EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember that this is Way-Off Topic......

As you know, I and many others here have strong political views and opinions, and I apologize if anyone was offended.
I will continue to post political stories, but will refrain from offering any comments on the replies. I will bring the stories forward, and sit back and watch.
There have been some lively discussions here, and I hope they continue.

>>>See the NEW "Child Board" POLITICS.
>>>All active political topics have been moved there.

MRBUICK

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it. We all know that this is the WAY Off Topic area. You are clearly a little bit right compared to some of us and people like deacon are quite a bit left. Rarely do the debates become personal in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have already moved most/all active political topics to the sub-basement.
Feel free to offer suggestions for others.
Thanks for the feedback 2Much.

MRBUICK

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I moved the obvious ones first as a matter of expediency, without opening each thread and reading them.
The suggested list will be moved.

MRBUICK

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
I see we've been redecorating the basement. ;D

Where the **** are the velvet Elvis paintings???

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
axiama said:

Nice one :thumb:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
axiama said:

Check the sub sub basement :D

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
zman said:
I wouldn't sweat it. We all know that this is the WAY Off Topic area. You are clearly a little bit right compared to some of us and people like deacon are quite a bit left. Rarely do the debates become personal in my opinion.
Perhaps you're correct in the abstract.

But the notion that extremists (on either side) don't want the debates to get personal is, IMO, naive. That's because in the 21st Century of extremist politics on talk radio/TV and Internet Message Boards.....which is, after all, the way dialogue is most widely carried these days in our society......it's never about what's best for the country, but simply how thoroughly you can obliterate your political opposition.

And, make sure you back up the truck and run over the dead carcass whenever the opportunity arises.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
wvuguy said:
it's never about what's best for the country, but simply how thoroughly you can obliterate your political opposition.

And, make sure you back up the truck and run over the dead carcass whenever the opportunity arises.
So totally on the mark. I am very into attending the government meetings locally and have been known to step up and speak my mind. Our neighbors a few years ago said I should run for a position and my reply was...nope too many knives being tossed around and in all reality...I want to be one of those trying to keep our government on track by standing up and speaking my mind.

I truly believe that those who wanted the power and have the power initially became involved because of their passion for what ever reason. Then once they were in the spotlight...that passion turned into....LOOK AT ME...and their reason flew out the windowl.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey, Ax - Here it is!

2Much

·
Registered
177 Posts
wvuguy said:
Perhaps you're correct in the abstract.

But the notion that extremists (on either side) don't want the debates to get personal is, IMO, naive. That's because in the 21st Century of extremist politics on talk radio/TV and Internet Message Boards.....which is, after all, the way dialogue is most widely carried these days in our society......it's never about what's best for the country, but simply how thoroughly you can obliterate your political opposition.

I tend to have a much more rosy view of the motives of those in the political world. Don't get me wrong, the world itself is far from rosy itself. But those on both extremes most often DO want what they believe is best for the country. They're not just trying to obliterate the other side's opinion. I'm not even a moderate and I believe that. I see the other's side of view and I know it isn't just about winning, they want what's best for the country.... usually. Ha! We just disagree on what's best for the country.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I find it interesting that this thread is not more used. This being election day today, I figured there would be more political conversation here. But perhaps people are just reluctant to share political views online. I certainly am!

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
FortWayne1 said:
I find it interesting that this thread is not more used. This being election day today, I figured there would be more political conversation here. But perhaps people are just reluctant to share political views online. I certainly am!
Perhaps this is why I have 10 ignores. It was more active during the last election circle.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm guilty of this as well, so the finger is pointed right back at me. But perhaps the issue is that we aren't as gracious in our political discussions as we should be. Let's not kid ourselves as some do, that the political world of yesteryear was more civil.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
FortWayne1 said:
I'm guilty of this as well, so the finger is pointed right back at me. But perhaps the issue is that we aren't as gracious in our political discussions as we should be. Let's not kid ourselves as some do, that the political world of yesteryear was more civil.
True it wasn't, difference being it wasn't so open and available as it is on the internet for discussion/debates and well bashing.

I was brought up in a home where my Father was a Republican and my Mother was a Democrat. It was a very interesting time during elections but...never out right screaming matches.

I chuckle as I remember my Mother saying she had to vote to "cancel" out Father's vote.

I chuckle now as my husband is a Libertarian and I poked at him this morning as I would be voting for the "human services levy" and I know he will be voting against it. Everything else....our choices to make.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was so ANGRY :uzi: after the last election, I decided, so save my sanity, to stay out of politics.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Sailfish said:
True it wasn't, difference being it wasn't so open and available as it is on the internet for discussion/debates and well bashing.

I was brought up in a home where my Father was a Republican and my Mother was a Democrat. It was a very interesting time during elections but...never out right screaming matches.

I chuckle as I remember my Mother saying she had to vote to "cancel" out Father's vote.

I chuckle now as my husband is a Libertarian and I poked at him this morning as I would be voting for the "human services levy" and I know he will be voting against it. Everything else....our choices to make.
That's funny....your folks didn't have to go vote since they would cancel each other out. I wasn't going to vote today, but had to be out for something else, so since I was driving right past the polls, I stopped in to vote. Can someone smarter than I am please explain why in this computer age we still have to physically walk into a building to vote? When will online voting ever happen? Still ponder that every election. :-\

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
kidsenclave said:
That's funny....your folks didn't have to go vote since they would cancel each other out. I wasn't going to vote today, but had to be out for something else, so since I was driving right past the polls, I stopped in to vote. Can someone smarter than I am please explain why in this computer age we still have to physically walk into a building to vote? When will online voting ever happen? Still ponder that every election. :-\
My Mother voted in her last election November 2012. She was in the nursing home in May 2013 and no one took her to vote. First one she said she had missed in more years than she could remember. She was 93 that November and still sharp as a tack as to what was going on politically.

I guess that is where I get my drive to read and research and make up my own mind about the world around us.

I was surprised as my husband said he voted for the human services levy.

As for what else is happening....oh well we shall see the outcome during these next 2 years.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
11 Participants
sailfish
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing