EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got new tires on my 2015 Enclave with just 34,500 miles on it due to an unrepairable flat tire. After spending about $850.xx I also got a 4 wheel alignment (after a huge investment). The new tires are same size spec, but I went with Perelli Scorpion Verdes all season. But ever since I have had issues with the ride (can not inflate these tires more than 32psi cold, or the truck rides like a 50 year old wooden Rollercoaster). Secondly I have had the tires balanced 3 times since install in less than 1000 miles of driving because the E and steering wheel is smooth as usual.... except between 62 and 80mph (the steering wheel shakes and shimmy. I can also feel vibration in the gas peddle and my seat). At 60 and over 80 everything is smooth as glass. What's wrong!! I just want my Enclave back to the way it was. HELP!!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Did you have the tire/wheels load force balanced? Are your old tires exactly the same? compare both tire specs i looked up P255-55RR20 107H that came on my 2014 and my 2017 and the tire you bought apparently is a higher load range 110 v/s 107 and weighs 3 lbs more this can affect ride. I suspect your vibration is tire related.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a little ignorant, not sure what a load force balance is. As far as the tires, I had Michelin tires, stock from factory. The Perelli's were our first replacements. I deviated from the M's because the ride seemed to have degraded with age and miles on the tires. I will admit the Perelli's do run smoother at 32psi cold and takes the bumps and potholes better. It's sad to say, but my wife's Honda Pilot sometimes rides smoother than my Buick. If I didn't have the vibration at that speed window, I would be lovin life. Not sure what to do now.

·
Registered
2015 Buick Enclave
30 Posts
If the vibration isn't there above 80MPH then I would assume that there is a problem with the alignment and not the balance (since you've already had it back several times too). Balance issues don't go away at higher speeds. Can you get them to check the alignment again - I took a car back to the alignment shop once to have to correct an issue and they were pretty good about it and didn't charge me anything.

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
Its been known- that if the suspension is left hanging- while repairs are done-- it may cause the struts to extend for a period of time.
Afterwards- they are stiff. Cause harsh ride. Replacement is the answer.
But I also wonder if you have worn control arm bushings etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its been known- that if the suspension is left hanging- while repairs are done-- it may cause the struts to extend for a period of time.
Afterwards- they are stiff. Cause harsh ride. Replacement is the answer.
But I also wonder if you have worn control arm bushings etc.
Bad struts or worn bushings with less than 35,000 miles on the truck. Granted it is 6 years old.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the vibration isn't there above 80MPH then I would assume that there is a problem with the alignment and not the balance (since you've already had it back several times too). Balance issues don't go away at higher speeds. Can you get them to check the alignment again - I took a car back to the alignment shop once to have to correct an issue and they were pretty good about it and didn't charge me anything.
I can and will.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If the shake was not present before the new tires, then the problem is the new tires. Take them back and have them replaced.

A friend of mine bought 4 new tires several years ago for his full sized ford van. His wife noticed after driving it that the steering wheel shook after exceeding 70mph.

He took it back a total of three times to have them rebalance and or align the vehicle on the forth visit they discovered one of the tires had a defect in it, they replaced the tire and problem solved. My guess is one of your new tires has a defect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got new tires on my 2015 Enclave with just 34,500 miles on it due to an unrepairable flat tire. After spending about $850.xx I also got a 4 wheel alignment (after a huge investment). The new tires are same size spec, but I went with Perelli Scorpion Verdes all season. But ever since I have had issues with the ride (can not inflate these tires more than 32psi cold, or the truck rides like a 50 year old wooden Rollercoaster). Secondly I have had the tires balanced 3 times since install in less than 1000 miles of driving because the E and steering wheel is smooth as usual.... except between 62 and 80mph (the steering wheel shakes and shimmy. I can also feel vibration in the gas peddle and my seat). At 60 and over 80 everything is smooth as glass. What's wrong!! I just want my Enclave back to the way it was. HELP!!
I have a similar issue with my 2011 Enclave with 162k miles. I am on my second set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS tires and was very happy with the first set.
I get a steering wheel shake from like 67 mph to 74 mph. This is typically a tire balance issue but my tire shop has rebalanced the tires and swears they are good.

To help isolate tires vs suspension, rotate the tires. It is fairly easy and if the vibrations change / disappear the it's a tire / wheel issue.

I recently replaced both front stabilizer links. This is not a probable issue but I did notice the vibrations at the steering wheel decreased (but are still present at said speeds). Front stabilizer links are $35 each (i.e. cheap) and easy to replace.
I did notice my front passenger sway bar bushing has completely deteriorated when replacing the stabilizer links. The sway bar bushings are probably not the source but are on my list to replace. I suspect some extra "harmonic vibrations" in the wheels with the worn bushings due the reduced dampening from the sway bar.
Also on the list are the (outer) tie rod ends that connect the steering rods to the knuckles. With the wheel in the air, I pushed/pulled on various parts of it to check for play. With my hands at 3 and 9 o'clock, there is a tiny amount of play. This suggests worn tie rid ends.

Good luck resolving.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts