EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the factory remote start and was wondering if others with this option are a little disappointed with the range of the remote. I can lock and unlock doors at a farther distance than I can start the vehicle with the remote. It says just shy of 200 feet is the range in the owners manual, but I must get closer than that to use the remote start function. The lock and unlock work at what seems to be approximately the 200 foot range. Any comments?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Rollin Thunder said:
put the remote on your chin, it will get you much better range, i have proven it and its great.
huh?!?!?

G

·
Gmoney_2010 said:
since humans are conductive, and i have tested this by shocking my self with a spark plug starter, then you put the fob on your chin you get alot better grounding there by alot better range and reception for the fob,

a good analogy would be how a car phone gets better reception then a cell phone. car phone has mor grounding.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Charming video. Thunder, is the dropped open mouth required for the head trick to function? The guy looks like a goon standing there with his mouth open.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
It really does work. 8)

G

·
Mama2Girls said:
Charming video. Thunder, is the dropped open mouth required for the head trick to function? The guy looks like a goon standing there with his mouth open.
i never had my mouth open, i tried it from the 15 floor of a building, first with just pointing at it, didn't work, then on my chin and it did work,

but i hear that the new remote with the lcd screen is supposed to have 3 times the range of the stock one.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mama2Girls said:
It is a tacky video. But very effective and nicely geeky. Easy for us to laugh at the quality, but his video has over 200,000 views. Not bad. He gets the last laugh..

G

·
while were on this topic, has anybody tested the cellphone thing

where you can have someone at home on a cell phone with a remote and all you have to do is hold your cellphoine next to the door and it will unlock the door for you when the person at home unlocks the door.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
It doesn't have to be held against your chin. Usually I just let it graze my neck as I'm walking to the car. RT, next time your 15 stories up try holding it to a metal windowframe. I don't get the physics of it but that works too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Rollin Thunder said:
while were on this topic, has anybody tested the cellphone thing

where you can have someone at home on a cell phone with a remote and all you have to do is hold your cellphoine next to the door and it will unlock the door for you when the person at home unlocks the door.
I believe I saw this myth busted on a show like Mythbuster. It was a good argument that a cellphone cannot transmit the frequency of the key fob. The cellphone can only take analog audio signal, convert it to digital then convert it back to analog. But it's a good concept.

G

·
axiama said:
It doesn't have to be held against your chin. Usually I just let it graze my neck as I'm walking to the car. RT, next time your 15 stories up try holding it to a metal windowframe. I don't get the physics of it but that works too.
it has somthing to do with the grounding, the building is huge and grounded, so it makes a huge antenna.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the comments! I'll be trying the chin, neck and window frame theories this morning.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I'm kinda worried about you people...far too much time on your hands. I remember when I had to get up and walk 10 feet to change the TV channel. Maybe if you wrapped aluminum foil around the key fob like we use to do to the rabbit ears you could get more range...just be careful of alien contact >:D :cheers:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried all of your suggestions and none of them particularly increased the range of the remote. But when I wrapped aluminum foil around my ears and held the remote to my chin I started hearing the music from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". :confused:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
jacko said:
I tried all of your suggestions and none of them particularly increased the range of the remote. But when I wrapped aluminum foil around my ears and held the remote to my chin I started hearing the music from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind". :confused:
Now I think we are on to something (or on something). Try the foil around your ears with your Ipod on and push the remote with the tip of your tongue. If that doesn't work than I think we just need to contact Buick and complain. :drunk: :beer:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
I bet "The Professor" Roy Hinkley of Gilligan's Island fame could come up with something.
But then, he couldn't get them off the island........... ???

G

·
MRBUICK said:
I bet "The Professor" Roy Hinkley of Gilligan's Island fame could come up with something.
But then, he couldn't get them off the island........... ???
who would want to when your trapped with ginger. :hot:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Rollin Thunder said:
who would want to when your trapped with ginger. :hot:
too flashy, I'll take Mary Ann any day ;D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts