EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not know where I should place this post but I think the problem is electrical so here it is. It was raining today so I turned on my wipers, including my rear wiper. They worked fine but when it quit raining I could not turn off the rear wiper. I toggled the switch repeatedly, tried the wash cycle for the rear, but I could not get the wiper to quit.

Unfortunately I am also 500 miles from my home since my mother has been in the hospital for 12 days now. I won't be going back home for a little while so I was hoping maybe someone had seen this problem and knew a trick to fix it. It appears the switch failed but I am not sure. The car has just over 6,000 miles. I am in the Lubbock area so I can also find a dealer if needed but I was hoping there might be a quick fix someone knew. It is not a critical problem but I don't want to drive back and forth to the hospital and then back home with my rear wiper constantly wiping a dry window.

I did search the forum and did not find any related posts but I could have missed. Thanks for all the help and I will update this later if I do indeed have to go to the dealer for some warranty work. I hope Lubbock has a good one!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Is there a fuse for the rear wiper that you can take out (temporarily of course, until you find time to get the car to a dealer)?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't had a chance to look and see which fuse goes to that wiper. I am hoping if I have to pull it that it is not also inline with other systems I might need.

Weird thing is I just got home from the hospital and halfway to my Dad's house the wiper quit. I was afraid to turn the switch on again to see if it would repeat. I did call Onstar on the way to see if there were any diagnostics they could run to see if it was a fault in the computer system(s) but I guess diagnostics is not 24/7 so I would have to call again tomorrow. I hope it stays off until I can get back home to take care of this with my dealer if needed. If this is an intermittent problem caused by wet weather that would not be too good since the wiper is for wet weather.

Still curious if anyone else has heard or seen this problem. I will keep you posted if/when it returns and can be fixed.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
the rear wiper has its own fuse.
There are 2 fuse blocks- one under the hood- and one in the car.
THe one in the car has a fuse labeled REAR WPR.
You can try pulling that one.

Look in your manual for the location of the panel.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I have no advice for you, but I can attest that this is the first such incident reported on the forum. I am sure that it is a simple issue, like the switch or a wire shorting somewhere. Good luck, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, here is the latest information on this problem. I thought I had a pattern figured out this morning on the way to the hospital. If I had my foot on the brake and then toggled the switch on then back off the wiper would stop. Unfortunately it would then start again about 30 seconds later. Later in the day I had my foot on the brake, toggled the switch and then it stayed off all the way back to my Dad's house (about 10 miles). I thought maybe the problem corrected itself but I restarted the car and it started wiping again.

I called OnStar again this morning but their diagnosis of the computer systems would not include the wipers - no info on any of the wipers from that angle but they sure had a list of computer systems on the car it would diagnose. The local Buick dealer would not have been able to look at it until Monday so I decided to pull the fuse. It is a 20A fuse located in the Instrument Panel fuse block (not the fuse block under the hood) that is on the passenger side underneath the glove box on the right side wall. You do not have to take the complete plastic panel off the bottom; the right side will open like a door but you will have to force it because it rubs the firewall side and then you have a problem getting it relatched. Also it would be easier to buy a monkey, tie a flashlight on his head, and train him to pull the fuses instead of pulling them yourselves. They are very hard to access and very hard to pull. I was not having much luck with the fuse puller that is included (but it is in the other fuse block) so I got a 9" needlenose plier and was able to pull it. But no more wiper! I will have the dealer from home look at this issue when I get back there, which might be a while. I will update on what they find later. Thanks for the help about the fuse.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
smankins said:
Also it would be easier to buy a monkey, tie a flashlight on his head, and train him to pull the fuses instead of pulling them yourselves.
That is funny as h*ll.

·
Registered
469 Posts
smankins said:
I did not know where I should place this post but I think the problem is electrical so here it is. It was raining today so I turned on my wipers, including my rear wiper. They worked fine but when it quit raining I could not turn off the rear wiper. I toggled the switch repeatedly, tried the wash cycle for the rear, but I could not get the wiper to quit.

Unfortunately I am also 500 miles from my home since my mother has been in the hospital for 12 days now. I won't be going back home for a little while so I was hoping maybe someone had seen this problem and knew a trick to fix it. It appears the switch failed but I am not sure. The car has just over 6,000 miles. I am in the Lubbock area so I can also find a dealer if needed but I was hoping there might be a quick fix someone knew. It is not a critical problem but I don't want to drive back and forth to the hospital and then back home with my rear wiper constantly wiping a dry window.

I did search the forum and did not find any related posts but I could have missed. Thanks for all the help and I will update this later if I do indeed have to go to the dealer for some warranty work. I hope Lubbock has a good one!
This has never happened in my Clave, but did happen with my 2003 Envoy. I turned on the wipers during a rain storm and when it was over I could not turn them off. They were on for 2 days solid. I even tried pulling the fuse, but they still stayed on. The only way they would turn off was by turning the key off. They quit by them selves after running for those 2 days and have never given me a problem since. My dealer told me that he thought the "park Switch" in the motor probably got stuck and it never new it was at the park position and just get going trying to find it. Eventually the switch opened and the motor found park and turned off. I was afraid it would happen the next time I used them, but that was over two years ago and they have worked fine since. :blob:

RCH

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
RCH said:
This has never happened in my Clave, but did happen with my 2003 Envoy. I turned on the wipers during a rain storm and when it was over I could not turn them off. They were on for 2 days solid. I even tried pulling the fuse, but they still stayed on. The only way they would turn off was by turning the key off. They quit by them selves after running for those 2 days and have never given me a problem since. My dealer told me that he thought the "park Switch" in the motor probably got stuck and it never new it was at the park position and just get going trying to find it. Eventually the switch opened and the motor found park and turned off. I was afraid it would happen the next time I used them, but that was over two years ago and they have worked fine since. :blob:

RCH
How could they run with no fuse?

·
Registered
469 Posts
kidsenclave said:
How could they run with no fuse?
I wondered that myself, but they would. Evidently the"park position" bypasses the fuse and only the key system turned to off will stop all power. When they started working again, I did pull the fuse to see what would happen and I could not turn the wipers on, but if the wipers were working and I pulled the fuse, then the wipers would continue until they parked and then stop. I could not turn them back on until I replaced the fuse.

RCH

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Yeah, funny this reminds me of when I see a van or SUV with the rear wiper in the vertical position (halfway thru a wipe cycle) and it's stuck there, must be something wrong with the "park" thing as well. Also, when you see front windshield wipers stuck in the up position, always wondered how that happens. I think most view the rear wiper as a luxury, and when/if it stops working, they never worry about getting if fixed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Front washer won't turn off!

Slightly related (or not?), just today the front windshield washer spray got stuck on in our 2008 CXL. Having the car suddenly shoot additional water on your window in the pouring rain isn't the safest thing. Luckily it emptied out the reservoir in about 2 minutes.

As an aside, for those who had the heated washer system removed, does the dash beep and display a warning about the system being disabled? I don't need to be reminded every 15 minutes that it's been taken out. Dealer tech says it's "normal" and my wife is accepting that for the time being.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
No, that's not normal. Back to the dealer...

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Re: Front washer won't turn off!

JimR1998 said:
As an aside, for those who had the heated washer system removed, does the dash beep and display a warning about the system being disabled? I don't need to be reminded every 15 minutes that it's been taken out. Dealer tech says it's "normal" and my wife is accepting that for the time being.
NO this is not normal had mine disabled and NO beeps..

The dealer MUST make this right!

·
Registered
6,491 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
:D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
smankins said:
Well, here is the latest information on this problem. I thought I had a pattern figured out this morning on the way to the hospital. If I had my foot on the brake and then toggled the switch on then back off the wiper would stop. Unfortunately it would then start again about 30 seconds later. Later in the day I had my foot on the brake, toggled the switch and then it stayed off all the way back to my Dad's house (about 10 miles). I thought maybe the problem corrected itself but I restarted the car and it started wiping again.

I called OnStar again this morning but their diagnosis of the computer systems would not include the wipers - no info on any of the wipers from that angle but they sure had a list of computer systems on the car it would diagnose. The local Buick dealer would not have been able to look at it until Monday so I decided to pull the fuse. It is a 20A fuse located in the Instrument Panel fuse block (not the fuse block under the hood) that is on the passenger side underneath the glove box on the right side wall. You do not have to take the complete plastic panel off the bottom; the right side will open like a door but you will have to force it because it rubs the firewall side and then you have a problem getting it relatched. Also it would be easier to buy a monkey, tie a flashlight on his head, and train him to pull the fuses instead of pulling them yourselves. They are very hard to access and very hard to pull. I was not having much luck with the fuse puller that is included (but it is in the other fuse block) so I got a 9" needlenose plier and was able to pull it. But no more wiper! I will have the dealer from home look at this issue when I get back there, which might be a while. I will update on what they find later. Thanks for the help about the fuse.
Well, I have been home for over a week now and finally decided to put the fuse back in for the rear wiper and see what happens. This was even harder than removing the fuse and I kept dreading the possibility of dropping the fuse while trying to install. This fuse box is located where a fuse could drop behind the carpet by the sidewall and firewall and then you would have to remove your mats, some trim, and pull up some carpeting to find. Luckily I did not drop the little fuse and after much effort and cursing I managed to put it back in.

The rear wiper did not come on by itself so I turned it on with the switch and was able to turn it off. I repeated this a few times and it stayed off each time. The car has not been driven around or in any wet weather since I did this so I will see if that makes any difference. I don't think I will waste my time going to the dealer until the problem repeats (probably will fail right after my warranty expires). However, I will mention it to them when I go in for the seat belt recall (I have been waiting on that so that my dealer can "learn" on another car before they cut into mine). At least I can get it on record, hopefully.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts