EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Just noticed this post and went back to begining. My comment and question is this: Did any other electical systems fail while fuse was out? My thought process is that 20A is an AWFULLY lot of current for a wiper motor,if that is the only ckt on it. ???

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
REDCXL said:
Just noticed this post and went back to begining. My comment and question is this: Did any other electical systems fail while fuse was out? My thought process is that 20A is an AWFULLY lot of current for a wiper motor,if that is the only ckt on it. ???
No, I checked that before pulling the fuse and the rear wiper motor is the only item served by that fuse. You might have a lot of current pull initially to get a wiper to move from its rest/stuck position but I am speculating here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well the rear wiper finally started misbehaving again after a long period of behaving (since late October 2010). Wouldn't you know it - it was when my daughter had borrowed our car for a few days after she was cleared to drive again (long story about an accident and her broken neck) by her doctor. She used the rear wiper during a recent snow storm here (about two weeks ago) and the wiper would not turn off as it did with me back in October of last year.
When I got the car back I tried many things but the wiper would not remain off - same symptoms as listed above. I called the dealer and set up an appointment to check it out today (Tue. 2/22/11). I had to go out of town last Friday so I pulled the fuse since the wiper is annoying when it won't quit. I replaced the fuse last night after we got back home and this morning when I started the car it wiped once and then quit!! I could not get the problem to repeat while driving to the dealer (typical ain't it).
The dealer checked some things out and then said the only conclusion they could reach would be there might be a problem with a logic controller on the rear wiper motor and they have ordered one. I did not know there was a logic controller on this motor. I will go back Thursday and they will install this and also check for loose wiring in the motor. I thought was very good of the dealer since I feared they would just say "It's working now - nothing we can do".
I will keep you updated on whether this fixes the problem although it might be hard to tell since it comes and goes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Another update: the dealer called me yesterday to let me know that GM did not have any stock of the part needed so it would be 2 or 3 weeks waiting on a part. Sounds like this might be a more common issue, at least for that part. Or... GM does not stock many parts.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
smankins said:
Another update: the dealer called me yesterday to let me know that GM did not have any stock of the part needed so it would be 2 or 3 weeks waiting on a part. Sounds like this might be a more common issue, at least for that part. Or... GM does not stock many parts.
Unacceptable. :banghead: :angryfire: :facepalm: Why are the parts so hard to get?, they are building the vehicles "right down the street" from me, how is it that dealerships can't get parts for the customer?. I'm waiting for the passenger side seatbelt casement, it's going on 6 weeks. I have a call into GM about it, and they called back but didn't give me any concrete answers to why this is.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
I suspect that your problem is so rare that GM does not stock this part so it doesn't have to sit on it for a long time. If this were a common problem, your posts wouldn't be the first and only about it.

It is annoying, however, that you are without a rear wiper for a few weeks. :(

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
I suspect that your problem is so rare that GM does not stock this part so it doesn't have to sit on it for a long time. If this were a common problem, your posts wouldn't be the first and only about it.

OK, I understand not stocking parts that will not be used, but when the assembly plant is still building vehicles just like what we are driving, how is it that parts can go there and not to the dealer?

:shrug: :tearhair:

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
If the part is sent to the dealer for warranty repair (GM loses money) instead of going into a new car to roll off the assembly line (GM makes money), there is one less car to sell as a result. ;)

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
GoldEnclave said:
If the part is sent to the dealer for warranty repair (GM loses money) instead of going into a new car to roll off the assembly line (GM makes money), there is one less car to sell as a result. ;)
That's not a reason....but I get your humor...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
GoldEnclave said:

I would guess that most Enclave owners would not be on this forum so there might be others with the same problem. However, I guess it is nice to be unique (maybe). Hopefully it does not become a common problem.

·
Registered
848 Posts
kidsenclave said:
That's not a reason....but I get your humor...
I would say that is probably pretty close actually. They probably have a stock of the items for production vehicles, and no extras. They aren't going to pull from that stock for a replacement and possibly jeopardize not having one for a new car. If it's a model specific part for the Enclave, they may only get new shipments once a month since it's not a high selling vehicle. so they may wait until the next order to get extras. So considering lead time is probably a couple weeks at a minimum on an order, I can see it taking a couple months for a part to get to a dealer.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
I understand they can't stock all parts at the dealer, other than the usual things they would need on an every day basis. However, you can't keep customers waiting this long for parts, IF it were something major. My trim pieces, the seatbelt casements,...NO BiG DEAL...Just that if it were something other than that, like a timing chain, a wiper motor (like the person in this thread), or something that would keep me from driving the vehicle, or using it normally, that's an issue. I accept that things break, I totally am fine with that, and am not saying vehicles will never need parts replaced. Just that the turn around time is terrible. These parts, like what's being put on the Enclaves at the plant right now, should be overnighted to the dealer the next day. I'll even drive over to the plant and pick up a part if that helps, but no one has given me that option. OH, and Grimm....I would say that the Enclave IS a high seller, it's very popular, and production is steady, I would think the parts suppliers would be churning out these parts on a regular basis.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My dealer called me about an hour ago and said the part just came in. ???? I don't know where the communication problem is but they seemed as confused as I am and said it just showed up. I will go in tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
848 Posts
kidsenclave said:
OH, and Grimm....I would say that the Enclave IS a high seller, it's very popular, and production is steady, I would think the parts suppliers would be churning out these parts on a regular basis.
I wouldn't call 4,000 a month high sales. To get the best price on parts, suppliers are probably running parts monthly so they can minimize setup costs running a large batch. Reality is, the replacement parts are probably just falling through the cracks of customer service at GM.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
smankins said:
My dealer called me about an hour ago and said the part just came in. ???? I don't know where the communication problem is but they seemed as confused as I am and said it just showed up. I will go in tomorrow and see what happens.
That's good news, glad to hear it. You can't be without your rear wiper for that long, especially in the winter months. (I see you are in TX...so... :-\)Let us know how long it takes to get this repair done, just curious if it's a day, or something you can wait for at the dealer. But anyway, that's more like it for turn around on parts.

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Grimm said:
I wouldn't call 4,000 a month high sales. To get the best price on parts, suppliers are probably running parts monthly so they can minimize setup costs running a large batch. Reality is, the replacement parts are probably just falling through the cracks of customer service at GM.
Sure on parts that are Enclave specific, but my seatbelt casements are the same as Acadia and Traverse, so the total Lambdas sold last month was over 18,000....so, just saying. And as for the wiper motor, I would assume those should be the same as well.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Kids I don't understand the delay on your parts. It only took just over a week for the seatbelt casement replacements for the "infamous" Outlook to come in. :-\

·
Registered
6,825 Posts
Sailfish said:
Kids I don't understand the delay on your parts. It only took just over a week for the seatbelt casement replacements for the "infamous" Outlook to come in. :-\
Well, if they are still not here by June 17th, I may have to swipe some off the floor of the plant. >:D I would have no problem driving over there to get a part if they would let me, it's just so weird that it takes this long, but like I said earlier....it's the principle of the thing, not that it's that big of a deal about the casements (actually ONE, I have the new driver's side). I think people understand that I'm not whining about how long a casement takes to replace, since I know there's MUCH more serious repairs that folks have had to endure.

As most know, I've been one on here to jump to GM's defense a lot, and I still will give benefit of the doubt on some things, but I'm getting a little annoyed why I can't get an answer why, that's all I want to know....WHY does the plant have parts, and the dealers don't?.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
19 Participants
Moodje
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing