EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were experiencing a very frustrating problem with our new enclave that we purchased on Dec. 30. After parking our Buick and locking the doors, we would hear our Enclave's alarm system go off about 5-10 minutes later. The alarm would sound for about a minute and then shut off on its own. The first few times it happened I thought maybe I bumped the red alarm button when my keys were in my pocket, but after it occured 4 times we took it in to the dealer. During these same few days our display would intermittantly read Hood Open when of course the hood was closed (but not always at the same time that we were having the alarm issues). Our display would also read Theft Attempted after the alarm would sound when we knew nobody was anywhere near our enclave. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong and we brought it back home. Over the past week the alarm continued to go off at least twice a day. This was starting to get a little embarrasing!! Especially at work! I started to realize it had something to do with the Key FOB because I would occasionally have trouble getting the doors to lock or the liftgate to open when I used the Key Fob. Every time I had difficulty approx. 5-10 minutes later the alarm would go off. So the dealer picked up our enclave again today and thank goodness found a TSB on it that said there was an engineering problem between the Key Fob and our car. They had to reprogram both of our Keys and we are keeping our fingers crossed that the alarm stays OFF!!! The hood open alert was all tied into the trouble as well. Just wanted to let you all know in case someone else was experiencing this....this forum has been so helpful to us! :) I'll keep you updated whether we are alarm free.....!

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Wow, a TSB. I would have thought that someone here would have experienced it already. If that does not fix it, take it to the dealer, park it in a service bay and leave it. Once they deal with the alarm going off I'm sure that will motivate them to fix it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...that's exactly what we will do! Our service dept said it was a TSB on Dec. 27 and they missed it the first time we had it in ...he said that the Acadia's and Outlook's are experiencing it as well. We are to call him on Monday and let him know how it's behaved over the weekend!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I used to be an auto alarm installer in my younger years and it seems that the HOOD switch is not sensing the hood's closure properly, and then thinking it's being opened. That would explain EVERY situation you described, with doors not looking, etc, including the alarms correct response with the horn blowing and shutting off after a minute. We called it a "swinger" or "hair trigger" switch.

If the re-programming doesn't fix it, demand they double check that hood switch! I believe the TSB you mentioned is for a different ailment, EG...... (remote not communicating with vehicle, as in very limited range) Just my gut.:thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I hope you're right Smokin SRX because the Hood Open alert came on again today as I was driving and I didn't hear the alarm because we were in the store, but when I went to get back in and pressed the unlock key, the lights and horn beeped 3 quick times which I've come to learn means the alarm was activated. Sure enough, when I got in, it said "Theft Attempted" They checked the hood switch the first time I took it in and couldn't find any problem. The service dept is closed until Monday...I will be sure to have them recheck. This is driving me crazy! ??? Would it also cause the liftgate to not be working at times? The alarm has gone off several times without the Hood Open alert coming on first....do you still think it would be due to the switch? The TSB does have to do with the remote not communicating and causing the vehicle to do erratic things according to the service mgr., but it obviously wasn't our problem. Thanks for any advice!!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Wow. A tough one for sure. If I was trouble-shooting it, I'd temporarily disconnect (and might have to jump-out) the hood switch wire! It could even be a slightly pinched wire that contacts metal only when it gets cold ! Be patient a little longer w/dealer and they will find it.

What if you lock the Enclave and firmly, but carefully, pull up on the hood?? No way it should trigger alarm until hood moves about 1/2 inch, or more! (which it can't if closed) Mine doesn't even trigger until the hood release is pulled inside, and THEN the hood raised another 1/2" from on outside. (open drivers window, arm system and try)Any less and that may be the problem?? Try it. Also, this alarm uses a switch that's built into the lower hood latch, itself. You can see/feel the wire loom (casing) going up to it from below. Take a good hard look with a bright flashlite. Pull on it (a little). Maybe the switch plug is lose?? Best clue we have so far.

As for the rear hatch, yes, there's some kind of interaction between rear hatch and doors/hood/key. Others here have reported. Best I can explain is, it seems if too many consecutive opens/closes/locks/unlocks/alarms, of doors/hood take place, a logic chip tells the hatch that there is a "safety" or theft issue (children playing?) and not to work until key is cycled ON/Off again. Happened to me once and I can't seem to duplicate. I thought the rear hatch, rubber pad-switch had gone bad. Don't beleive this is related directly, to your false alarms.
IMO ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We just tried everything you suggested...the alarm does NOT go off if we try to just pull up on the hood. If we open the window, set the alarm, pop the hood and just slightly lift the hood the alarm did go off like it should. It didn't go off until we actually lifted the hood slightly. The wire to the switch seems to be tight. We also tried to determine what we had to do to get our car to say Hood Open....just trying to lift it didn't work. We had to pop the hood and then lift it slightly. Then it registered 'Hood Open'.

Twice when we drove it yesterday and once today the Open Hood light came on after just a minute or so of driving. Each time the alarm went off after it was parked for a few minutes. Once today nothing happened so it still isn't occurring every time. Interestingly, we didn't have any problems that we could tell with the Key FOB this weekend, so it may not have had anything to do with that.

The service dept has been great to deal with so far and we are patient, so I'm sure this will get resolved. I still love my enclave!! I guess this is it's way of making sure EVERYONE sees AND hears it!!!!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Love your outlook :cheers: Good detective work. Sounds more and more like a shorted switch/pinched wire. Please tell dealer all you did and observed. ASK for a new hood switch or at least let them disable it temporarily :thumb:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You were right, Smokin! It was the hood latch. :blob: When they picked my enclave up today, it was registering "Theft Attempted" because the alarm went off again this morning. Well, they were able to put in on the computer and found numerous instances of the hood latch malfunctioning and one instance of my driver's side door latch malfunctioning. They called GM's technical assistance and they decided to replace both. So, the parts should be in in a few days. Hopefully then I can say we are alarm free!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts