EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It would be nice to see what's behind you when you are in motion -- especially when towing. Coastal eTech has such a product -- the GMX-320 LOCKPICK. It also allows you to watch your DVD's on the Nav display while in motion and unlock the Nav buttons as well.

My Coastal eTech GMX-320 LOCKPICK is on the way. Installation looks pretty easy. The only hitch is if you want the rear camera to be hooked up (to allow viewing your rear camera in Drive). Apparently I need to run a single wire (the "blue wire") all the way to the back of the vehicle on the drivers side. Has anyone done this? If so how did you route the blue wire from the radio to back?

Thanks

GM-320 web page
http://www.coastaletech.com/GMX320.htm

Instructions on hooking up to the Acadia
http://www.coastaletech.com/acadia.htm

Note: In the documentation for the GMX-320, the instructions say the blue wire for the rear camera should be connected to a wire harness under the passenger seat. This is not so for the lambda's. As mentioned in the web site above, the harness is located elsewhere for us..

·
Registered
379 Posts
At least you can get them to respond! I have email them with no results!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I installed the GM Lockpick this afternoon. It was fairly easy to do. The difficult part was fitting all of those wires into the shallow space, but it did fit after a little rearranging and grunting. I did not install the long blue cord for the rearview camera while driving unlock, do not need that feature right now. It works like a charm, now have access to xm stations, dvd, etc.

For those of you interested in getting live T.V. in your Enclave for those long road trips, I found a way to do it. You can use a "slingbox" or "hava" device. These are devices that can take you regular T.V., DirecTV or TIVO to anywhere in the world that has internet access and it's totally FREE. All you need is a labtop computer and some audio/video cables to hook up to the AUX port on the Enclave. It works great and with the GM Lockpick, the front passenger can watch T.V. as well. I will post pictures in the next day or two. This will help to distract you from all the noise people have been hearing in the super quiet 'clave.

·
Registered
333 Posts
orthopac said:
I installed the GM Lockpick this afternoon. It was fairly easy to do. The difficult part was fitting all of those wires into the shallow space, but it did fit after a little rearranging and grunting. I did not install the long blue cord for the rearview camera while driving unlock, do not need that feature right now. It works like a charm, now have access to xm stations, dvd, etc.

For those of you interested in getting live T.V. in your Enclave for those long road trips, I found a way to do it. You can use a "slingbox" or "hava" device. These are devices that can take you regular T.V., DirecTV or TIVO to anywhere in the world that has internet access and it's totally FREE. All you need is a labtop computer and some audio/video cables to hook up to the AUX port on the Enclave. It works great and with the GM Lockpick, the front passenger can watch T.V. as well. I will post pictures in the next day or two. This will help to distract you from all the noise people have been hearing in the super quiet 'clave.
Do post please!

I have looked into the "slingbox", many of our pilot friends use it, great for catching the "Big Game" in Uganda or somewhere. Question, how are you planning on getting a stable internet connection that has the bandwidth to run that bad boy while cruising?

Good Luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
orthopac said:
johnt26,
Good question, I'm still researching that bit. I hoping Verizon wireless may have an answer.
The only way to do get broadband while driving around is with an EVDO modem attached to a computer or wireless router, or through a cell phone designed to do that. Service is $59.99 a month from either Sprint or Verizon. In either case you agree not to "stream content" through your modem. Sprint doesn't enforce (I have been a customer for 24 months), but Verizon reportedly does -- canceling customers accounts who use too much bandwidth. You need to live somewhere with EVDO coverage of course..

http://www.evdoforums.com/

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
orthopac said:
Wow! I was about to write the same thing! I installed my GMX-320 Lockpick last night. Took me several hours, but I was probably overly careful (moving towels around to keep things from getting scratched. The good news is the cover is easy to remove and doesn't require removal of heating vent ductwork (like the Acadia). The bad news, as you mentioned is there is NO room for the MASSIVE wire harness and electronic black box to fit. I spent an hour trying to manipulate the harness, push and push harder. I also did some grunting before the trim panel would fit back on. I pushed so hard I thought things would break -- but they didn't.

I spent over an hour trying to get the blue wire to feed out into the passenger compartment so I can snake it back the the back corner on the drivers side. It was midnight so I left that to another time.

When I powered on, the unit was already "unlocked" (I could watch DVD's while in motion). Whenever I try to turn off the DVD unlock feature using their special commands, the entire radio shuts down and a message comes up saying I need to service the rear camera. As long as I have the lockpick engaged everything works fine. Did you leave the DIP switches in the factory config? The first two switches are in the down position for me.

orthopac, I assume you got the GMX-320. I wish we had bought them together. Could have saved $50 each.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah, Clave Man, I just kept the factor setting on the DIP switches. I just wanted to unlock the DVD, Nav and XM. Perhaps at some point, I might hook up multiple cameras but I doubt it. Yes, I did get the GMX-320. It took me 5 mins. to get everthying out and another 30-40 minutes just to put it back together! I just hope it doesn't "pop" loose while my wife is driving. :beer:

Thanks for the information about sprint vs. verizon as well. I knew there would be a catch somewhere, it was just too simple to do for something not to go wrong. I may try sprint then or wait until WiMax becomes available. :binky:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Unlocking XM - does this mean you get all XM programs free even after 90 days as long as the LockPick is installed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Flipsonic said:
Unlocking XM - does this mean you get all XM programs free even after 90 days as long as the LockPick is installed?
No, it means the various scroll bars in the XM navigation menus are unlocked. Normally, when in motion, the menus are locked and you can't scroll to other categories or stations.

joe

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flipsonic said:
No. The GMX-320 Lockpick device "unlocks" the Navigation controls for the XM radio. Normally when in motion you cannot scroll the display. For example if there are 12 "News" channels to choose from on the screen, only the first 5-6 are shown. If you are stopped, you can press an arrow to scroll down to see the rest of the list. Once the car starts to move the buttons become disabled. The Lockpick will re-enable these buttons for 60 seconds if you hit the secret sequence.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all-

I just had the new GM GEN 5 lockpick installed in my wife's new enclave. So far, it works fine - it unlocks the destination inputs on the nav system while the car is in motion, and it allows me to view the DVD while in motion too (just to see what the kids are up to - obviously, i don't make a habit of this). With the GEN 5, supposedly the factory rear camera can be activated if the unit's been hooked up to the rear view camera control module. Apparently, in some lambda platforms, that control module is located under the passenger's seat, but it's not in the Enclave. My installer didn't know where to find it, and I haven't heard back from coastal E-tech (makers of the lockpick unit). Does anyone know where it is?

thanks-

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have still not connected my blue wire. I know I saw somehere that the splice point is behind the driver side left turn lights in the rear. In the panel, not the light

·
Registered
10 Posts
Clave Man said:
I have still not connected my blue wire. I know I saw somehere that the splice point is behind the driver side left turn lights in the rear. In the panel, not the light
Clave Man-
Thanks for the info. My install shop tried (thus far unsuccessfully, as far as I know) to contact Coastal E-tech to see if they've mapped the Enclave's electrical system yet. I'll let my shop know where to look for the splice point (and I'll let everyone know if/how it works out).

thanks again-

·
Registered
232 Posts
drscott said:
Hi all-

I just had the new GM GEN 5 lockpick installed in my wife's new enclave. So far, it works fine - it unlocks the destination inputs on the nav system while the car is in motion, and it allows me to view the DVD while in motion too (just to see what the kids are up to - obviously, i don't make a habit of this). With the GEN 5, supposedly the factory rear camera can be activated if the unit's been hooked up to the rear view camera control module. Apparently, in some lambda platforms, that control module is located under the passenger's seat, but it's not in the Enclave. My installer didn't know where to find it, and I haven't heard back from coastal E-tech (makers of the lockpick unit). Does anyone know where it is?

thanks-
Camera module is in the rear jack compartment (driver's side of vehicle).

·
Registered
469 Posts
drscott said:
Hi all-

thanks-
drscott;
Did you install the GEN 5 with switch 1 in the up or down position?

Thanks... RCH

·
Registered
10 Posts
RCH said:
drscott;
Did you install the GEN 5 with switch 1 in the up or down position?

Thanks... RCH
RCH-
Up. My DVD is unlocked at all times - it doesn't require the four presses of the mute button. As far as I can tell from reading the fine print of the installation/instruction guide from Coastal, if I were to put switch 1 in the down position, I would be able to switch the DVD unlock on and off, but when the DVD is unlocked, the Nav system wouldn't be actively tracking. I'm honestly not sure how the two things (i.e, DVD unlock and Nav tracking) are related, but that seems to be the way the system works. When my kids are watching a DVD, I just switch the front screen to something else (like the navigation screen, for example) when I don't want to see what they're watching.

Loach-
thanks for the info. i took a look in that rear compartment, but all I see is what looks like the motor for the power liftgate. there's a small black box with a wiring harness higher up in the compartment, but i'm not sure what it is yet. i'll check again when i have more time (and when my wife's not around to get ticked off about me taking her new car apart...)

thanks again-
dr. s

·
Registered
232 Posts
drscott said:
Loach-
thanks for the info. i took a look in that rear compartment, but all I see is what looks like the motor for the power liftgate. there's a small black box with a wiring harness higher up in the compartment, but i'm not sure what it is yet. i'll check again when i have more time (and when my wife's not around to get ticked off about me taking her new car apart...)

thanks again-
dr. s
I'm assuming you have a 2009, so I suppose it could be different, but as I recall in the 2008s you should see a silver box down low in the jack compartment (maybe 3" by 3" square). Up higher in the back of that compartment are the Onstar and XM modules.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts