EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a quick stop at the local store yesterday, when I came out, I found the rear liftgate wide open!!! First I thought it was some kind of break in, but then noticed that everything was intact. Don't know how did it open by itself, the only thing comes to my mind is that the remote button to open the rear liftgate was pressed while the fob was in my pocket.

Is there a way to change it from one click open to a two click, kind of how the remote start works, first press lock then remote start button. Similarly if there is a way to program it so you have to press unlock first then liftgate button to open it?

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Re: Remote rear liftgate button

This what I have experienced:
1) I closed the liftgate and walked away, but there was something in the way (a blanket) and it automatically re-opened.
2) The liftgate will NOT open with just a slight push on the keyfob button. You have to hold it in for a second or two make it operate.
I hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

MRBUICK said:
This what I have experienced:
1) I closed the liftgate and walked away, but there was something in the way (a blanket) and it automatically re-opened.
2) The liftgate will NOT open with just a slight push on the keyfob button. You have to hold it in for a second or two make it operate.
I hope that helps.
Thanks, but I know that.

When the fob is in my pocket along with change, keys etc, in a tight jeans it could be pressed for a couple of seconds easily.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

Try what I do. If I'm anywhere near the Enclave (a house party, small store, dealer, etc) I've gotten used to turning OFF the dash, control switch, for the hatch. Now it can't open by remote till I return and flip it ON again.

I started doing this after backing into a spot, a little too close to a parking lite pole. (I simply, carelessly, misjudged it, as I was only running in for newspaper!) When I came out I somehow grabbed the remote the wrong way and there goes the hatch!! Thankfully, I remembered a SECOND push, reverses the opening! On the rare occasion that I do need to get it open, but didn't plan for it.......... I do it the old fashioned way!

Nothing's perfect, but this works for me! ;D

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts

coop said:
Thanks, but I know that.

When the fob is in my pocket along with change, keys etc, in a tight jeans it could be pressed for a couple of seconds easily.
maybe your pants are too tight..... ;D

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

MRBUICK said:
maybe your pants are too tight..... ;D
Thats what I said :thumb:

You can't simply take anything against the Enclave ;D

·
Registered
249 Posts

Is it possible that you may have pressed the button on the console when you put it on Park? I'm sure if you did you would have noticed the liftgate opening up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Power Liftgate

Okay, I have been so happy not to have any problems with my new Enclave. I have been driving it for 9 months now -- bug free. Until today.

Anyone else have their power liftgate not operate? When I press the key fob, it makes a noise as if it is unlatching, but then dings and never opens. I have to manually open it. And, on top of it, the power button (which is on the inside of the liftgate itself), will not work at all.

Any insight from fellow Enclave owners?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Re: Power Liftgate

Ken, could a fuse be bad? I haven't had that issue but I do have the intermittent re-opening after hitting the close button when nothing is in the trunk that could be sticking out.

·
Registered
432 Posts

kenclave said:
... When I press the key fob, it makes a noise as if it is unlatching, but then dings and never opens. I have to manually open it. And, on top of it, the power button (which is on the inside of the liftgate itself), will not work at all.Thanks for your help!
Check the liftgate lock switch below the inside open button. What you describe sounds like the experience I had when I was outside and used the fob button to open the gate when the inside lock was set. I almost always keep the lock switch set and have to remember to unlock when expecting to need the liftgate. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts

Newbie here..

Has happened to me and the cause been as stated above. Occasionally---when closing it pops back up too? Seems I have to hold my finger on the fob for a few seconds..anyone else? ???

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

KarenL said:
Newbie here..

Has happened to me and the cause been as stated above. Occasionally---when closing it pops back up too? Seems I have to hold my finger on the fob for a few seconds..anyone else? ???
Hi KarenL . Welcome! Yes, the dash off switch is a common gremlin as the other posters mention. The hatch has a "load sensor" that detects a mild obstruction/interference PLUS 2 touch sensor strips on upper sides of hatch door, in rubber strips, too. That's because an arm that might be caught on the side may not offer enough resistance to reverse the hatch in time to avoid injury. Just pressing these side strips will reverse the movement. They are in vicinity of support arms on both sides.
Check them out for tears or whatever :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts

Mine was doing this also. I could hear the motor working, but there was no movement from the lift-gate. After looking at it, I found that the strut arm had come off the ball joint on the mechanical arm that lifts and lowers the strut, thus raising and lowering your lift-gate when you press the button. I was able to open the back panel, where the jack is at, and pop the strut arm back on. The little clip that holds the strut arm onto the ball joint had popped off for some reason and once I put it back on, I have not had a problem since.
If you open your lift gate and grab the strut, see if you can move it forward or back. If it moves at all, it has disconnected from the mechanical arm. If it is disconnected, the only way to get it back on is to work from the inside with the lift-gate closed. You will be able to put the strut back on the ball and slide the clip on it. My clip was laying inside the jack compartment.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I love this site. Thanks to everyone's expertise, I found that I was the problem. As someone mentioned, I had inadvertantly flipped the switch to lock the liftgate (heck, I didn't even know there was a switch to do that). Actually, I think my husband flipped it, because certainly I wouldn't have done that. :D

Thanks for everyone's help.

My Enclave is 10 months old and still bug free (the driver, apparently, is not)!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

kenclave said:
I love this site. Thanks to everyone's expertise, I found that I was the problem. As someone mentioned, I had inadvertantly flipped the switch to lock the liftgate (heck, I didn't even know there was a switch to do that). Actually, I think my husband flipped it, because certainly I wouldn't have done that. :D

Thanks for everyone's help.

My Enclave is 10 months old and still bug free (the driver, apparently, is not)!
This IS a great forum and has helped so many. Say, did the driver come with a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty??? With free roadside assistance during that term?? Me neither! But we're in good company, as most Imports DON'T either. Even Toyota :thumb: ;D :eyebrow:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm sure this has probably been discussed somewhere here before....I know I'm not the only one....but I just can't seem to find the thread so I'll just put it out there. Ever since Day One, I've had trouble with the power liftgate. No trouble opening it at all....but when we use the remote or the power switch on the door itself to close it, more often than not the door will close, try to latch, and then re-open itself. Sometimes it will work just right, most times it won't! I'm not sure if it's something we're doing (ie: Are we standing too close to the sensors? Is something blocking the door from closing properly?? What, exactly, is the problem??) or if I've got a problem that needs the service department to intervene. I've had it act up when there is NOTHING in the rear cargo area. I've had it work great when the back is loaded up! I just don't get it! Where are the sensors on this thing and how do I know when they are blocked or whatever?? Of course, it acts up at the worst times in the most public places...like in the Wal-Mart parking lot or at the Car Wash when the attendant tries to close it...over and over and over again. Embarrassing??? Yeah! I'm to the point where I've lost complete confidence in the thing. I open it with the remote, close it by hand now. Any help or insight you guys can give will be greatly appreciated. I'm still new to the car...so it could just be something we're doing wrong. I hope so...I don't look forward to service dept visits at all! Thanks, guys and gals!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
had the same problem as you speak of....the service dept took a rubber mallet and banged the latch back a tad further and has worked correctly ever since....you need to get it in to the service dept....

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Like Papopo said, others have had similar issues, his was corrected with the dreaded mallet, I remember another saying some adjustment needed to be made in a strut.

There has been no repetitive issue with it, i.e. took it to the dealer 4 times for it. Everyone seemed to get it done with one trip.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks guys...you always have the answers. I'll get it adjusted when I have the new romote installed. Sounds like a long, hot day in the waiting room! I'll bring a book! *haha*

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Follow the advise above and you'll be smiling again!

The sensors you inquire are in the door latch and along the sides of the hatch, (black strips) to detect an errant appendage there, as well. They must error on side of caution with these power goodies, for obvious reasons.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts