EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had serious problems with a property manager who managed rental houses for me in California, and I want to know what kinds of recourse are available to me.

Among the documented misdeeds are:

1) In August, 2017, he billed me for $1400 to replace light bulbs and fixtures. I paid him promptly. After I changed property managers, I found out from the new property manager in December 2017, that none of the lighting work had been done and that the occupants were complaining that there were barely any working lights in the house. In January of 2018, I contacted the previous manager via telephone and email to request a refund for the full amount of the lighting work, $1400, which had not been done. The manager said that he had to fire the electrician that he had engaged but had hired a new electrician and would get the work done. I told him that my new property manager had already taken care of the lighting work and that I just wanted my money back. He agreed to refund it, but no refund was delivered. I initiated another series of emails and phone calls over a period of several days, and he again agreed to refund the money within two days. Finally, one of his employees did drop off the refund check for the full billed amount, but I none of this should have happened. When the electrician he hired failed to perform, he should have let me know promptly and immediately engaged another electrician to do the work. I shouldn’t have had to find out, months after the fact, from the new manager that the work hadn’t been done and that my tenant had been inconvenienced and subjected to a safety risk from insufficient lighting in the house, which exposed to me a liability risk. Nor should I have had to spend dozens of hours to recover the payment for what constitutes a fraudulent bill, since the work paid for had not been done.

2) In September of 2017, he billed me for $100 for a replaced garage door opener remote, which I paid promptly. In December of 2017, I found out from the new property manager that the garage door opener problem had nothing to do with the remote. The replacement remote was a completely unnecessary purchase and did nothing to resolve the issue because the real problem was that the previous tenant had abused the garage door mechanism, which now needed $400 worth of repair to the hardware. I have requested a refund from the previous property manager for the unnecessary purchase of the replacement remote. My request has been ignored.

OTHER than small claims court, what kind of recourse do I have against this property manager, who is no longer engaged in managing my properties? I want to see that that he is appropriately punished for his misdeeds, and that others who might consider doing business with him know about his history of fraudulent repair billing.

A) What kind of criminal complaints can I file against him for his fraudulent business practices? How would I go about filing such complaint?

B) Can I sue him for his fraudulent actions in a regular civil case, rather than small claims court?

C) What city, county, or state agencies, such as a license board, can I file a complaint with?

D) What non-government agencies, boards, and/or associations can I file a complaint with so that his history of fraudulent billing will be available to potential clients?

·
Registered
431 Posts
What do you expect to claim? The $1400 was refunded, albeit slowly, so any court is going to rule that matter settled. It's not like you're due pain and suffering or anything over a temporary monetary dispute. That leaves you a $100 garage door remote. Is it really worth your time over $100? Besides that good luck proving that replacing the remote wasn't a valid troubleshooting step or that the original remote wasn't also broken in addition to the damage to the opener itself.

If his company is registered with the BBB you can file a complaint there.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The joys of rental ownership...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hello! I wаnt to sаy thаt money cаn solve mаny problems. Literаlly two yeаrs аgo I hаd to work аnd study аt college аt the sаme time. I hаd no enough time for sleeping. Now the situаtion hаs chаnged аnd I don't work аt аll. I visit https://topbrokers.com time to time аnd do trаding

·
Registered
15 Posts
it's better when you have your own property because you waste your money once and then you own it, but renting you waste your money permanently

1 - 6 of 6 Posts