EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Enclave: only 1 month old. After driving for about an hour, my kid notice the 3 Rear Climate control knobs are super hot :angryfire:, can't keep my hand on it for more than 5 secs. All other control unit from the front was fine. Anyone with similar problem? Probably need to bring it in for service soon. Don't want to do super long road trip and things start burning. Will update you guys on this.

Hate this when issues happens so early in owning a car. This is my first American car too. Hopefully, I will not regret this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,514 Posts
GreatDon said:
2011 Enclave: only 1 month old. After driving for about an hour, my kid notice the 3 Rear Climate control knobs are super hot :angryfire:, can't keep my hand on it for more than 5 secs. All other control unit from the front was fine. Anyone with similar problem? Probably need to bring it in for service soon. Don't want to do super long road trip and things start burning. Will update you guys on this.

Hate this when issues happens so early in owning a car. This is my first American car too. Hopefully, I will not regret this.
Normal.....same in both our lambdas. Quit trying to "buy" problems just because you are "programmed" to think American cars are troublesome! :eek:hno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
GreatDon said:
2011 Enclave: only 1 month old. After driving for about an hour, my kid notice the 3 Rear Climate control knobs are super hot :angryfire:, can't keep my hand on it for more than 5 secs. All other control unit from the front was fine. Anyone with similar problem? Probably need to bring it in for service soon. Don't want to do super long road trip and things start burning. Will update you guys on this.

Hate this when issues happens so early in owning a car. This is my first American car too. Hopefully, I will not regret this.
I'll have to pay close attention to mine next time I take a trip. Control knobs should not get so hot that you cannot keep your hand on it for more than 5 seconds. Issues happen with all cars (foreign and domestic) and I think the Enclave is a great vehicle. Get it fixed to your satisfaction and enjoy your new vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,554 Posts
was the AC blowing? or rear system off??

that way others can test it on theirs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
733 Posts
Pretty common. Had a Cadillac once and a couple of the buttons on it got hot all the time. Enclave is just the same. Usually the temp controls do it.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
21,164 Posts
It may be normal, though I only have the manual knobs in the second row of my CX, so I can't comment from personal experience. Regardless, it is not nearly as bad as when I had to smack the dash almost daily on my 2003 Subaru Outback after the car hit about 60,000 miles in order for the instruments panel to illuminate at night. ::) My Outback's defective coil pack (or the equivalent), engine oil leak, rusting door dings, repeatedly tearing windshield wiper blades, mis-calibrated fuel guage, prematurely oxidizing paint (developed a dullness after about 3.5 years, or so), extremely rough idle, etc, etc, etc, may help put the Japanese vs. American car debate into perspective. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments. Really? I really don't see how this is "Normal" when my kid gets off her car seat and burns her when she passes by??? I have never experience controls knobs being Hot?? Yes the back A/c was on. It was just the lighted climate knobs that was hot. The panel around the knobs wasn't.

I have own 1 Lexus , 2 Toyotas and a BMW all my life and never this kind of issue or heard of from friends/family. I just don't want a smoking car or my kid injured on long road trips.

Called Buick Service department today and they said they never heard of this issue. I told them I'm not sure how to show them how Hot these knobs can get b/c it's only 15mins to the service shop. They said they can test it somehow and is covered. Will let you guys know what the outcome after this Saturday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Dear GreatDon,

I have read your post about the temperature of your rear climate control knobs. I do agree that this is something that you need to have checked by the dealership. This should be covered under warranty. For the specific warranty information about your unique situation, this is going to be the best place to take your vehicle.

Sincerely,
Michelle, Buick Customer Service
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: they can't find anything but suggested that I lower my interior dome light setting, not to max. WoW Great answer :confused: !!!!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
GreatDon said:
Update: they can't find anything but suggested that I lower my interior dome light setting, not to max. WoW Great answer :confused: !!!!!!!!!
Wow, very odd. I'm with you, I wouldn't find that to be "normal" either. The rear control knobs should not be heating up to that degree. I have two children as well and would be concerned for them too if mine were doing this. After your post I checked to make sure they weren't, and, even after being on the highway for an hour driving to camp in very hot weather, all control knobs were cool to the touch (front and rear).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
Just checked two days ago, and our rear control knobs (CX....so they are three rotary knobs, not the digital) are hot to the touch, when at night and the lights on, so I would say this is "normal".

EDIT: "GreatDon": Do you have a CX Enclave? You didn't put anything in your signature about what model you own, but you said "3 control knobs".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
kidsenclave said:
Just checked two days ago, and our rear control knobs (CX....so they are three rotary knobs, not the digital) are hot to the touch, when at night and the lights on, so I would say this is "normal".

EDIT: "GreatDon": Do you have a CX Enclave? You didn't put anything in your signature about what model you own, but you said "3 control knobs".
Hadn't noticed the 3 control knobs comment. Mine are buttons (digital) for rear temp control. The only rear control "knobs" I have are 2 for volumn of the rear audio system (if using regular headphones instead of the wireless ones, which we sometimes do b/c the wireless ones are a bit big for my young daughter). So, slightly different system than mine, but still wouldn't expect them to get hot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I am experiencing the same problem with my 2011 CXL. The second row climate conrtol knobs get too hot to maintain contact with. I also have a toddler who scoots past them and I am worried that she might get burned. I have 65000 km on my vehicle so still have 15000 km left on the B2B warranty. I will take it to the dealer but it sounds like other dealers couldn't find a problem with the OP vehicle. I'll report back on findings. Anyone else had a similar problem diagnosed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
canuk said:
I am experiencing the same problem with my 2011 CXL. The second row climate conrtol knobs get too hot to maintain contact with. I also have a toddler who scoots past them and I am worried that she might get burned. I have 65000 km on my vehicle so still have 15000 km left on the B2B warranty. I will take it to the dealer but it sounds like other dealers couldn't find a problem with the OP vehicle. I'll report back on findings. Anyone else had a similar problem diagnosed?
They will not say there's a problem that's normal for the controls to be hot.....they all are like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
I am getting the same thing for my 2012. I noticed that the back lighting for the rear control panel is being provided by halogen bulbs, and not LED, therefore if you leave the rear AC on for extended time, the panel is hot to the touch. During my last long trip in the E, I tried to bring the cabin temp to within comfort level and disable the rear AC from the front. (if the little amber light on the rear button on the AC control is not lit, the back lighting for the center console control will turn off) This kind of relieves the situation and the front AC vents were more than adequate in regulating the cabin temperature.

Hope this helps in explaining and providing resolution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,918 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
As I had reported on this matter a couple of years ago, I have not noticed this issue. :shrug:
I will have to check this out.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top