EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
The lambda Platform is very good in the snow if your tires are good. My traverse was great in the snow. Anything less than 5/32 of tread on the tires you are taking a chance in the snow AWD or not. I had 5/32 on the Equinox LTZ AWD and just replaced them for the winter.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I was up in Vermont last week when it was snowing, we were supposed to get over a foot but only received about 6 inches. There was a discussion about winter tires in the gondola by another group. One person brought up that the father of his friends took one of their all wheel drive vehicles back home to change the all season tires and put on winter tires. This guy was so certain that snow tires are overkill on an all wheel drive, after all it is all wheel drive. Well I had to hold my tongue, I didn't even put my .01 in. I will add my .02 here.
Sure AWD is good for accelerating, but what about handling and stopping?
Well there are all season tires and there are all season tires. Some are rated better than others in the snow and they also behave differently in a couple inches verses several inches. I have been using winter tires on my vehicles since 1999. There is a big advantage in handling and in stopping distance in snow with winter tires. If you are considering tires you should do some research on the handling rating in rain, snow, and stopping distance. Tirerack has some good comparisons.
Sure, winter tires are an upfront expense, but if you consider that they should last about 5 seasons and you will have them on your vehicle for 3-4 months a year so your all seasons will not be wearing for those 3-4 months, so you should get another year out of them. You are going to wear tires anyway so if you are going to be driving in less than perfect winter conditions, winter tires are good insurance to keep you and your family safe.
BTW as we were leaving the ski area, driving up Rt.4 west towards Pico, no less than 6 vehicles were sliding sideways and going nowhere holding everybody else up, yes they were FWD but if they had winter tires they would have had no problems. My Lambda handles terrific with Blizzacks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
With 4 new tires the 2008 FWD Enclave is the best car I have ever driven on snow for getting around and we do get snow and ice here.

Car is heavy like a tank for snow , I ask my wife to keep gas tank full also with the placement along center of car it helps add more weight to back and front

tires are Mastercraft Courser HSX made by cooper

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I enjoyed that video. :thumb: That looked really bad! One thing that's also important....good wipers!

I would say that my Impala's wiper blades are not as good as my Enclave's were.

·
Super Moderator
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha, yeah the only problem I was having with the wipers was the snow coming down so hard (news said over 4" per hour) was the buildup on the blades. I had the defrost on max with the windows cracked to keep it from being 90 in the car. Every now and then I'd flip the wipers to max and it would fling most of the buildup off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I drove from Vegas back to Utah and it was huge storm.. It did handle beautifully CXL AWD passing some trucks.. Utah Highway patrol told me to slow down :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts