EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since new, my '14 Enclave Leather has frequently misfired a bit when cold. Never a check engine light, so i just passed it off as sloppy ECM programming. A couple of weeks ago, I cranked it up and it was idling very rough. I shut off the engine, then restarted it. It seemed to smooth out, but it threw a CEL. Went to the dealer the following day, and the codes showed a lean fuel trim condition in both cylinder banks (PO171 and PO174). The fix was to replace the solenoid for the evaporative canister purge valve. Warrany covered it, and all is good.

The better news is, I have always felt that this car was a real dog, performance-wise - very unresponsive to throttle input, and bogging down at gear change points. Replacing that purge valve gave this thing new life. It now moves, as best a sea manatee can, and it can actually get out of its own way when pushed. It would seem that the lean fuel trim condition may have plagued this car from the beginning, but not enough to throw a CEL or engine code, until now. I haven't checked yet, but I'm hopeful that the freer-running feel of this thing might translate into slightly improved fuel mileage, simply because the engine won't be working so hard to supply enough fuel to allow it to run properly.

There may still be long-term hope for this car. :plain:

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the same problem a few times on my 2010 Enclave after about 90,000 miles. I replaced 2 of the purge valves before 117,000 miles. Others on this forum have explained a theory that topping off the fuel tank is the root cause. I guess this floats charcoal pieces from the evap canister into the purge valve holding it open when it shouldn't be open which lets too much fuel and that causes a hard start and rough idle. The good news is the purge valve is under $30 online and a 5 minute job on the top of the engine.
BruceB

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have replaced several of these. Had anyone opened one up to see if charcoal is holding the valve open? That's a really good theory. Flushing that line after replacing the valve would be a good idea, just to clear any charcoal from the line.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
alejocaz
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing