EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a 5,000 mile trip out west. Our Enclave performed quite well and lived up to our expectations as a comfortable traveling vehicle. BUT....just before we headed back home I noticed a poping sound when turning the steering wheel. Not sure if poping best decribes it. I asked my wife ...(it is her vehicel) and she agrees there is something there that was not there a month ago. It does not do it constantly, but it is there on most turns. Just so happens my father-in-law has an Enclave and I drove his several times while visiting AND his is very quiet in the turning. In fact there is "nothing" at all resonating from the column when driving his Enclave. Anyone else had this problem? Going in to the dealer this week with it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have this on my Acadia. I wouldn,t call it "popping", but it's a noise. Not overly bothersome, but there. I'd call it more like "knocking" than popping. I don't feel it in the turn, just hear it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had it in my Acadia as well. Dealer diagnosed a mismachined bearing in the steering column. They had to order the part, which came in about a week and a half later. After the fix, the popping noise is gone. Now if I could just get them to replace my brake fluid to eliminate that squeak, I'd be good.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have it too occasionally. I noticed it about 3 days after I bought it. It pops every now and then when I am in close quarters, like parking. I thought it was in the front suspension, but closer inspection reveals that it is the steering column.

I want this repaired before I leave for Georgia on the 17th of May. I'll get it checked tomorow.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE......Dealer found a service bulletin that came out on April 25 about "knocking/clicking noise radiating from steering column". He printed off and showed me the notice---'lower bearing rivots'. The GM notice indicated to --check and tighten...if that didn't solve the noise..... then replace steering column.

So, our dealer has ordered the whole steering column. I spoke with them extensively and they showed me the notice, recommended procedure, picture of column broken down by parts, etc. They ordered it but said it would take a while. Not a safety issue to drive as is....just annoying noise constantly while making low speed turns.

I am concerned that they will be "tearing out the entire steering column" Seems like a radical procedure, and I experessed my concern about them doing what appears to me to be a major removal and fix. Are they...or any dealership capable of doing something like this????

'Leave well enough alone' and drive with it (knocking noise) has crossed my mind. :-\

Anyone else had this problem and if so what did your dealer recommend doing?? :help:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I understand your concern. While todays dealers are highly trained, with a fortune invested in OE type tools, a whole new steering column does sound a little like killing a mosquito with a shotgun. Ask for loach 's remedy and see what they say.
We must remember that dealers are paid by GM for their warranty shop work! **** we all gotta eat! Hmmmm........

·
Registered
232 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
I understand your concern. While todays dealers are highly trained, with a fortune invested in OE type tools, a whole new steering column does sound a little like killing a mosquito with a shotgun. Ask for loach 's remedy and see what they say.
We must remember that dealers are paid by GM for their warranty shop work! **** we all gotta eat! Hmmmm........
They actually did end up replacing my steering column. When I went in the first time and they diagnosed the problem as a mismachined bearing in the steering column, I was under the impression they just ordered the bearing. But when the part came in and they installed it, I noticed on the invoice it said "replaced steering column". It's really not that big a deal - get it fixed.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey thanks for the feedback.....and encouragement. We plan on going with the fix and will have the steering column replaced when it eventually comes in.

The problem with this "quiet" ride vehicle is this "little knocking" we get sounds louder than it really is. I guess I'll turn up the XM until its fixed!! :p

NEVERTHELESS......still LUV OUR CLAVE!!! :happy:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
juglake said:
The problem with this "quiet" ride vehicle is this "little knocking" we get sounds louder than it really is. I guess I'll turn up the XM until its fixed!! :p
That was one of the fears I expressed over a year ago, before we bought ours. I was afraid that the quiet interior would accentuate any rattles and squeaks. Ours has been relatively rattle free, although we now have two I am going to get checked out next time we take it in.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re: Popping noise in steering column ........

Same here.
Yesterday, mine was diagnosed with a bad steering column as well. I am not sure when I will get this repaired.

I am due to leave for Atlanta on the 17th, and though I am sure I'll have no problems, I would still like to have this repaired before hand.

That is the only noise I hear in the car anywhere.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
GSEREP1, I'm glad you changed the spelling in the header.

At first, when he said he heard a "poping" noise, I thought maybe he heard the droning of Latin prayers coming from the steering column. Then, I thought maybe he was hearing "pooping" noises, which I would have very quickly investigated and fixed before the odor got too bad. I finally figured out that he meant "popping" noises...

·
Registered
114 Posts

YES, and thanks. My Enclave started doing that just a few days after I got it. It sounded like the front end, but nothing while going forward. This is first-year growing pains, and something I accept for buying one this year.

That 2009 DFI engine will be great, and it won't be long before the 5.3L V8 comes. I hope the 5.3 doesn't burn too much fuel. We seriously want another one in a year or so. I think the newer V6 will be all I'll need. Gasoline prices in a couple of years will ultimately decide which route I'll take. All the 2008's will take a hit on value when the newer ones come out, but what else is new?

I bought a complete set of shop manuals from HELM last night for $167.00 complete because I want to do much of my own work on this.

·
Registered
314 Posts
That 2009 DFI engine will be great, and it won't be long before the 5.3L V8 comes.
The once-planned Lambda V8 is history. The forthcoming DI/VVT V6 is all that's to be offered for 2009, but down the road there is scheduled to be a new-platform Lambda that quite possibly will offer diesel and/or advanced-tech alternatives.

·
Registered
114 Posts

I hope that is true. While I was at the dealership on Friday, a few salespeople and service people still believe that we will see a 5.3L V8 between now and 2010. I doubt it, since the diesel engine is probably coming.

With the gasoline prices still uncertain for the foreseeable future, It is hard to speculate on an engine that burns more fuel than what we have now. I'd vote against it.

·
Registered
644 Posts
rockyp said:
GSEREP1, I'm glad you changed the spelling in the header.

At first, when he said he heard a "poping" noise, I thought maybe he heard the droning of Latin prayers coming from the steering column. Then, I thought maybe he was hearing "pooping" noises, which I would have very quickly investigated and fixed before the odor got too bad. I finally figured out that he meant "popping" noises...
I'm with you rockyp. Every time I have seen the thread I've wanted to say the pop(e)ing noises should have stopped a couple of weeks ago when he got back to Rome.

BB

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re:knocking noise in steering column ........

Had the 'Clave in to the dealer last Wednesday. They replaced the steering column and so far....so good. It took about a 1/2 day to do the work.

Wife reports her car is "just fine". NO noise at all. Problem seems to be taken care of. Hope this is the only "concern" we will have with the Enclave. Still love driven it and really love the "compliments we get". :happy:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I went in to get my steering column replaced yesterday. After the old one was removed, they discovered that the new part was assembled incorrectly at the factory and would not fit. The bearing was pressed in and riveted so the technicians could not change anything around. The problem was in the yoke that connects between the steering shaft and to the steering gearbox below the firewall. It was mounted 180 degrees off, and the splines would not matchup with the front wheels and steering wheel centered. The service advisor came to me and gave me the bad news in the waiting room.

They reassembled the old column, and LO AND BEHOLD, for some reason it worked properly. No click or noise anywhere. In addition, the steering wheel now sets higher above the dash. I can see the guages without looking over or under the steering wheel.

I am at a total loss as to how or why it all works now, but I am happy about how it came out.

The dealership is returning the defective part, (perhaps a one in a million fluke, or part of a batch of units assembled incorrectly), but we will see when the new part comes in.

This old column may work fine for awhile and then crap out again, so I guess it should be changed. Who knows?

I found out that this manual steering column was a $600.00 item. God only knows how expensive the electric motorized column is.

Could some of this problem be just the way the column is installed at the factory? I don't know if humans do this, or is part of a computer assembly coming down the line.

For now, I am very happy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to hear that "wait4me". I noticed mine just after I bought it and thought it was the lower suspension. The column is noise free right now. The only thing creaking now is my old bones getting in and out.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
GSEREP1 said:
Sorry to hear that "wait4me". I noticed mine just after I bought it and thought it was the lower suspension. The column is noise free right now. The only thing creaking now is my old bones getting in and out.
LOL........all's well that ends well. Leave it alone till it "sings" again! Glad it worked out.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts