EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 E out of warranty, so wanting to know what I should check. It worked fine up until I tried to open it today. I have an aftermarket pushbutton that can open the liftgate as well, so it makes the sound to open it but doesn't do anything. It was working on the 13th, last time I tried it. I can unlock the car and push the button on the liftgate and I have to manually open it, it will not do it automatically.

Where should I start?

X

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Been there - done that... :facepalm:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had the same problem on my 08 Clave. Turned out to be the latching Mechanism. Had it replaced under extended warranty
no charge to me.
Hope your problem tuns out to be the switch "off" in the Cabin. I looked at the repair Work Order and it would have cost
over $300 without the extended warranty!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, the power lift gate on the 2009 I just bought doesn't seem to work from the buttons on the lift gate itself. It seemed like they worked at the dealership when I was picking the car up on Monday. The power lift gate does work from the key fob and from the button up front on the console.

The button on the front console is NOT set to the "Off" position, so that should not be the cause. I wonder if there is some other setting that would disable the controls that are on the lift gate. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
448 Posts
mtrot said:
Yeah, the power lift gate on the 2009 I just bought doesn't seem to work from the buttons on the lift gate itself. It seemed like they worked at the dealership when I was picking the car up on Monday. The power lift gate does work from the key fob and from the button up front on the console.

The button on the front console is NOT set to the "Off" position, so that should not be the cause. I wonder if there is some other setting that would disable the controls that are on the lift gate. Anybody have any ideas?
Do a search, the button in the hatch failed on a few. On my 09 I replaced it myself. The part was under $25, it prys out, I clipped the wire and soldered it together was done in a half hour. I would carefully pry out the old one, mine was corroded right where the wire enters the switch and the wire came off there. Not fixable and it is really a cheap quality switch. Not sure if the poor quality was because GM was on the balls of their butt then or just because this is business as usual.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Good to know for future reference if I need it. Hopefully I won't.......

·
Registered
170 Posts
silvervettes said:
Do a search, the button in the hatch failed on a few. On my 09 I replaced it myself. The part was under $25, it prys out, I clipped the wire and soldered it together was done in a half hour. I would carefully pry out the old one, mine was corroded right where the wire enters the switch and the wire came off there. Not fixable and it is really a cheap quality switch. Not sure if the poor quality was because GM was on the balls of their butt then or just because this is business as usual.
Thanks for the info! I am going to take it back by the dealer I bought it from and get them to look at it and see if they will replace that switch. I think they might do that for me if it is $25 and fairly easy to do.

·
Registered
170 Posts
mtrot said:
Thanks for the info! I am going to take it back by the dealer I bought it from and get them to look at it and see if they will replace that switch. I think they might do that for me if it is $25 and fairly easy to do.
Dang, now the power lift gate seems to work sometimes, and sometimes not. Maybe we just don't really know how to properly operate it yet. I can't seem to figure it out.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I would bet that if the only switch that is not behaving properly is the one on the liftgate, then there's probably a pending liftgate switch failure.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
mtrot said:

Hello mtrot,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing a vehicle issue regarding the power liftgate that seemed to be working as designed to at the dealership. Please let us know if we may be of any assistance.

Best regards,

Jennifer T. (Assisting Jessica)
Buick Customer Care

·
Registered
170 Posts
Buick Customer Service said:
Hello mtrot,

I am sorry to learn that you are experiencing a vehicle issue regarding the power liftgate that seemed to be working as designed to at the dealership. Please let us know if we may be of any assistance.

Best regards,

Jennifer T. (Assisting Jessica)
Buick Customer Care
Thank you Jennifer. I am not sure I and my wife fully understand the operation of the switches on the lift gate. I will bring the car back to the dealer and see how they explain it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
mtrot said:
Thank you Jennifer. I am not sure I and my wife fully understand the operation of the switches on the lift gate. I will bring the car back to the dealer and see how they explain it.
The biggest thing the Key Fob and underside door button is that you need to press and hold it for about 1s before it actually engages. It's meant to avoid actuating on an accidental bump which is possible on both the Key Fob and the underside button (i.e. putting trying to put a large object inside and accidentally hitting it.)

My wife has had problems with mine when she borrows the E. Then comes home and tells me the Key Fob and button are not working and she had to pull down on the door and then it started and closed on it's own after that.

Press - Hold - Wait till it starts closing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
TAZ427 said:
The biggest thing the Key Fob and underside door button is that you need to press and hold it for about 1s before it actually engages. It's meant to avoid actuating on an accidental bump which is possible on both the Key Fob and the underside button (i.e. putting trying to put a large object inside and accidentally hitting it.)

My wife has had problems with mine when she borrows the E. Then comes home and tells me the Key Fob and button are not working and she had to pull down on the door and then it started and closed on it's own after that.

Press - Hold - Wait till it starts closing.
Yes, I understand that you have to press and hold the button on the lift gate. It still does not work all the time.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
mtrot said:
Yes, I understand that you have to press and hold the button on the lift gate. It still does not work all the time.
Sounds to me like 1.) a bad wire or connector on the switch, 2.) just a bad switch with bad contacts inside it, or 3.) Just plainly worn out and needs replaced. Keep us posted as to what the dealer finds out.

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
cfedor said:
Sounds to me like 1.) a bad wire or connector on the switch, 2.) just a bad switch with bad contacts inside it, or 3.) Just plainly worn out and needs replaced. Keep us posted as to what the dealer finds out.
I am voting for choice #2, which eventually will lead to #3. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts