EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
3Garchone said:
Same noise from a year ago. They replaced rack. I'm going in tomorrow to dealer. A post over in steering noise suggested GM's latest attempt would be per TSB PI0029E where they bump the hose diameter and grease the pinion shaft/ MAYBE............. Service mantra is always" Tech will have to listen,etc."
I was trying to find the actual service bulletin......................
There is a TSB 10029F which replaces the hose, steering gear housing, and the fluid used for the steering system. Here's a reply I made to someone over on the Saturn Outlook forum a week or so ago. Hope it will help you with getting rid of the noise.

Quote from: 6Sixathome on November 08, 2011, 08:57:49 AM
Where is the TSB on using Dex-VI for PS fluid? I just got my PS pump and rack replaced and the color of the fluid is NOT bright pink, it is new fluid fluid but it is more of an amber color.

6Sixathome, here are two posts I found on the Traverse board from September and October talking about the TSB #P100294 for the power steering noise. I could not find a printed copy of the TSB, only the references in these posts. Hope it helps you.

October post @ Michelle & @ CGIM5804, the dealer had it for 36 hours. Replaced steering housing & return hose. Bleed lines and replaced PS fluid with Dexron 6 (ATF) per TB PI0029F. Noise is gone and happy with level of service provided. Let's hope this clears the noise up. Fingers crossed...

September post Sent in my 2010 Traverse for this problem and picked it up this morning.

Obviously, GM updated the TSB to #P10029F. This is what's written on the invoice.

CAUSE: CHECKED FOR BULLETINS, #P10029F RUBBING NOISE. NEEDS STEERING GEAR HOUSING, HOSE AND UPDATED FLUID
CORRECTION: INSTALLED GEAR HOUSING, HOSE AND RECOMMENDED FLUID, FLUSHED SYSTEM OF OLD FLUID. MAY TAKE THE TIME TO GET ALL TRAPPED AIR OUT. MUST SETTLE OVR NT.
3Garchone said:
Same noise from a year ago. They replaced rack. I'm going in tomorrow to dealer. A post over in steering noise suggested GM's latest attempt would be per TSB PI0029E where they bump the hose diameter and grease the pinion shaft/ MAYBE............. Service mantra is always" Tech will have to listen,etc."
I was trying to find the actual service bulletin......................

·
Registered
957 Posts
Not sure if this is true, but my dealer said that TSB's are not covered after 36k. Anyone know if this is really true?

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
I guess hes right...
A TSB is a technical Service Bulletin.. not a recall.
Its a bulletin to help techs/service depts with issues. If its an issue it would fall under the bumper to bumper warranty and its fixed for free.
After that you pay...
Then again-- I thought Buicks have the 50,000 bumper to bumper....

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
My steering rack was replaced at about 47,000 miles, but the noise has been returning sometimes lately. My Enclave now has about 53,000 miles on the odometer. I wonder if the new procedure would still be covered by my warranty? If not, would it be covered by the new parts/repair warranty instead?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issue with the steering noise. My dealer performed PI0029F which replaced gear housing, inl hose, and Dexron VI. The noise is gone so far after they performed PI0029F since Jan 24th 2012. crossed my fingers!! I will post it if the noise come back again.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
drivebuick said:
I had the same issue with the steering noise. My dealer performed PI0029F which replaced gear housing, inl hose, and Dexron VI. The noise is gone so far after they performed PI0029F since Jan 24th 2012. crossed my fingers!! I will post it if the noise come back again.
Welcome to the forum. My dealer performed the same PI, two weeks ago. So far, so good. Although my car had about 56,000 miles on the odometer at the time, it was covered by warranty. :thumb:

·
Registered
124 Posts
drivebuick said:
Hi. Can you describe the noise you were experiencing? Ever since we bought a new 2011 Enclave I have noticed a slight but very un-quality sounding gurgling/swooshing sound that comes from the power steering system at slow speeds (doesn't matter if I'm turning the wheel or not). Normally we have the AC or heat on and then you can't hear it, but on the rare occasions that no HVAC is running it's really kind of annoying to me, so I would like to find out if this procedure will fix that. We are about to take the car in for regular service. Thanks. P.S. I know what a bad power steering pump sounds like and it's not that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
flguy said:
Hi. Can you describe the noise you were experiencing? Ever since we bought a new 2011 Enclave I have noticed a slight but very un-quality sounding gurgling/swooshing sound that comes from the power steering system at slow speeds (doesn't matter if I'm turning the wheel or not). Normally we have the AC or heat on and then you can't hear it, but on the rare occasions that no HVAC is running it's really kind of annoying to me, so I would like to find out if this procedure will fix that. We are about to take the car in for regular service. Thanks. P.S. I know what a bad power steering pump sounds like and it's not that.
my 2011 makes a sound too which seems to emanate from the steering column, kind of what you might imagine an electrical steering assist to sound like. annoying...
Bill

·
Registered
27 Posts
A few years back (about 7) I owned a Ford SUV and started having annoying steering noises after about 20K miles. Since that time, at every oil change, I have taken a food marinade injector (get the ones with the silicone seals -rubber will swell) and pulled out all of the power steering fuild I can remove from the resivoir and then pour in new factory spec fluid. Replaces half a pint or so. This in effect is an incremental replacement of fluid over time and keeps the fluid fresh and fairly new. It only takes a few minutes, the cost of the fluid is minimal, and I can tell you from the vehicles I have done this with that the steering has remained absolutely quiet for 100,000+ miles (the Ford at 100K and my 2012 Enclave so far at 16K).

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
I ran across this over on the Traverse board post #77.

#13079: Customer Satisfaction - Water Pump Shaft Seal Leaks - (Apr 5, 2013)

Subject: 13079 — Water Pump Shaft Seal Leaks

Models: 2009-2013 Buick Enclave
2009-2013 Chevrolet Traverse
2009-2013 GMC Acadia
2009-2010 Saturn Outlook
Equipped with HFV6 Engine (LY7, LLT)
THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL APRIL 30, 2015.

Condition
Certain 2009-2013 model year Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia and 2009-2010 model year Saturn Outlook vehicles equipped with HFV6 Engine (LY7, LLT) may experience leaks from the water pump shaft seal. These leaks are often due to vehicle operation with a low engine coolant level. Proper maintenance of the engine coolant level will increase shaft seal reliability and help ensure that the water pump operates as intended.

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=2430.msg38768#msg38768

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
That is interesting. Since my water pump was replaced last year, does my 2008 Enclave now have a 2009-2013 MY pump design, or is it a different pump altogether in the 2007-2008 lambdas?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sailfish said:
I ran across this over on the Traverse board post #77.

#13079: Customer Satisfaction - Water Pump Shaft Seal Leaks - (Apr 5, 2013)

Subject: 13079 — Water Pump Shaft Seal Leaks
Models: 2009-2013 Buick Enclave
2009-2013 Chevrolet Traverse
2009-2013 GMC Acadia
2009-2010 Saturn Outlook
Equipped with HFV6 Engine (LY7, LLT)
THIS PROGRAM IS IN EFFECT UNTIL APRIL 30, 2015.

Condition
Certain 2009-2013 model year Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia and 2009-2010 model year Saturn Outlook vehicles equipped with HFV6 Engine (LY7, LLT) may experience leaks from the water pump shaft seal. These leaks are often due to vehicle operation with a low engine coolant level. Proper maintenance of the engine coolant level will increase shaft seal reliability and help ensure that the water pump operates as intended.]

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=2430.msg38768#msg38768
Since when did antifreeze just start disappearing? If the coolant level is low it MUST have a leak. I've never heard of a vehicle consuming coolant without cause. Good way to point the finger GM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
small batch said:
Since when did antifreeze just start disappearing? If the coolant level is low it MUST have a leak. I've never heard of a vehicle consuming coolant without cause. Good way to point the finger GM.
EXACTLY!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Steering Wheel Noise (Rack and pinion)

I am the original owner of a 2008 fully loaded Enclave with 41,000 mi on it. I love the vehicle. However, my steering started squeaking at 31,000 and the dealership finally replaced the rack and pinion (after a LOT of appointments, arguments, complaining, etc and after the steering started freezing up, etc.)! Now, 2 years later, and at 41,000 miles, it's started squeaking again (my extended warranty expired 9 days before I took it in this time and GM won't honor it!) The dealership won't replace the rack and pinion even tho it appears to be in "failing" mode again (they only guarantee parts/service for 12 months) and they won't guarantee that the steering won't freeze up again. "They" tell me it's not a safety issue. I reminded them it wasn't a safety issue the last time either until the steering started freezing up!
They want $1,200 to repair it, so I left. Additionally, they charged me $500 to replace 2 Schrader valves, and recharge my AC system, plus an oil change - outrageous ripoff! Should have cost about $150 at most. Service manager suggested I take the vehicle to the originating dealership and ask them to help me out on the steering - Our tax dollars saved GM and this is how they repay us?

The moral of the story is find a good mechanic after your original warranty expires.

As for the steering noise, take it into the dealership immediately if it's under warranty. GM has redesigned the rack and pinion for 2013 and I am told (by the service manager) that the new design is excellent...won't squeak and won't seize up[/color].

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Re: Steering Wheel Noise (Rack and pinion)

Hello MediaB,

I am sorry to hear about this experience you had. Are you still looking to have the repairs completed? If so, I would be happy to look into the issue further for you since each situation is treated on a case by case basis. Would you mind sending me your name, address, phone number, VIN, current mileage, and name of involved dealer via private message?

Jessica
Buick Customer Care

MediaB said:
I am the original owner of a 2008 fully loaded Enclave with 41,000 mi on it. I love the vehicle. However, my steering started squeaking at 31,000 and the dealership finally replaced the rack and pinion (after a LOT of appointments, arguments, complaining, etc and after the steering started freezing up, etc.)! Now, 2 years later, and at 41,000 miles, it's started squeaking again (my extended warranty expired 9 days before I took it in this time and GM won't honor it!) The dealership won't replace the rack and pinion even tho it appears to be in "failing" mode again (they only guarantee parts/service for 12 months) and they won't guarantee that the steering won't freeze up again. "They" tell me it's not a safety issue. I reminded them it wasn't a safety issue the last time either until the steering started freezing up!
They want $1,200 to repair it, so I left. Additionally, they charged me $500 to replace 2 Schrader valves, and recharge my AC system, plus an oil change - outrageous ripoff! Should have cost about $150 at most. Service manager suggested I take the vehicle to the originating dealership and ask them to help me out on the steering - Our tax dollars saved GM and this is how they repay us?

The moral of the story is find a good mechanic after your original warranty expires.

As for the steering noise, take it into the dealership immediately if it's under warranty. GM has redesigned the rack and pinion for 2013 and I am told (by the service manager) that the new design is excellent...won't squeak and won't seize up[/color].

·
Registered
231 Posts
The steering rack, steering pump and right suspension component were replaced under 2009 Enclave factory warranty for the zipper sounds and rattling, etc., each under separate warranty visits, however the exact same symptoms ( zipper sound in steering and rattle now in left suspension ) have returned ( and factory warranty has expired ). I did purchase a GM extended warranty when I bought the vehicle, which does have a deductible, so although I feel this problem wasn't correctly resolved with the previous warranty repair, I want to at least be sure that it gets resolved in one visit if I have to pay the deductible.

I believe it needs the PI0029F repair, and would like to know if any forum members can recommend a GM dealer in the Vancouver BC Canada area that they have had success with getting the PI0029F done.

The dealer I purchased the Enclave from has since converted from a GM to a Chrysler dealership, so they no longer do GM warranty work so I would welcome referrals from others who have had good service with respect to this issue.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
rblt said:
The steering rack, steering pump and right suspension component were replaced under 2009 Enclave factory warranty for the zipper sounds and rattling, etc., each under separate warranty visits, however the exact same symptoms ( zipper sound in steering and rattle now in left suspension ) have returned ( and factory warranty has expired ). I did purchase a GM extended warranty when I bought the vehicle, which does have a deductible, so although I feel this problem wasn't correctly resolved with the previous warranty repair, I want to at least be sure that it gets resolved in one visit if I have to pay the deductible.

I believe it needs the PI0029F repair, and would like to know if any forum members can recommend a GM dealer in the Vancouver BC Canada area that they have had success with getting the PI0029F done.

The dealer I purchased the Enclave from has since converted from a GM to a Chrysler dealership, so they no longer do GM warranty work so I would welcome referrals from others who have had good service with respect to this issue.
I just had mine fixed for the second time. The first time was under B2B warranty, and they replaced the steering rack. This time under GMPP ($100 deductible) they replaced the rack (new design), the pump and refilled with PS (Dextron VI) as P10029F calls for. Seems to finally solved all the steering issues. Unfortunately I'm in Virginia.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
21 - 40 of 52 Posts