EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is safe or advisable to use Rain-Ex on the headlights?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've never had a problem using it on headlights, taillights, side glass, turn signals, etc in the past 19 yrs I've been using it. I've owned one of my cars for 18 yrs, so I would have seen any adverse affects by now.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zxttfan said:
I've never had a problem using it on headlights, taillights, side glass, turn signals, etc in the past 19 yrs I've been using it. I've owned one of my cars for 18 yrs, so I would have seen any adverse affects by now.
Thanks, zxttfan!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Re: Re: Rain-Ex on headlights?

Dang. I knew I forgot to put it somewhere! (Also forgot the sunroofs). I've always been a huge fan of Rain-X, but based on reviews, this time I went with Aquapel. Far as I can tell, it works the same, but according to the reviews, it lasts twice as long (6 actual months on the windshield and a year on the side glass and mirrors). Time will tell. Cost me $10 for three single use applicators (I used two, but will probably use the third on the sunroofs and headlights). I've spent that much on Rain-X in 12 years, and I still have most of the second bottle left! (I'll keep using it on my wife's car). Come to think of it, I'll put some aquapel on the rear view camera lens as well. That thing is always wet/dirty. On the other hand, having a large bead of water there could make it even worse. Hmmmmm.
:-\

I wish the camera were higher so it wouldn't get so dirty. My brother's Range Rover has it at the top of the door, and it seems like he gets a better view too...

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Re: Rain-Ex on headlights?

I have used Rain-Ex for years as well. I have used it on the sides windows, the sunroof, rear window and the camera lens(too). I just wasn't too sure whether it would be safe to use on the plastic lens covers on the headlights. I may look into the Aquapel as well. Thanks for all the comments - Keep 'em coming! :thumb:

·
Registered
848 Posts
I would rather be safe myself and just use a sealant or wax. A sealant should last just as long, if not longer than aquapel or RainX.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would not use it on anything but glass. I believe there is a warning about avoiding contact with painted surfaces, so I would expect some reaction on plastic as well. As others advised, I would just go with wax on the plastic headlight covers.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't doubt anyone that has used rain-X on plastic items that they have had no problems. It was just last week that I e-mailed Rain--X and asked them the same question. They advised, NO! it is not recommended or designed for plastics aqnd should not be used on same ?????

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
tcparry said:
I don't doubt anyone that has used rain-X on plastic items that they have had no problems. It was just last week that I e-mailed Rain--X and asked them the same question. They advised, NO! it is not recommended or designed for plastics aqnd should not be used on same ?????
This being said, I think I will start my search for a plastic wax. Thanks, tcparry!

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
That seems interesting, except for one issue. It needs to be reapplied every 3 months according to the website.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
What's wrong with just keeping your car clean? I'm confused what benefit putting any coating, wax or whatever, on the headlights will be achieved. Unless it's for someone who never washes their car.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GoldEnclave said:
That seems interesting, except for one issue. It needs to be reapplied every 3 months according to the website.
Once a 1/4 isn't all that bad. I figure every two washes I do a detail, so it would include this application too.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
kidsenclave said:
What's wrong with just keeping your car clean? I'm confused what benefit putting any coating, wax or whatever, on the headlights will be achieved. Unless it's for someone who never washes their car.
I wash my E everyother week, whether it needs it or not. Plus, it gets waxed every 3rd wash Then, before I even put it the garage for the night, it gets a wipe down with a California duster, OR if it has been rained on during the day- gets the California Rain Blade treatment and wiped down. Waxing the thing and protecting the headlight lenses is the least I can do- even with the protectant on them it helps the water bead off better/quicker. I also have seen the effects of the UV damage on plastics on headlights and don't want to get involved in that process. If this isn't "baby-ing" your vehicle I don't know what is ???

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
cfedor said:
I wash my E everyother week, whether it needs it or not. Plus, it gets waxed every 3rd wash Then, before I even put it the garage for the night, it gets a wipe down with a California duster, OR if it has been rained on during the day- gets the California Rain Blade treatment and wiped down. Waxing the thing and protecting the headlight lenses is the least I can do- even with the protectant on them it helps the water bead off better/quicker. I also have seen the effects of the UV damage on plastics on headlights and don't want to get involved in that process. If this isn't "baby-ing" your vehicle I don't know what is ???
That's how I used to be a long time ago, but I got lazy over the years. I keep ours washed, but it's thru the local automatic wash. In the summer I will sometimes use the duster on it, and/or use the Quik detailer spray between washes. With all that cleaning you do, I assume your reason for this stuff for the headlights is supposed to protect them from yellowing, and getting cloudy? I've seen many vehicles with the yellow cloudy lights and never understand how they get that way, I've never experienced that with any of my vehicles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You might try Plexus plastic cleaner.I use it on my motorcycle.Works good to clean and shine,but I don't know if it would shed water like rain-ex.Just spray on and wipe off with a soft cloth.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
kidsenclave said:
That's how I used to be a long time ago, but I got lazy over the years. I keep ours washed, but it's thru the local automatic wash. In the summer I will sometimes use the duster on it, and/or use the Quik detailer spray between washes. With all that cleaning you do, I assume your reason for this stuff for the headlights is supposed to protect them from yellowing, and getting cloudy? I've seen many vehicles with the yellow cloudy lights and never understand how they get that way, I've never experienced that with any of my vehicles.
I guess that you don't get too many sunny days where you live. ;D UV radiation from sunlight is the culprit.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I guess that you don't get too many sunny days where you live. ;D UV radiation from sunlight is the culprit.
Our Bonneville's parking spot is outside since it was 4 years old, so in the remaining 5 years, it's seen sun, rain, snow. Even if it doesn't get full sun in our driveway all hours of the day, it sits outside at my wife's work, so I would think there would be some evidence of this happening now, at year 9 for the vehicle. (maybe that first 4 years in the garage really helped it)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts