EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Enclave is either having a problem this winter or the ethanol blend is really taking its toll. I used to get 18 running back and forth to work and 24 on the highway easy, now its 15 and 21...Is this too big a drop for the ethanol? Someone said April 1st it changes back, but I would assume all the gas in the storage tanks has to be used up first, I don't really know how many times a week they fill those....I hope it gets better with the gas prices going up and up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Here's a great article on why mileage dips in the winter:

http://www.startribune.com/cars/11354696.html

One thing it doesn't mention which I've read a few times is that when the air temperature is less than 50F, there is more rolling resistance. So to maintain the same speed, your engine has to compensate.

BTW - Like you said, I believe the changeover to summer blend started on April 1 at the refineries but it takes a few weeks before all of the stations are using it. A few years ago there was an EPA deadline around May 1st where stations could get fined if they were still selling winter blend, but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Not sure either, but I hope it's soon! The MN winter blend, plus other factors, always take a major toll on our gas mileage. We're getting about 15 MPG around town too. Our other car gets 21-22 in the summer, 18-19 in the winter, so I'm hoping for a good boost on the Enclave soon.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The article referenced above doesn't include winter blended fuels. I believe in most areas the 10% ethanol is year round. Is there something else blended into the fuel in winter, anyone?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
johnt26 said:
The article referenced above doesn't include winter blended fuels. I believe in most areas the 10% ethanol is year round. Is there something else blended into the fuel in winter, anyone?
Yes more oxygen!! The oxygenated gas (winter blend) is terrible with the ethanol it seems. My MPG went from 25 highway/16 local to 21 Highway/ 13 local!! can't wait for the change!

PS...............it's done for smog/pollution control by Fed mandate every Oct, I believe.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The saving you get with the blend change is gonna be a pint-o-beer. I like beer. Just don't expect huge savings...

Analogy is the guy/gal who gets the bowl of ice cream (Acadia) and also orders a Diet Coke (blend change). You're not saving anything...

It's not the blend - it's the car...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
PS...............it's done for smog/pollution control by Fed mandate every Oct, I believe.
I heard it was due to make the fuel easier to burn, for cold weather, but at the cost of reduced energy density. No reference, though.

jr7243 said:
Here's a great article on why mileage dips in the winter:

http://www.startribune.com/cars/11354696.html
Humm. If it's just time to warm up, that wouldn't explain why highway fuel mileage is lower in the winter. So there has to be more than that.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Jake_99 said:
The saving you get with the blend change is gonna be a pint-o-beer. I like beer. Just don't expect huge savings...

Analogy is the guy/gal who gets the bowl of ice cream (Acadia) and also orders a Diet Coke (blend change). You're not saving anything...

It's not the blend - it's the car...
Honest Jake_99 , you'll see the difference!! I got mine in July and saw the drop in highway MPG on it starting in Nov. Even with a K&N air filter (sorry Tin Man ;) ) and synthetic oil as a hedge. It's cold weather warm ups too, but Highway mileage goes up. Really! about 2-4MPG in my own experience ;D

good luck! and I'll take that pint of beer, as 2Much Coffee never offered me any of that ;)

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Honest Jake_99 , you'll see the difference!! I got mine in July and saw the drop in highway MPG on it starting in Nov. Even with a K&N air filter (sorry Tin Man ;) ) and synthetic oil as a hedge. It's cold weather warm ups too, but Highway mileage goes up. Really! about 2-4MPG in my own experience ;D
Yep, mine drops every winter, regardless of the car. I don't know if it is the gas or just the cold, but I agree with the 2-3 MPG difference. I think the cold plays a part because when it gets really cold here for a stretch of a week or two (or three) it gets even worse.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Smokin SRX said:

good luck! and I'll take that pint of beer, as 2Much Coffee never offered me any of that ;)
2-4 MPG, with a 22 gallon tank means you save 44-88 miles per tank fill or 9-16%. At ~$60 a fill up...that's about 6-10 bucks....Yeah, it's good for a beer (bar rate) or a sixpack for home...or one starbucks latte....

Yes, drinking diet coke saves calories...but you're better off cutting out the ice cream (aka better MPG vehicle).

My bias is clear...you want better mpg, stop chasing fuel blend - get a different car.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Jake_99 said:
2-4 MPG, with a 22 gallon tank means you save 44-88 miles per tank fill or 9-16%. At ~$60 a fill up...that's about 6-10 bucks....Yeah, it's good for a beer (bar rate) or a sixpack for home...or one starbucks latte....

Yes, drinking diet coke saves calories...but you're better off cutting out the ice cream (aka better MPG vehicle).

My bias is clear...you want better mpg, stop chasing fuel blend - get a different car.
I think you're missing the point. We own the vehicles, we like them, we are not "chasing" the fuel blend. If I can get 2-3 MPG better with summer blended fuel and warmer weather, it is a freebie, and I'll take it. The OP simply wanted to know when the fuel blend switches over.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Strangest thing...been getting around 12.5 mpg on my normal commute, then this week started getting 15 mpg. Same route, same traffic, same driving style. I've had my Enclave since last July and just turned over 4,700 miles on the odometer. Not too worried about the millage, just passing on an observation.

·
Registered
200 Posts
zman said:
I think you're missing the point. We own the vehicles, we like them, we are not "chasing" the fuel blend. If I can get 2-3 MPG better with summer blended fuel and warmer weather, it is a freebie, and I'll take it. The OP simply wanted to know when the fuel blend switches over.
Take it? You make it sound like an option...you get it whether you want it or not...it's a given. If you have no control over choice, "taking it" is a mute position...thus chasing it. You'll catch it when we all do...you can't consider it a savings since you don't have an option to save. Just like gas going down 5 cents. Is it still a mystery why gas prices go up in the summer? Everyone thinks they're saving money so they use more...gas price goes up...you don't save a penny.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
bsox - I'll let you know if my mileage goes back to the old summer numbers once it warms up.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Re: Poor mileage, when does the fuel blend change???

jacko said:
Strangest thing...been getting around 12.5 mpg on my normal commute, then this week started getting 15 mpg. Same route, same traffic, same driving style. I've had my Enclave since last July and just turned over 4,700 miles on the odometer. Not too worried about the millage, just passing on an observation.
Seems like that is the mileage when fuel economy starts to improve. Did you have a recent oil change? The transmission apparently gets better too with its learning program.

As for the comment on getting a different vehicle if worried about the fuel economy, I'm all ears. I'd like to order an 8 passenger luxury non-minivan (wifey doesn't like minivans) that holds about 20 cubic feet of luggage (more would be better) and can tow 4000+ lbs. that gets better fuel economy than the Enclave....... I'm waiting........ 8)

TM

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
jacko said:
Hey jacko ......... mine has now started to RETURN to the mileage I first got when new, last summer! :blob: I'm sure it's the gas changing over to summer blend.......plus that K&N !! hhha!

Hey Jake_99 ............so what's wrong with ice cream and diet soda? makes a good float!! I don't question little gifts anymore ;) Enjoy.

We love our Enclave!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I seem to be coming back. I am getting 17.5-18 running around. Got 24 on the highway over a 40 mile trip the other day. Don't know if it has anything to do with fuel blend or as that article by Paul Brand explained, the warmer weather.

As far as the economics of this and whether it makes enough difference, all I can say it makes me feel a lot better looking down and seeing these numbers than 15-16. I want the thing to get what the EPA said it should and I seem to in the summer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts