EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time poster here, I've done some searches and can't find an answer. I've been unable to test the dvd machine in some test drives because they are in short supply here and I've been test driving ones without dvd players or aftermarket ones.

I am looking to get a 2009 Enclave, and will either get Entertainment package 4 or go for the dual headrest DVD players. We have 2 young kids who can't load or control the dvd players themselves, so we'd like to make sure we can control the dvd from the front seats. We'd prefer not to use the remote control and are looking for something built right into the navigation panel/radio controls.

In my SAAB 9-7X (rebadged Envoy) the remote control for the roof mounted dvd player is difficult to use from the front seats and there are no front panel dvd controls like in many cars like the Honda Odyssey.

Anyone who can help answer this question would be much appreciated. . .the local sales guys don't seem to know the answer definitely.

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
At least with entertainment package 4 (navigation and DVD), you can control the DVD player from the front.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul said:
At least with entertainment package 4 (navigation and DVD), you can control the DVD player from the front.
Thank you, we'll go with that package. . .

·
Registered
717 Posts
We have Ent package 4 and there are some limitations (unless someone can correct me):

1. You need to be a Yoga expert to get the remote to work from the front seats - having young children who dont know how to use the remote and restricting the IR sensor is silly to me, but thats how its designed.

2. A *few* controls are available from the Nav screen - Play,stop, pause, FF - the 'Skip' buttons are located on the side of the Nav unit (hard button) - didnt see that for awhile.

Whats missing:
Menu and cursor keys (or maybe these are disabled when you are moving) - Doesnt sound like much but alot of movies go into 'preview mode' and you have to hit the skip button numerous times to change it - also is a pain when you want to potentially restart a movie you cant go to menu and do this (my kids can read to me what the screen says - a good example is High School musical, they want the 'Sing Along' version but I cant 'cursor' from the front seat)

My final gripe is the remote - 95% of most remotes have the same kind of labels to represent 'menu', etc....GM decided to pick a few labels which I have to figure out since I am pulling my arm out of my socket pressing anything to make a change happen with the remote..............

·
Registered
200 Posts
I haven't used our Entertainment package all that much yet. We're too scared to pull it out for regular road trips (1.5 hours or less) since our kids are okay for that duration - and we don't want to set a precedent...

I have installed the GMX and am curious of those that have if this alleviate's the posters concerns...

Again...GMX an add-on which should not be required for a $40K vehicle...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have the invision dual headrest mounted dvd. It is nice because the kids can watch different dvds. If unit a is playing Shreck unit b can watch it too, or the dvd that is in unit b. But it cannot be controlled from the front. That is electronically. I can still yell pretty loud! Like...you've been watching long enough!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts