EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe (to the paint) to remove the dealer name sticker from the rear of the car? If so, how is this done to make sure to get it off completely and keep the paint unscratched?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am sorry, I dont know the answer to your question. But that is one thing I really hate. If you want me to advertise your dealership, give me some money or a discount on the car. I make it very clear that I will not accept delivery if the car has any badges, decals, etc of the dealership on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I seem to remember reading that you can use a hairdryer to soften the glue and then it can be removed (you might have to remove some residue glue (Goo-gone a citrus based cleaner). My son used this technique to remove his Sirius radio mount form his old car.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the gamper said:
I am sorry, I dont know the answer to your question. But that is one thing I really hate. If you want me to advertise your dealership, give me some money or a discount on the car. I make it very clear that I will not accept delivery if the car has any badges, decals, etc of the dealership on it.
I completely agree. What really ticks me off is, my car was delivered to the dealership and was only there for two days when i went to pick it up and they had already put their sticker on it, KNOWING THAT I WAS BUYING IT BEFORE IT EVEN ARRIVED (I had placed my deposit).

It just really tacks up the look of the car in my opinion. I want my car as visually clean looking as possible.

Besides, who else really cares where my vehicle came from? Sheez!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Make sure it's warm...and just peel it off. If it's an emblem, heat, then dental floss as a "saw" behind it. If just a sticker, peel it like any other sticker you would. Then a dab of polish and/or something like goo gone, if needed, afterwards.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I hope you can get it off easily. I think you can use dental floss and some heat if it is the 3D version. Goo be Gone may help if it's a sticker.
I have always made it very clear that I won't accept any stick on advertisement on my vehicles. The salesmen know they will get much better word of mouth advertisement from a happy customer than one who is left dealing with something I need to remove. I have noticed in my area the dealers are moving to license plate covers. That isn't a big deal b/c it is easily removed.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Enclavious said:
CaddyCruiser, We must be on the same wavelength today. ;)
Hah! Yes...I think we are :thumb:

·
Registered
118 Posts
civileng68 said:
Is it safe (to the paint) to remove the dealer name sticker from the rear of the car? If so, how is this done to make sure to get it off completely and keep the paint unscratched?
I got rid of our unwanted dealer decal with the help of a good sharp X-Acto knife, very powerful reading glasses, a comfortable stool and a steady hand. Every letter, coma and period came off without a trace left behind. It took a while, VERY CAREFULLY picking up the corner of every letter and then pealing it off, but the decal was successfully removed. A little patient pealing does the trick. I used some Turtle wax to remove a few traces of adhesive after the decal was removed.

·
Registered
466 Posts
The dealer had one on the back of mine when I went to collect it. I told them I would want a fee to advertise. They took it round the back and took it off.

I have in the past used hot water if vinyl , hairdryer if metal with sticky pad . If you have any sticky left use some WD40 on a soft cloth that removes the glue, then polish. If you think you see an outline Maguiars scratch off works well.

De-badge and keep them guessing

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im taking mine in the shop tomorrow to add some accessories (mud flaps, running boards and sunroof visor). Do you think if I asked, they'd take it off for me there? it's not the same dealership I bought it at though, will that matter?

·
Registered
360 Posts
civileng68 said:
Im taking mine in the shop tomorrow to add some accessories (mud flaps, running boards and sunroof visor). Do you think if I asked, they'd take it off for me there? it's not the same dealership I bought it at though, will that matter?
I'm sure that a dealer will be more than happy to remove another dealer's label. :drunk:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Mapper said:
I got rid of our unwanted dealer decal with the help of a good sharp X-Acto knife, very powerful reading glasses, a comfortable stool and a steady hand. Every letter, coma and period came off without a trace left behind. It took a while, VERY CAREFULLY picking up the corner of every letter and then pealing it off, but the decal was successfully removed. A little patient pealing does the trick. I used some Turtle wax to remove a few traces of adhesive after the decal was removed.
CAUTION........I tried the X-acto knife route once, and disaster! No more pointy objects for me! ;) Those with less steady hands should stick to dental-floss or the old stand-by..........fishing line!
Wd-40 works miracles, afterwards! who wants their **** emblem/sticker??????
Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
From WD-40 website:
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain. WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents.

WD-40 removes sap, tar, adhesives, labels and tape from surfaces without damaging existing paint. It's an effective cleaner for tools, equipment, and vehicles. Use it to remove splattered bugs from the front of cars. WD-40 will even help remove gum from carpet. Just spray, wait, and wipe with a clean cloth.[/color]

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just took my car by the Buick Service Center to have some mud-guards, running board and moonroof visor put on. However, I mentioned that they could remove the dealership's name from the car and the guy proceedes (right in front of me) to fingernail it off!!!!!!!

I ALMOST WENT BALLISTIC!

He stopped midway through but unfortunately now it's behind closed doors and I sure hope they take care of it in the rest of their work.

·
Registered
333 Posts
civileng68 said:
I mentioned that they could remove the dealership's name from the car and the guy proceedes (right in front of me) to fingernail it off!!!!!!!

now it's behind closed doors...
Just hope he doesn't have a claw hammer in his toolbox :angryfire:

·
Registered
466 Posts
Claw hammer - that is a skilled mans tool.

If is the pry bar for him - large blunt chisel or maybe welding torch.

Not to worry though. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
CAUTION........I tried the X-acto knife route once, and disaster! No more pointy objects for me! ;)
Hear ya Smokin SRX. I would have tried the dental-floss or fishing line method first had I heard of those tricks before I set out to remove the decal. However, I did manage to finish the job without any damage that I noticed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We removed our's by using dental floss only. It keept breaking but we just kept trying. When the decals were off, we just used our fingertips to clump the residue off. After that, we just used soap and water then we waxed the area. We took off everything on the back except the word "Enclave". The picture below still had the CXL but I eventually took that off also.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts