EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't get the chance to test out the Enclave in heavy traffic in the big cities. Can someone give me some feedback as to the vision out the back window when changing lanes. I've read where some Enclave owners have said that was about the only drawback they've had with the car.I'd like to hear from the owners here. Thanks.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Driving in traffic is no problem at all. The visibility is great. As stated the large mirrors help a lot. I would not change lanes unless I was sure that there is nothing there. I usually have the 3rd row down which helps a lot. When I had people back there is was a little difficult to see out the rear window, but that would be true in any vehicle.
Close range backing up or parking is another matter. The rear sensors are most helpful in these situations.

·
Registered
612 Posts
No way the Enclave is "great" in this department. The rear window is tiny. If you have a DVD screen in the way its worse. The rear side panel windows are very small. Sorry, but it is what it is. You will get used to it and adjust. I drive in rush hour traffic in St. Louis 4-6 lanes on I-70. I find myself stretching to see when I want to change lanes. Sorry I don't wear rose glasses. There is a whole lot to love about this car. You can Google "Buick Enclace Total Vision" if you want to read Buick's spin on it. They tried their best. The market is going in the direction of "style" right now. The Enclave has it. I love it.

Good luck

·
Registered
410 Posts
Clave Man said:
No way the Enclave is "great" in this department. The rear window is tiny. If you have a DVD screen in the way its worse. The rear side panel windows are very small. Sorry, but it is what it is. You will get used to it and adjust. I drive in rush hour traffic in St. Louis 4-6 lanes on I-70. I find myself stretching to see when I want to change lanes. Sorry I don't wear rose glasses. There is a whole lot to love about this car. You can Google "Buick Enclace Total Vision" if you want to read Buick's spin on it. They tried their best. The market is going in the direction of "style" right now. The Enclave has it. I love it.
My opinion too.

I find myself relying much more on the side mirrors than I have in any previous car. One you get past the the fear of not being able to see cars directly and adjust to using the mirrors, I don't have a problem.

Putting down the third-row headrests helps. I also find that angling the side mirrors slightly out, so you can't see the side of the car, also helps see cars to the side.

·
Registered
214 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
We had a great visibility moment when we drove off with the tailgate open. My daughter looked back and said how great the visibility was, but my wife said "What's that noise?" It was the engine of the car behind us. Scary that no indicators, alarms or gear lock prevented us from driving with the tailgate open! :scared:
You might have taken the vehicle out of park and started accelerating before it closed and locked.

If you shift the transmission out of PARK (P) while the
power function is in progress, the liftgate power function
will continue to completion. If you shift the transmission
out of PARK (P) and accelerate before the power
liftgate latches closed, the liftgate may reverse to
the open position.
Cargo could fall out of the vehicle.
Always make sure the power liftgate is closed and
latched before you drive away.
2-16[/color][/color]
Wayne

·
Registered
484 Posts
I drive the So. Cal. freeways, much of the time in heavy traffic and the street traffic is heavy, also. I haven't had any issues with lane changes. It almost seems as though I have better field of vision with the Enclave than I did with my Chrysler Van. I am pleased about this. I suppose that it all depends on your height and how you set your seat. I personally have my seat positioned as high as possible. That may help some with problems.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This Enclave I'm getting will definitely be the biggest vehicle I've ever owned. From the feedback I've read so far lowering the rear seats and adjusting the side mirrors seems like good advice to me.When I drive through Atlanta or Cincy one needs all the tips he can get.The only traffic around my place is tractors doing 20 miles per hour.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Actually, you don't need to lower the rear seat, just the rear headrests, and the view out the rear window is cleared.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually, you don't need to lower the rear seat, just the rear headrests, and the view out the rear window is cleared.
[/quote]

Thanks Jacko. I'll be sure to remember this in the future.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I haven't noticed any visiablity problems with the Enclave from the side mirrors. The only thing that blocks vision for me is the DVD monitor. When the kids are watching a DVD it pretty much blocks all vision out the back window. I really can't believe GM allowed this. Our previous vehicle had DVD monitor and it didn't block any of the back window. My only suggestion is to pay attention to the traffic around you and you'll be fine changing lanes.

·
Registered
182 Posts
The side windows on my Outlook are bigger/taller than on the Enclave but I still can't see everything right beside me. Even though it looks odd/tacky, I put those little bubble mirrors on mine to see below and to the side of me. I used to drive a Suburban and had those so it was not a big adjustment for me. Just something to consider

·
Registered
344 Posts
TheKings said:
. . . . My only suggestion is to pay attention to the traffic around you and you'll be fine changing lanes.
:ditto: This issue was a big concern to me also before I bought my Enclave. I never had an SUV before, and I was worried about it. I didn't give it a big enough test drive to really get the feel of the visibility before we ordered. The first couple days it was a little nerve wracking for me as I was very nervous to lane change. But I soon learned to really pay attention to where all vehicles were around me and now it doesn't bother me at all. I LOVE driving the Enclave. You sit so high and the front windshield seems so wide and large, giving a good view of everything ahead and to the sides. I don't have any seats down, and I didn't buy those little round mirrors to stick on my side mirrors (don't need 'em).

Hope these posts put your mind more at ease. The visibility isn't great, no. But it's easy to adjust. And no, I don't have a DVD, thank goodness! :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts