EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who wishes the power folding mirrors would automatically "unfold" upon putting the car in gear? I have felt like a dork more than once when, after getting down the road several miles, realizing I forgot to "open the mirrors" :tard: I guess I would fail the drivers test right off the bat if I had to take it now for not "checking all mirrors before putting car in gear". But I am so spoiled to just looking rearward with the camera not the mirrors. I also wish you could program the mirrors to automatically close after turning the key off and then open back when starting car or putting it in gear as mentioned above.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I agree. It would be nice if they could be set to fold when put in park and unfold in Drive. My wife uses that feature all the time. Parking lots, garage, etc. Not really a big deal but it would be nice. Knowing my luck, they would set it to unfold in reverse and I would chop off the driver's side backing out of the garage :eek:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Could not agree more! I don't care where I am, I want them to fold in when I am in park.
It would also be good for them to unfold when the car goes into drive and not when started. I want to get out of the horse barn first and then once I am in forward to be able to have the mirror in place. Good Point!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Mons' Clave said:
It would also be good for them to unfold when the car goes into drive and not when started. I want to get out of the horse barn first and then once I am in forward to be able to have the mirror in place. Good Point!
Unless of course you backed in.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm thankful for getting remote manual fold/unfold - many times I drive out of a lot and discover the passenger mirror has been folded, and I can't do anything about it without pulling over.

The logic of auto fold/unfold would be tricky. I want to fold the mirrors before I enter my garage, and unfold them when I drive away. Perhaps, in my case, they should be tied to the Universal garage door opener? Its hard to think of a rule that would always do the "right" thing.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It they were to do everything you folks wanted you would be setting preferences in the DIC and they would also need to be tied into the memory controls because driver "2" probably would want them to operate different from driver "1" and so on.
Sometimes simple is better. Push the button to pull them in and again to move them out. Works for me. Just MHO of course.

·
Registered
379 Posts
They could always do like Lexus does with the LS series. You can have them on automatic which will fold them in when you turn the car off or you can control them manually.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I realize this is an old topic but I recently bought a 2014 Enclave and wondering if there is any automatic control of the power folding mirrors beside the switch on the door panels. Not sure if you can program the Enclave to fold the mirrors in Park, unfold in Drive or just use the door switch to fold the mirrors. Living in the city we fold the mirrors often in tight garages and city streets.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have noticed that other car companies have this feature.. (Kia, Lexus, and others). It would be nice but in our old garage we would have to fold the mirrors when pulling in just to give extra room for both the Enclave and my old Escalade. As long as you could still operate them manually as well it would be great.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
:welcome: to the forum (again I think), RockVegasKid!

I don't believe that we can program the mirrors to fold in or out with the position of the gear selector. If it were able to do that, the DIC would have a menu option for it. But at the same time, why would anyone want them to do that IF you were pulling into a narrow garage, we have to use the manual switch anyways because the gear selector is in D and the mirrors are folded outward.. ??? :tearhair:

·
Registered
8 Posts
cfedor said:
But at the same time, why would anyone want them to do that IF you were pulling into a narrow garage, we have to use the manual switch anyways because the gear selector is in D and the mirrors are folded outward.. ??? :tearhair:
I see your point; it still wouldn't be a bad thing for programming to enable the mirrors to fold in when putting the vehicle in Park or taking the key out...

Thanks for the input, the door switch will get us by because at least we have the ability to fold the mirrors in now... :thumb:

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
RockVegasKid said:
I see your point; it still wouldn't be a bad thing for programming to enable the mirrors to fold in when putting the vehicle in Park or taking the key out...

Thanks for the input, the door switch will get us by because at least we have the ability to fold the mirrors in now... :thumb:
:ditto: :thumb: Congrats on that 2014! I am looking hard for one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am actually glad that they are not automated as they would wear out more quickly. I have had both of them fail (not at the same time) on my 2007 Acadia and I probably haven't used them more than a couple times per month. Mine rarely makes it into the garage. I had extended warranty coverage, but I'm told the mechanisms are not replaceable. In both cases some sort of gear was stripped and it made a ratcheting noise with little motion. They had to replace the entire mirror assembly and then send the new ones to the body shop for paint. When the dust settled, I believe it was well over $400 on each of the warranty claims that went back to GMPP.

·
Registered
484 Posts
cfedor: I went from a 2008 to a 2014. There is quite a difference (positive) It seems as though there is more power in the 2014. The transmission is smoother, also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
They had to replace the entire mirror assembly and then send the new ones to the body shop for paint.
While it won't help you now, one Lambda forum member bought used mirrors and swapped the parts into his old mirror housings thus saving the paint shop costs. I recall another saying he was able to find a source for a new motor and installed it himself. Of course the dealer is not going to go to that much trouble to save you a few bucks.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
htrdgrma said:
cfedor: I went from a 2008 to a 2014. There is quite a difference (positive) It seems as though there is more power in the 2014. The transmission is smoother, also.
I had a 2015 Premium AWD as a dealer loaner :eek: Man, was I in love.... Just too $Pricey$ for my wallet. I know what you mean about the transmission smoothness.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
GerryL said:
I am actually glad that they are not automated as they would wear out more quickly. I have had both of them fail (not at the same time) on my 2007 Acadia and I probably haven't used them more than a couple times per month. Mine rarely makes it into the garage. I had extended warranty coverage, but I'm told the mechanisms are not replaceable. In both cases some sort of gear was stripped and it made a ratcheting noise with little motion. They had to replace the entire mirror assembly and then send the new ones to the body shop for paint. When the dust settled, I believe it was well over $400 on each of the warranty claims that went back to GMPP.
I was fearful a couple months ago that my passengerside mirror had failed. Wouldn't fold out. I use mine 2 x's a day since the "Cherry-Ot" is parked in the garage overnight. Then, it just started working again, haven't had an issue with it..(knock on wood).

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I don't have this feature, so I can't comment on the idiosyncrasies of the mirror. But, I can say that I'm a bit envious.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I guess it's just one of those things, grass is greener etc. Have never used it in the BMW, I don't want the mirrors folding and unfolding, I would rather have someone clip my mirror than door. Our Enclave does not have it as it is a CXL1. In my driving career, I was only once in front of the general Post Office and some work type van clipped the mirror of the 1998 NIssan, causing it to do a reverse fold. Because it was designed as such, there was no damage, just a scrape on the end of the mirror.

If I got one of those used Lexus I would want the massaging seats in the rear. Problem is that is indicative of the ultra luxury package, and that has the air suspension which could add up to repairs (many air suspension cars seem to default to looking like Subaru Outbacks if a sensor goes bad--jacked up, Lincoln seems to collapse). Usually, seriously, we can't get what we want in life. This is one of them where I'm ok with it.

edit: It's amazing that used car dealers and carmax etc. have the vehicles that I am talking about for 9-17k (sometimes a pristine one with 50-60k miles driven by an elderly person shows up at a NCD and is asking 21k), and these were 100% reliable (I've checked on forums). But we'd rather have newer unreliable cars as they have more gizmos! :angel:

·
Registered
46 Posts
cfedor said:
I had a 2015 Premium AWD as a dealer loaner :eek: Man, was I in love.... Just too $Pricey$ for my wallet. I know what you mean about the transmission smoothness.
I agree, our 2013 Enclave is much smoother than the 2008 it replaced. Completely different feel and ride quality to it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts