EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to wash my 7.5 week old Audi Q3, but since I began the effort a couple of weeks ago the weather has been generally rainy. Still, the car is dirty regardless of the frequent rain. Even if the local car wash facility is open, I don't want to "waste" the money only to have the shine rained on so soon afterwards. What do most folks do in these situations?

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
As I have an unlimited wash package with Crew Carwash, formerly Mike's Carwash. I take the "Cherry-Ot" thru rain or shine. Watch this, I got it washed after dropping my youngest off at school. And as I am driving to work, a bird has the nerve to do-do on the hood and windshield. So I took it back thru the wash at lunch times. 2 washes in 4 hours! And I usually go thru 3 x's a week anyways.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have been using this rinseless wash product from Meguiars for some time. If the car is not too dirty Meguiars claims and I feel it is safe and won't scratch more than a regular car wash or even hand washing. I have used it on a few black cars including my current Enclave and Porsche which I do once or twice a week. This product is different from a typical spray detailer as it has more lubricity and very economical too as you dilute and put in your own spray bottle. Its important to wipe in one direction and turn the cloth to a clean side often. Some people are more OCD than others (to prevent scratches) and go as far as one wipe per side of the towel where others like me basically use one side of the towel for 3 or 4 wipes or one panel. A microfiber towel can be folded so there are 8 clean sides to use. I use one towel for wiping and one for buffing. Also, don't use the same towels for wheels as the paint and be careful to not transfer excess dirt on rocker panels and low areas up to higher painted surfaces. Here is a link to the product and a short video on how it is used.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rinse-free-express-wash-and-wax-d11501.html

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cfedor, my frequently exhausted wife refuses to wash the cars, and my work schedule limits my car wash opportunities to Sundays, Tuesdays, and Saturday afternoons. I am strongly averse to wasting my precious free time on a 30 minute wait on line at the car wash on weekends, which leaves Tuesdays. But lately, there's been the rain on Tuesdays, and most other days too. :mad:

While I'm at it, I might as well vent a bit. My wife and I have professions that have rigid schedules that interfere with the ins and outs of daily life. Plus, pay scales have not kept up with inflation so that we can't try to cut back on our work hours to improve, or even maintain, our lifestyle. Though I mentioned my frustration in finding time to wash my new Audi, I paid only about $1,000 more for it than for my base model Enclave about 8.5 years ago. Though I'm very happy with the Q3, it actually represents a fiscal step backwards taking inflation into account.

I guess what I'm ranting about is that I spent my relatively diminishing very hard earned income on a shiny new car because my Enclave was becoming a money pit, so I'm getting frustrated that I can't even find an opportunity to keep the paint clean. :soapbox:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Paul K. said:
I have been using this rinseless wash product from Meguiars for some time. If the car is not too dirty Meguiars claims and I feel it is safe and won't scratch more than a regular car wash or even hand washing. I have used it on a few black cars including my current Enclave and Porsche which I do once or twice a week. This product is different from a typical spray detailer as it has more lubricity and very economical too as you dilute and put in your own spray bottle. Its important to wipe in one direction and turn the cloth to a clean side often. Some people are more OCD than others (to prevent scratches) and go as far as one wipe per side of the towel where others like me basically use one side of the towel for 3 or 4 wipes or one panel. A microfiber towel can be folded so there are 8 clean sides to use. I use one towel for wiping and one for buffing. Also, don't use the same towels for wheels as the paint and be careful to not transfer excess dirt on rocker panels and low areas up to higher painted surfaces. Here is a link to the product and a short video on how it is used.

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-rinse-free-express-wash-and-wax-d11501.html
This seems interesting. I should look into it. As long as it doesn't take too long to use each time, it could be a viable option.

·
Registered
123 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
This seems interesting. I should look into it. As long as it doesn't take too long to use each time, it could be a viable option.
I do the Enclave in 30 minutes. Do the running boards, wheels and tires too with the stuff. If the paint surface is smooth and clean such as a new car or recently clayed and waxed, it goes quick and easy. At this point its basically just maintenance and "boosting" of the current coat of wax on the car. Since there is wax in it, I sometimes only do a traditional hand wax once a year.

·
Registered
47 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I'd like to wash my 7.5 week old Audi Q3, but since I began the effort a couple of weeks ago the weather has been generally rainy. Still, the car is dirty regardless of the frequent rain. Even if the local car wash facility is open, I don't want to "waste" the money only to have the shine rained on so soon afterwards. What do most folks do in these situations?
Rain doesn't wash a car. :facepalm: ;D

If it needs it , wash it weather it's going to rain or not. Help the painted surfaces out. ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ckta said:
Rain doesn't wash a car. :facepalm: ;D

If it needs it , wash it weather it's going to rain or not. Help the painted surfaces out. ;)
I agree. But, the local car washes are closed on rainy days (when I've been available to wash the car). So frustrating! I might just have to try on Sunday (of course, if it's not raining) regardless of the long line and rushed effort by the crew, instead of waiting for a preferable Tuesday.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
cfedor, my frequently exhausted wife refuses to wash the cars, and my work schedule limits my car wash opportunities to Sundays, Tuesdays, and Saturday afternoons. I am strongly averse to wasting my precious free time on a 30 minute wait on line at the car wash on weekends, which leaves Tuesdays. But lately, there's been the rain on Tuesdays, and most other days too. :mad:

While I'm at it, I might as well vent a bit. My wife and I have professions that have rigid schedules that interfere with the ins and outs of daily life. Plus, pay scales have not kept up with inflation so that we can't try to cut back on our work hours to improve, or even maintain, our lifestyle. Though I mentioned my frustration in finding time to wash my new Audi, I paid only about $1,000 more for it than for my base model Enclave about 8.5 years ago. Though I'm very happy with the Q3, it actually represents a fiscal step backwards taking inflation into account.

I guess what I'm ranting about is that I spent my relatively diminishing very hard earned income on a shiny new car because my Enclave was becoming a money pit, so I'm getting frustrated that I can't even find an opportunity to keep the paint clean. :soapbox:
30 minutes ??? Crew carwash centers here have a unlimited lane only. I zip in, I cut off the line that is backed up with those paying cash or CC, and I'm out in 8 minutes tops. Granted they just do the exterior and don't vacuum or do the inside of the windows - which I like to do myself thoroughly.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
cfedor, as far as I know, there is no "express" option. Not only is the line very long, but also the crew rushes the pre-wash prep and the post-wash touch up and interior cleaning. At about $25 for a premium car wash, I want attention to detail as well as a short wait time. I could spend about half that for a basic exterior wash, but I prefer "the works" inside and out. For these reasons, I prefer going on Tuesdays.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, it seems that the next non-rainy opportunity for me to wash the Q3 will probably be next Tuesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
cfedor, as far as I know, there is no "express" option. Not only is the line very long, but also the crew rushes the pre-wash prep and the post-wash touch up and interior cleaning. At about $25 for a premium car wash, I want attention to detail as well as a short wait time. I could spend about half that for a basic exterior wash, but I prefer "the works" inside and out. For these reasons, I prefer going on Tuesdays.
:thumb:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
Well, it seems that the next non-rainy opportunity for me to wash the Q3 will probably be next Tuesday. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I used to be very particular with my BMW--hand wash only. I asked the dealership if they do that, and they said unfortunately no, only M cars are hand wash only. Everyone else gets run through the wash. So I used to request that they do not wash my car. At least 1/2 the time, I would get my car back clean and washed, and the tires would be for lack of a better word, armor alled. Meaning they forgot that I said not to wash the car.

So I gave up with the hand wash only at the dealer and let them wash it. At least they do a pre inspection so if anything happened, they know they did it. 9 yrs. later there are no dings, just some stone chips etc.

But I never run my BMW through the wash--my wife's uncles builds them, and he said never, ever, run a car that you like through a car wash. I told him yeah but they say all cloth, etc.? He said true, it's not the cloth, it's the alignment of the hardware that will eventually give you swirl marks. Just don't do it. The Enclave, I don't care, too big to hand wash, just hand wax.

When I get the M2, I hope that finally I will have a car that the dealer washes by hand.

With the Enclave, you don't even have to tell the GMC dealer to not wash it, they don't anyway! Very bizarre in this day and age. :happy:

edit: the '16 328i is dirty, what do I do, I have never in my life washed a loaner car...

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Victory! :rock: Luckily, the weather forecast from several days ago was correct about Tuesday :sunny: , so I finally washed my new Audi for the very first time in the 8.5 weeks of ownership. I checked the finish for swirl marks in the paint from the high tech automatic carwash afterwards and there appear to be none. :thumb:

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
:dancing: ;D

·
Registered
848 Posts
I'd rather take 30 minutes to wash mine by hand then sit in line for 30 minutes to have the paint swirled at a car wash. :p

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I don't personally know anyone more obsessive about car washing than yours truly, but often times that's more a curse than a benefit.

My story is much like Gold's; I brought home my new Altima on 3/1/16, then washed (and clay barred/waxed) it for the first time on 3/5/16. Well, I didn't wash it for the second time until this past Saturday 5/28. The reasons are consistent but varied; as a traveling guy, I wash virtually exclusively on Saturdays (Sundays are always busy for me with other things to do), and the weather over the past 2 months has been either rainy or unseasonably cold......or I've had other things (like my two kids' graduations) going on.

So, my new BLACK :facepalm: car was dirty/filthy for what amounts to two solid months; and nothing drives me crazier when the rest of the week is sunny and warm. Anyway, I finally got out in the driveway this past Saturday and washed/waxed (no clay bar this time) my new unit and it's got its new car glow back (though in my comparatively dark garage, I can't as yet see how much residual wax I didn't successfully remove). I followed with my wife's equally filthy (if not more so) Outback.......wash only, no wax.....so both my cars are relatively clean this morning.

I happen to have a generous supply of Waterless car washing spray (and MF towels) as part of my cleaning arsenal.....and I know how to use it......but have honestly never had an occasion to use it as opposed to pulling out the bucket and hose (or go to a local coin-op sprayer).

·
Registered
5,942 Posts
Washed the "Cherry-Ot" at the drive thru twice in one day. B/c a bird do dooed on it on the drive to work. So I washed it again on the way home in the evening. Personal wax job coming up this weekend....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts