EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have remote start but the last few days at work I wish I had it. I wouldn't use it at home because I park in the garage, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it at a mall, for example, even though I'm sure it's quite secure. Just the thought of it out there running by itself in the middle of a parking lot. I wonder how often those of you who have it use it, and when? And does it really warm up in the little bit of time it's running before you get in or are the seats just warm? I am considering getting an after market remote start installed, if I don't have to put any ugly switches on the dash or anything.. Also, has anyone installed after market heat for the rear seats? I have a friend who is a certified master mechanic who teaches at the local college, who installed a heater in his wife's old Explorer (driver's seat). Works great. I'd like to put those in the second row seats.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Yes, I use mine all the time and I love it. There isn't a security issue because the doors stay locked until you use the key fob to unlock them. My experience would probably differ from yours. It is 65 degrees outside today - it was 80 earlier in the week. So, I use it to cool the interior - not heat it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
axiama, how long do you have to let it run to cool it down? (I suppose it's about the same amount of time to heat).

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've TRIED to use mine in various parking lots, I'll press it as I move toward the car, never works, the only place it works is in my garage and I press it from the kitchen (about 5 feet) :sosad: Then I have to open the door and press the garage door button so I don't asphyxiate. ;) I like it, just wish it worked for a distance longer than 5 feet.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
*Enclave* said:
I've TRIED to use mine in various parking lots, I'll press it as I move toward the car, never works, the only place it works is in my garage and I press it from the kitchen (about 5 feet) :sosad: Then I have to open the door and press the garage door button so I don't asphyxiate. ;) I like it, just wish it worked for a distance longer than 5 feet.
Ya gotta get to the dealer!! Mine works 7-12 cars away! (about 100-150 ft). It responds better it seems if front is visible to me. use it at restaurants and at work often. ;D

Still waiting for new remotes with LONGER range and 2-way com to see if it started, etc. Buick now says maybe Jan '08. I think they're having a distance problem!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Will it work as I'm walking to the car? Or are you usually standing still to start it? Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's been a high of 30 the past few weeks so I do like to use it but I only get the 8 ft range also. It's worth it to get the heat blowing but doesn't really warm the car in that short of a distance. I haven't made it to the dealer yet. I'm planning on my appt. the second week of January.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't think you need the aftermarket remote start. I think that all Enclaves have it, but you need to get the remote and perhaps the dealer may have to do something with a flipped bit or something.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I have to say, I use mine all the time, it is really my favorite feature. I live in upstate NY, I start it from my house, the car is about 75 feet away, by the time I go out, my window is defrosted and my seats are warm. It runs for 10 minutes and shuts off. I also shoot my remote through 4 interior walls and one exterior wall at a distance of 50 feet at work before I leave. I don't understand how some of you only have 8 feet of range?

·
Registered
405 Posts
bsox said:
I have to say, I use mine all the time, it is really my favorite feature. I live in upstate NY, I start it from my house, the car is about 75 feet away, by the time I go out, my window is defrosted and my seats are warm. It runs for 10 minutes and shuts off. I also shoot my remote through 4 interior walls and one exterior wall at a distance of 50 feet at work before I leave. I don't understand how some of you only have 8 feet of range?
Five feet :binky:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
That just is not right, take it to your dealer if you have time or have you?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use mine every day, I just wish that he 2-way would come out. I'm in northern MN, everybody has an autostart. If you don't, you leave the keys in it running. -32F last Sun., it takes more than 10 min. if you want warm seats. I time it and then run another cycle for 10 more mins.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
dwhsd said:
I don't think you need the aftermarket remote start. I think that all Enclaves have it, but you need to get the remote and perhaps the dealer may have to do something with a flipped bit or something.
Mom - we had a thread about this a few months back. Even if you don't have remote start you can still get it programmed as an aftermarket upgrade. Check with your dealer. Better yet, check the forum history.

And to answer your original question it only takes a few minutes to cool down. I'd say 2-3 minutes to bring the car to a comfortable temperature.

·
Registered
129 Posts
We have used ours quite a bit recently with the cold snap we have had for over 2 weeks now. It works just fine and I'd guess from at least 70-80 feet - no problem. Since we programmed the Enclave to open the garage door, we keep the old garage door remote in the house. We open the garage door by remote ( garage not connected to the house), start the Clave and let it run for a few and head out. Warmed seats are great! No concerns here!!

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
axiama said:
Mom - we had a thread about this a few months back. Even if you don't have remote start you can still get it programmed as an aftermarket upgrade. Check with your dealer. Better yet, check the forum history.

And to answer your original question it only takes a few minutes to cool down. I'd say 2-3 minutes to bring the car to a comfortable temperature.
Is dwhsd your "mom", Axiama?!!!! [/color] ;D ;D

·
Registered
29 Posts
*Enclave* There's no need to take it to the dealer. I was having the same problem but my husband has shown me the light. He was actually doing it unconsciously and didn't bother telling me. I kept wondering why it would work for him and not for me, especially since it's my car! It's was driving me nuts!! Finally last week, he asked me if I was pressing the lock button before I pressed the auto start and of course I said, "why would I do that if the car is already locked?" So sure enough, I pressed the lock button first and then I pressed the remote start and what do you know...It's started for me! And from miles away (well I'm exagerating here but the range it starts from is pretty nice!) I bet if you go outside and try it right now it will work for you...you'll be tickled pink when you hear him/her purr!

To answer the question...This is got to be one of my top favorite features of "Blue Eyes." Yes it's great to have the car warm and toasty when you get in but for me the best part is safety. Especially now in the fall w/it getting darker earlier. Walking to your car in a dark parking lot, and remote starting it from quite a distance makes people think that there's someone in the car waiting for you! I also didn't think I would use it much, but I use it all the time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks newgal! It COULD be that because if its in the garage I don't worry about locking it, so I know I need to lock it to get the remote start to work...but in a parking lot I KNOW I locked it, so I probably did not hit the 'lock' button again. I'll try today! Thanks!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I doubt that is the issue if the remote starts five feet away. It wouldn't start at all if you didn't hit the lock button. I know how to work the unit but the range isn't there. Another poster stated the reciever may be bad. That is what I am going to make sure they check.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
dwhsd said:
Does anybody know about this?? I can't imagine that the manufacturer would put the remote start "gadget" (?) in the vehicle unless it was ordered (and paid for) to have it installed. It would be cool, though, if that was true. 8)

·
Registered
360 Posts
Halle's mom said:
Does anybody know about this?? I can't imagine that the manufacturer would put the remote start "gadget" (?) in the vehicle unless it was ordered (and paid for) to have it installed. It would be cool, though, if that was true. 8)
It's true. Others on the forum have done it. I believe that it is also referred to in the manual. What a deal! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts