EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

Power Liftgate Software recall

117K views 87 replies 21 participants last post by  electbc 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anyone else has seen the latest Enclave recall. I happened to be on the Buick Owner Center had noticed that I had a new notification. Lo and behold, there was another recall.... Guess the letter will be in the mail soon.

GM Recall #: N150240
NHTSA Recall #: Awaiting#
Date Issued: Jun 23, 2015

Recall Title: Power Liftgate Software

Recall Description:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2008-2015 model year Buick Enclave, 2009-2015 model year Chevrolet Traverse, 2007-2015 model year GMC Acadia, and 2007-2010 model year Saturn Outlook vehicles with the power liftgate option. Vehicles with a power liftgate have a Prop Rod Recovery system intended to stop the liftgate from falling if the liftgate’ s gas struts are incapable of supporting the door. However, in vehicles with weakened gas struts, the liftgate may operate in an unexpected manner while in the Prop Rod Recovery mode, including falling rapidly and without warning.

Safety Risk Description:

If this condition occurs, it may introduce the opportunity for injury due to contact of the liftgate door with a person’s head/body.

Repair Description:

Dealers will reflash the power liftgate actuator motor ECU a new software calibration intended to mitigate the condition, free of charge. Additionally, dealers applying the reflash remedy to a vehicle will verify power liftgate operation following the reflash to determine whether its liftgate gas struts need to be replaced as well.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. REMEDY NOT YET AVAILABLE

See less See more
#2 ·
This "opportunity for injury due to contact of the liftgate door with a person’s head/body" was one I experienced 4 years ago. Like ravenh6, we have a 2008 and the liftgate was manually pulled down by someone unloading stuff and bent the prop rod. Both struts were weakened and the door hit me in the shoulder. No personal injury to speak of, but got it to the service team right after it happened and they put in new parts under original warranty. Ever since, I have made sure that no one tries to close the door except by using the activator button. :thumb: 2Much

#5 ·
BONK! Had the gas struts go out one time. Replaced them with genuine AC DELCO replacement I got off of eBay for $50.00 or so. Haven't had any issues since. I agree that the liftgate is a pretty heavy component that the motor has to work pretty hard to open and close. Without a good set of struts, that motor may burn up struggling to open it.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Ref: my 2008 Enclave. Received IMORTANT SAFETY RECALL #15240 notice regarding the rear lift gate/struts. Situation described is one where the gas struts loose their ability to hold the lift gate up properly, and the "Prop Rod Recovery System" that is supposed to prevent the lift gate closing in an uncontrolled manner may not work sometimes allowing the lift gate to slam shut with possible injuries.

The recall calls for reprogramming the power lift gate actuator motor ECU with new software calibration intended to mitigate the condition. It then goes on to say that "Parts to repair your vehicle are not currently available" and that they will send another letter out updating the situation when parts are available. G A S P !!!!!

I noticed that my lift gate would not open all the way, so just went ahead and replaced the two gas struts. Cost about $50 and easy to do. Normal wear and tear for an 8 year old vehicle I suspect. All gas struts of this nature last just so long and need replacement. The one holding up the hood is probably next.

The recall notice also says "if you have already paid for repairs for this condition, a reimbursement request form will be included with the next letter". So sounds like they intend to pay for the struts!

#8 ·
ENCLAVEDUDE said:
Ref: my 2008 Enclave. Received IMORTANT SAFETY RECALL #15240 notice regarding the rear lift gate/struts. Situation described is one where the gas struts loose their ability to hold the lift gate up properly, and the "Prop Rod Recovery System" that is supposed to prevent the lift gate closing in an uncontrolled manner may not work sometimes allowing the lift gate to slam shut with possible injuries.

The recall calls for reprogramming the power lift gate actuator motor ECU with new software calibration intended to mitigate the condition. It then goes on to say that "Parts to repair your vehicle are not currently available" and that they will send another letter out updating the situation when parts are available. G A S P !!!!!

I noticed that my lift gate would not open all the way, so just went ahead and replaced the two gas struts. Cost about $50 and easy to do. Normal wear and tear for an 8 year old vehicle I suspect. All gas struts of this nature last just so long and need replacement. The one holding up the hood is probably next.

The recall notice also says "if you have already paid for repairs for this condition, a reimbursement request form will be included with the next letter". So sounds like they intend to pay for the struts!
From what my dealer told me this is a software issue not a strut issue. You are unlikely to get money back. The wear of the struts would be consider normal wear and tear.

#9 ·
GOSTATE - I assume you mean North Carolina State!!!!

I agree with you on normal wear and tear, and that they probably won't pay for new struts. But suspect if car brought into dealer for this recall and the struts are weak (high potential for these 08's) - they might insist on replacing them at owners cost. Big bucks there! Plus they claim the delay in the next final notice is due to lack of parts. If it's only a software fix ----- what parts??? So who knows what the deal is until the next letter!

#10 ·
One can find those struts on ebay for $50-60.00 total. They are a snap to change out. I did mine a year ago.

#11 ·
Is this a new recall? I recently got a notice about my (now gone) 2012 Acadia lift gate recall. It had been in once for replacement, needed a 3rd set but it was traded in before it came to me paying OOP.

We bought our Enclave on June 5th, 2015. I noticed the struts do sound similar to my Acadia's before the replacement. Lots of popping and what not. I thought I was imagining things, maybe I'm not??

#12 ·
I called my dealership a few minutes ago concerning the airbag issue I experienced the last 2 weeks. Steven searched through the records to see what recalls had been performed on the Enclave. Airbag recall had been performed, but that was for the sensor beneath the drivers seat.

AND, back to this thread.....he said they cannot perform the power lift-gate software upgrade BECAUSE they have not received the information required.

:eek:hno:

#13 ·
Since the liftgate recall involves reprogramming the unit, it would seem that GM hasn't figured out how to accomplish this yet. No parts are needed in this recall service, as far as I know.

#14 ·
Just took my 2011 to the dealer and they said no remedy exists at this time, and didn't do any software flashmods. They only deactivated the automatic liftgate function, so now I'm all manual.

#15 ·
There is a remedy....a software update for the lift gate. BUT, according to my "source" the update will only stop it from opening automatically and will stop the actuator motor control unit from operating. No permanent fix is available yet, as noted in other posts.

GM has had to replace a lot of struts on the lift gates so they are hoping to have the software upgrade soon, or at least, sooner than what has happened at this point.

He just checked what updates were available this morning. I am still on his list to be called when any recall updates are available.

GM will notify owners, and dealers will update the software for the power lift gate actuator motor control unit so that the motor will prevent the rapid closing of the lift gate, free of charge.

#17 ·
jkanderson7 said:
Just took my 2011 to the dealer and they said no remedy exists at this time, and didn't do any software flashmods. They only deactivated the automatic liftgate function, so now I'm all manual.
They lied to you.

#18 ·
cfedor said:
They lied to you.
Never. GM doesn't do that, it's against corporate policy. :confused:

Reminds me of my BMW, a very rare German engineering fail. My car has seatbelt valets which hand the seatbelt to the occupant. Eventually, they no longer work, come out too far, not enough, get stuck out (they are supposed to retract and disappear). One time I got so angry I ripped the passenger arm right out of the socket, and said F it, I'll just buy a new one and replace it (was out of B2B). Went online and the discounted price was $390. Needless to say, I figured out how to fix that bad-boy myself and put it back in.

Flash back to when the car was in the B2B--the dealer said the mfg fix was software. Guess what? Software doesn't overcome physics. I said c'mon fellas, you know that doesn't work, can't you just replace the arm? They said sure. Look at the invoice, it was not warranty, but internal.

How about recalibrating by replacing the failed part....

#20 ·
tex1940 said:
The dealer finally took care of the recall when I took Enclave in the other days for service. No new struts needed.
I'm going to guess that GM's approach to this recall will be to quietly provide the service whenever someone brings the car in for routine maintenance. It keeps the situation neat, tidy, and essentially under-the-radar and out-of-mind of customer. For those who don't have routine maintenance at the dealer, the letters that the "parts are now available" will likely go out soon. ;)

#21 ·
I posted this in the other threads about this recall, but trust me GM will NOT be replacing struts as part of this recall. The dealership will check the struts but the fix for the recall is only a software change to make the liftgate close slowly if the struts do fail.

#22 ·
sklunk said:
I posted this in the other threads about this recall, but trust me GM will NOT be replacing struts as part of this recall. The dealership will check the struts but the fix for the recall is only a software change to make the liftgate close slowly if the struts do fail.
Got my "parts available" letter this week.

The letter says:
...Additionally, after reprogramming your vehicle, your dealer will verify power lift gate operation. If this functionality check reveals that the reprogramming was ineffective because one or both gas struts are no longer capable of supporting the weight of the lift gate, your dealer will replace both struts. This service will be performed for you at no charge... (emphasis in the letter).

#24 ·
Well apparently I was wrong. We just got our 2nd recall letter and it states that dealers will replace the struts if they are failing. That is different than what all the previous letters said. Good job GM!

Of course, we just traded the Enclave so I hope the new owners get the recall performed ...

#25 ·
I'm sitting at the dealer right now. They did the software last week, but had to order the struts.
Why couldn't GM send a couple out before hand?
Had to spend an extra couple of hours getting this done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.