EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We currently own a 2010 CXL (FWD). Wife really likes the car, it drives well, but... as many of us know, it has been a headache. Just replaced the rear AC lines, have vibration in the steering over 60 mph that nobody has been able to resolve, etc. We bought it used, have put less than 20,000 miles on it, but both of us are perpetually wondering what we'll need to fix next.

I've been looking at going a different route, and we've been looking at the Hyundai Palisaide. Drove it, like it, but I got to thinking, and realized price isn't all THAT much less than Enclave, so today I've been looking casually at what I could get a CPO or similar age Enclave for.

Prices look decent, BUT... not worth it to us if we still have similar reliability worries. For example - found a 2017 with under 50K miles for about $20K. The Hyundai is very slightly smaller than the Buick, and with 3 kids and two large dogs, space IS a concern, so just wondering if I should keep my options open.

So bottom-line.... compared to something like a Hyundai... how would you rate reliability on a newer Enclave? Reliability is wife's #1 priority. Luxury is nice, but shrug :).

(for reference, my daily drive is a 23 year old Mazda, so obviously luxury isn't my primary focus either, although I DO like driving the Buick)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The only problem we have had with our 2020 is the front sun shade rattles ever so slightly. Dealer is aware and we are waiting to bring it in when we have something to fix or an oil change.

·
Registered
73 Posts
When mine was in a small fender bender 2 months ago (ebike hit me) I had a couple of rentals while mine was fixed. One was the 2020 Explorer Limited, the other the Palisade. I was impressed with both, but as far as a useable third row, the Explorer was out. I was pleasantly surprised with the Palisade, and would seriously consider it as a replacement, though I think I like the look of the Telluride more. The engine was smooth and powerful, roomy interior, nicely laid out instrument panel and lots of safety features. (was a mid-line with cloth). Keep in mind that the next gen Enclave actually got slightly smaller as well. Would be best to check them out and compare in the same day.

·
Super Moderator
262 Posts
My 2018 has 20,000 miles and has had no issues except that the sunshade doesn't retract properly, which I will have them look at soon. I really like the Avenir. It is the most comfortable and quiet vehicle I have ever owned, and as you mentioned, it has lots of interior room.

The only experience I have had with Hyundai was a few years ago when I had to rent a Tucson for a week. For a fairly new vehicle, it was the biggest piece of garbage I have ever driven. With only 9k miles the odometer was broken, the seats were uncomfortable and the ride was the worst. Maybe the whole line has improved by now, but I would never buy either a Hyundai nor a Kia. Despite their supposed 10 year power train warranty, I have read about many non-power train issues that occurred beyond the primary factory warranty and were not covered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

We bought a 2014 Enclave about 2.5 years ago with 45k on it. We have put on 40k at this point (total 85k). We've replaced the battery, tires and I had a check engine light that I self diagnosed as a purge valve which I replaced myself. That's it. Not even brakes. I'm thinking that this has been a reliable vehicle. Oh, I forgot, we did a half shaft too. I was kind of surprised about that. Seems kind of early for a half shaft to go. We put a cheapo non GM one in for about $350 after labor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The only problem we have had with our 2020 is the front sun shade rattles ever so slightly. Dealer is aware and we are waiting to bring it in when we have something to fix or an oil change.
The Enclave sunshades are the worst and mine rattle too on some types of roads. I doubt there will be anything your dealer can do because they're not broken, just poorly designed and cheaply made. If they do something that works please remember to post it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I wouldn't call them the worst. I have no input to help with this post but, just wanted to say unless you've had a 2005 F150 you would understand.

·
Registered
62 Posts
We currently own a 2010 CXL (FWD). Wife really likes the car, it drives well, but... as many of us know, it has been a headache. Just replaced the rear AC lines, have vibration in the steering over 60 mph that nobody has been able to resolve, etc. We bought it used, have put less than 20,000 miles on it, but both of us are perpetually wondering what we'll need to fix next.

I've been looking at going a different route, and we've been looking at the Hyundai Palisaide. Drove it, like it, but I got to thinking, and realized price isn't all THAT much less than Enclave, so today I've been looking casually at what I could get a CPO or similar age Enclave for.

Prices look decent, BUT... not worth it to us if we still have similar reliability worries. For example - found a 2017 with under 50K miles for about $20K. The Hyundai is very slightly smaller than the Buick, and with 3 kids and two large dogs, space IS a concern, so just wondering if I should keep my options open.

So bottom-line.... compared to something like a Hyundai... how would you rate reliability on a newer Enclave? Reliability is wife's #1 priority. Luxury is nice, but shrug :).

(for reference, my daily drive is a 23 year old Mazda, so obviously luxury isn't my primary focus either, although I DO like driving the Buick)
My 14 e premium just turned 67,625, replaced tires and battery at about 65k otherwise it has never been in the shop. I do my own service as I am tired of the dealer and others trying to upsell a service I don't need.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Our 2008 has been remarkably reliable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all. The Enclave will stay in the running, worth driving a new one. We REALLY liked the Palisaide that we drove, and are a little gun-shy on a Buick based on the current experience, but when you're spending $40K+ on a vehicle, you'd better consider all the options :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
We have a 2018 Avenir with all the options. Only have about 8,000 miles on it now, but zero issues. We had the dealer flush and replace the transmission fluid due to the shudder issue these 2018 and up models were experiencing, not because we experienced it, but because we didn't want to have the experience so they handled the flush proactively. I can't say anything negative about it. We don't have any issues with the sunshades either.

·
Registered
7 Posts

We are driving our 3rd Enclave, 2009, 2012, and 2017. We have had absolutely no problems out of any of them. We keep going back because of the ride and quiteness. I have had many many cars down thru the years, but this is the only one I have bought twice or more.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought new a 2017 Enclave Leather with AWD and love it. In 30,000 miles the only problem was a rear climate control module that was replaced under warranty. The AWD works really well in the snow in the mountains and is so easy being totally automatic as needed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts