EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am stumped on a solution to this issue. About two months ago the check charging system indicator came on on our 2011 Enclave with 60K miles. First thought was the battery was failing so I took to Advance Auto and they said battery was weak so I bought a new battery. Couple days later check charging system again. Made appointment at dealer. Dealer diagnosis said bad alternator. Paid the $1000 for a new alternator. Week later taking highway trip for anniversary you guessed it: charging system failure, battery saver. Watched voltage drop below 12V so went immediately to closest dealer. They had it for 7 days and could not get error. We took car home (about 40 miles no problem). This week after no issues for two weeks again charge sys. failure. I can't find any references to this issue on any forum and after two alternators I believe there is an another issue present. I suspect alternator did not need replacing and issue was misdiagnosed in the beginning. No error codes are being generated. What is my next step. As is car is totally undependable and almost un drivable.

Thanks in advance!

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2012 Enclave. We have had it less than 6 consecutive days since we bought it in September. The dealer has changed the battery, and most recently the alternator. Today is the first day I have driven it for more than 15 minutes and the dash lights dimmed, and it didn’t want to come out of reverse, and made the engine really loud while doing so. Did you find a solution?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The second alternator had failed. What is the probability of a new alternator failing? After this we have no problems in three years!

·
Super Moderator
705 Posts
Pretty crazy you've had that much bad luck with alternators. Genuine GM OEM part or some parts store Chinese knockoff?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Chinesium alternators are good for a day then they need to be changed out, but I’m guessing since he took it to the dealer they would have used a genuine GM. Or maybe not, I’ve been at dealers before and seen parts being delivered from local auto parts stores because they needed something that wasn’t in their stock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts