but at night, the factory screen (higher up) is very visible from behind,
and if a now observant cop pulls alongside and sees The Transformers on the front dash as well......get the check book ready. I think it's simply asking for trouble, to have that much of a sound-thrilling, attention draining, moving distraction in front of you. Ever notice how accidents increase in summer, when girls are out jogging? ;)

Glad to hear about VA voiding that law. I go to VA and do "attain lofty speeds" at times. (only in safest of all conditions/roads/weather, etc-honest) Yeah, I too break the law at times, but it's the Enclaves fault, I swear!

Stay safe.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
OK, sure, an exaggeration, but at night, the factory screen (higher up) is very visible from behind,
and if a now observant cop pulls alongside and sees The Transformers on the front dash as well......get the check book ready. I think it's simply asking for trouble, to have that much of a sound-thrilling, attention draining, moving distraction in front of you. Ever notice how accidents increase in summer, when girls are out jogging? ;)

Glad to hear about VA voiding that law. I go to VA and do "attain lofty speeds" at times. (only in safest of all conditions/roads/weather, etc-honest) Yeah, I too break the law at times, but it's the Enclaves fault, I swear!

Stay safe.
OK if that is your concern, how about when a chick flick, no wait, I wouldn't watch it, but it would likely put me to sleep. Yeah chick flicks are probably no better :thumb:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Smokin SRX said:

Stay safe.
If you're not a VA resident, the law never applied to you. You had to be a VA resident. It was supposed to reduce car accidents. While the law was active, there were more accidents and many cops wrote reduced tickets to avoid reaching the fine limit. So, the law failed to produce the outcome that was intended (although, statistically, there was a limited set of data to draw the trend.

·
Registered
349 Posts
bsox said:
OK if that is your concern, how about when a chick flick, no wait, I wouldn't watch it, but it would likely put me to sleep. Yeah chick flicks are probably no better :thumb:
My wife and kids watched a chick flick on our long trip this past weekend. The screen wasn't a distraction but listening was a big distraction. I could not listen to anything with the front screen on dvd so I made them wear headphones while I drove 2 hours in silence. Come to think about it, that was the best two hours I've had in years :happy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought the lockpick and installed it today. It was very easy to install and it works great. The DVD runs on the front screen any time you put the front into DVD mode and by pushing mute 4 times, you can enter an address while moving. Also you can have full function of the XM screens and FM screens while moving. It is great. If you are considering the install, here are a few pointers that I read or learned during my install. First, the brown connector is the connector closest to the steering wheel when you remove the radio. There are 3 black connectors. The one you want to install is the one which is nearest to the glove box. Also, even though you radio is off when you install the clips, there will be a nasty sound made by the radio when you connect the lock pick that lasts about 4 seconds. DO NOT worry. This does not cause a problem, it just sounds bad. Factory lockpick configuration works best, The space below the radio and behind the AC controls is tight but, there is enough space for the wire harness and the lockpick box. Bottom line, I am glad I got it, it works great.

·
Registered
161 Posts
How easy is it to remove the Lockpik unit?

I'm looking to lease an Enclave, and might want to take this with me after all is said and done.

thanks,

m

·
Registered
83 Posts
The headrest dvd that you see in my gallery is by invision. It is not hooked up to the main head unit. It can broadcast an fm signal and you can listen in the whole car that way. But it sounds better on the headphones. It is the same unit factory installed on the Denali etc. The signal therefore cannot be played on the nav screen. But if you get the ceiling mounted package 4 it is possible to watch a dvd while in park, unless you have lockpick of course.

·
Registered
612 Posts
txhokie4life said:

I'm looking to lease an Enclave, and might want to take this with me after all is said and done.

thanks,

m
Since there is no wire cutting, or soldering involved it should be much easier to remove the lock pick than install it (which is a pain since you have to shove the "black box" behind the radio to get it to fit. A very very tight fit, but it is possible. My gallery has some pictures of an install. Removing the "blue wire" allowing viewing of the rear camera anytime could also be problematic

·
Registered
349 Posts
txhokie4life said:

thanks,

m
It took me less than 5 minutes to remove the one in my Wife's Enclave. It is really simple.

I removed it because there is a buzz heard when you turn a turn signal on. It is intermittent but nobody recalls it happening before the lockpick installation. I removed it for a week to see if the noise happens. I also have another identical unit in my Yukon Denali and it works flawlessly so I'm hoping it is a defective unit I can get replaced.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Clave Man said:
Removing the "blue wire" allowing viewing of the rear camera anytime could also be problematic
If you plan ahead -for possible removal - and install insulated clips (vs the provided butt connector) for the rear camera, you can detach the rear camera wire as easy as you do the NAV connectors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts