EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just completed a trip from Northern Michigan to Arizona. Driving experience was great! I was impressed with the MPG. We averaged 22.8mpg over 2231 miles, which covered everything, from 2 lanes, to Interstate, to mountain crossings in New Mexico. Average speed was 63.4mph.

Ride was comfortable and pleasing. I have never owned a vehicle that took the "stress and fatigue" out of a long trip. Only one small complaint was the excessive shifting on some steep grades.

Couldn't be more pleased with this vehicle. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

·
Registered
83 Posts
We'll be taking a trip to Blowing Rock, NC in the near future. Looking forward to some hills. The biggest hills we have in Florida are on ramps. So far the best gas mileage I have seen has been about 21. I only have 2500 mi on the car. Maybe it needs to break in some more.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
My mileage seems to have improved over time - I have ~5800 miles on it. Overall average is 18.5, mixed city/highway driving.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey Rocky, have you tried running 89 to see if there is any difference in mpg. I'm trying an experiment and it's all been city miles so far but I switched from Safeway regular to Shell 89. It isn't official, hasn't been witnessed and verified by the accounting firm of Moss Adams but I seem to be getting .7 mpg better in all city driving. It doesn't quite break even for cost/mile if I use the cheapest regular I can find (typically Safeway or the 76 on Gravelly) in the calculations. I've got until Tuesday before I get a hwy run in that will mess up my city calculations so I'll fill up before that trip and see if it still holds true at that point.

A guy on the Acadia board took a hwy trip and said his mileage actually went down when he switched to 89 so I want to experiment with that also.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
No, Rod, I haven't. I'm so happy :D to be able to buy regular again after years of the MDX requiring premium (although, I switched to mid-grade months ago in the MDX and saw no difference).

Sounds like I have finally found another Enclave owner in my neighborhood! Cool!! :cheers:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually, I own an Acadia and I'm just bummin on your board, I hope you don't mind. ;D :cheers:

I understand about finally getting to run regular. I'm just playing around with it at this point but if I come close to break even in cost/per mile I'm thinking I'll probably run the 89 because I like the little extra pep. The extra $6 over the break even per year isn't going to kill me (assuming the calculated mpg improvement continues).

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Be sure to keep me/us posted on how the experiment goes. You're right about the few extra dollars - if there is an improvement in performance, it would be well worth it!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Edmunds http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fueleconomy/articles/125158/article.html just did some testing of the Enclave's mileage on highway trips. Among its findings:

To include an SUV, we chose the Buick Enclave from our long-term fleet. It provided the extra benefit of allowing us to put roof rails on it so we could test the aerodynamic effects of carrying luggage in this way. Interestingly, the Enclave boasts surprisingly good fuel economy and is set up to maximize efficiency.
Using calm driving as a baseline, we found that calming down and slowing down showed these results:
Lexus ES 350: 33 percent improvement from 24.5 mpg (aggressive) to 32.5 mpg (calm).
Toyota Tundra: 35 percent improvement from 15.5 mpg (aggressive) to 20.8 mpg (calm).
Buick Enclave: 38 percent improvement from 19.7 mpg (aggressive) to 27.2 mpg (calm).
Note: Because the Enclave is set up for maximum fuel economy, it is reluctant to downshift for lane changes. If forced to downshift, it shifts from 6th to 4th gear, forcing higher revs and consuming more gas.
Aerodynamic effects of roof rails: When compared with cruise control set at 65 mph, adding the cross rails of a roof rack (and driving with cruise control set at 65 mph) caused a 1 percent loss in fuel economy from 27.2 mpg (without cross rails) to 27 mpg.
They also tested mileage with air conditioning on, then off, using another model, and found a 9.5% improvement in mileage with the a/c off at highway speeds. This could help account for varying Enclave reports, so when we're reporting mileage it might make sense to mention whether the a/c was on.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
That's very interesting!! I don't believe I have it in me to be that calm!! :happy:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
rockyp said:
That's very interesting!! I don't believe I have it in me to be that calm!! :happy:
Interesting yes, but they have it wrong, the tranny doesn't downshift to 4th from 6th, it downshifts from 6th to 5th without the torque converter engaged and then the torque converter engages so it feels like a double shift. How calm was calm, that must be a FWD and what speed were they driving?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Rod S said:
Actually, I own an Acadia and I'm just bummin on your board, I hope you don't mind. ;D :cheers:

I understand about finally getting to run regular. I'm just playing around with it at this point but if I come close to break even in cost/per mile I'm thinking I'll probably run the 89 because I like the little extra pep. The extra $6 over the break even per year isn't going to kill me (assuming the calculated mpg improvement continues).
You might find this thread interesting: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1211.0

We talked about different blends and the mileage differences verses cost. I ended up thinking it was a push between ethanol blend and regular. See what you think. :thumb:

·
Registered
349 Posts
rockyp said:
I know I don't!

·
Registered
35 Posts
xrayman said:
You might find this thread interesting: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=1211.0

We talked about different blends and the mileage differences verses cost. I ended up thinking it was a push between ethanol blend and regular. See what you think. :thumb:
Interesting. I don't have the blend here but I am playing with 89 instead of 87 octane. So far for me it still pencils out to be even in cost/mile in 100% city driving. I haven't had a chance to see what HWY difference would be like. If the cost/mi is the same whether I run 87 or 89 I'll run 89 because it seems like the car has a little more pep. I notice on one incline that I drive 2x a day that the car doesn't shift down to hold speed up that particular grade (on 89 as opposed to 87).

Still testing.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Rod S said:
Interesting. I don't have the blend here but I am playing with 89 instead of 87 octane. So far for me it still pencils out to be even in cost/mile in 100% city driving. I haven't had a chance to see what HWY difference would be like. If the cost/mi is the same whether I run 87 or 89 I'll run 89 because it seems like the car has a little more pep. I notice on one incline that I drive 2x a day that the car doesn't shift down to hold speed up that particular grade (on 89 as opposed to 87).

Still testing.
Heck, if the cost is the same/gallon, I would always go with the higher octane, all other things being equal. The difference with the ethanol blends is that ethanol will have fewer miles per gallon compared to pure gasoline, so the cheaper cost figures out to lower miles/gallon too. Takes a little math to see if there is any savings. I calculated it to be a push in my experience. :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts